The good, the bad and the ugly

Started by AndyA60, June 18, 2019, 06:15:08 PM

AndyA60

Hello folks
still a semi newbee here, interesting reading through old posts. you actually garner allot of information and questions that you have in the back of your mind but were afraid to ask. Mostly about the "uglies" of course. Folks want to know if people have or had felt like themselves at one time so they dont feel odd in feeling or thinking what they do.

That being said, the "uglies"  go ahead, spill your beans, what uglies have you experienced in CAP? I think newbees would like to know what their imaginations create and if they are real....

Eclipse

Or we could not...that would be OK too.

There's plenty of whining gnashing of teeth complaining discussion of the less effective areas of CAP on here
already that comes about organically. I've contributed plenty myself.

We don't need a thread(s) intended for specific purpose.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

CAP follows a Boom and Bust cycle in all things, from the newest entrant into the squadron to the national commander.

But the one thing that I can say makes a difference more than anything else is climate of command at each level.

A squadron commander that acts as an enabler instead of a gatekeeper can run a robust program for a long time. A gatekeeper can grind things to a total halt.

The same follows for group commanders, wing commanders, et al right up to the top.

The only thing worse than gatekeeper IMO is a micromanager. They can change the climate of a squadron or wing almost instantly.

Somewhere in between the two is the NORDO commander that never approves anything because you can never seem to get time to talk with them.

After the above, everything else is just process and politics noise.

TheSkyHornet

Uglies:

• Often little to no initial training or guidance or new senior members
  • A lot of over-zealous/gung-ho personnel who may over-volunteer (do everything, excel at nothing)
  • People who avoid recurrent training or use their past to compete with the present (A.K.A. "I already know everything" and "back in my day")

Positives:

• A lot of people willing to learn and progress in their respective areas
  • Very dynamic environment that present challenges and new experiences to learn from
  • Newer training curricula and programs are becoming much more developed and productive (i.e., quality guidance)

CAPCom

Cadets who suddenly get a case of teenage behaviors in the way of pouting, insubordination, and disrespect.  I mean, how dare they act like typical teenagers, right?  ;)

Kayll'b

One of the things I've been seeing rescently is high ranking cadets who pass the tests, but don't have any leadership skills.

also, a question, does stripes to diamonds have a regulation stating the "leadership expectations" as a requirment for promoting, or is that just something cadets are supposed to think about?
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

Flying Pig

Everyone has their own experiences in CAP.  I was in for 20+ years as a cadet and senior.  Ive read forums on FB and social media about CAP and they are numerous.  Many of the "uglies" people relay Ive never seen.  Not that they dont happen, but dont taint the prospective membership with dynamics that may not exist in the unit they may end up joining.   Id venture to guess most of the uglies in CAP are interpersonal.  They arent issues within CAP as a program.   

AndyA60

Thanks to you all, I didnt mean ugly as in bad experiences at all, I mean in trying to understand things that need additional information or input, or the hard spots the hard tests the harder aspects. So anything of value is what I am looking for. All in all I am impressed with the cadets, its rare to have kids so focused, I like seeing that. Also working with such a large organization do you have any tips to avoid burn out, over achieving etc.
thanks!

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Kayll'b on June 19, 2019, 03:10:52 AM
One of the things I've been seeing rescently is high ranking cadets who pass the tests, but don't have any leadership skills.

Very common, and unfortunate.

Quotealso, a question, does stripes to diamonds have a regulation stating the "leadership expectations" as a requirment for promoting, or is that just something cadets are supposed to think about?

The leadership expectations are listed on bottom of the Cadet Super Chart and also on the CAP 60-90 series feedback form:

Super Chart — https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPVA_60100_1CAF4A9C48C91.pdf
CAPF 60-90s — https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/library/60-90