Unit Website Initiative Launch Date announced!

Started by Eclipse, January 18, 2019, 07:19:47 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Holding Pattern on February 04, 2019, 05:29:03 PM
Quote from: etodd on February 04, 2019, 05:24:58 PM
Thanks for the links.  Anyone with experience in developing Wordpress websites (which is free software) and looks at this new system, realizes its WordPress at its core with a simple "front end" attached to it so SiteViz can charge big bucks for something that is in the public domain.  Gotta love entreprenuership. Amusing as heck.  ;D

Amusing with the exception that I know our membership money and/or my tax dollars are being wasted on this instead of communicating with the membership at large for methods of doing this first...

Not to mention volunteer time and initiative, which NHQ generally thinks is "free" and "infinite" resulting in the scores of unfunded mandates
that never get fully implemented and then die on the vine for the next shiny.

The organization as a whole already has standard, robust, free services offered by international companies people have actually heard of in place and working as intended and designed.

To etodd's point above, popular vote?  No, but with member and stakeholder input?  Certainly and that should be a mandate.

NHQ makes a lot of hay about how important the volunteers are, and then makes decisions for stakeholders by disinterested parties,
resulting often in those stakeholders disengaging.  Does this happen the first time new guy butter bar gets stopped midstride and told
what he did has no value and do "other"? 

No.

It starts happening the third or fourth time, coincidentally when these same members start getting a clue, and when their experience and
training could start to be most valuable.

Is this a good time to mention that the WMU, which was ordered shut-down during Gen Bowling's tenure is still up and in active use
because various needs are still not being met for the field?

Or that despite all the verbiage about "branding" the credit provider is still issuing cards with the "US" version of the Majcom, and that
NHQ sites and documents themselves contain not only prohibited insignia, but some that were never correct to start with?

What if before starting another initiative, that everything that is already in place was corrected properly?

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on February 04, 2019, 06:25:46 PM
Quote from: Holding Pattern on February 04, 2019, 05:29:03 PM
Thanks for the links.  Anyone with experience in developing Wordpress websites (which is free software) and looks at this new system, realizes its WordPress at its core with a simple "front end" attached to it so SiteViz can charge big bucks for something that is in the public domain.  Gotta love entreprenuership. Amusing as heck.  ;D

Amusing with the exception that I know our membership money and/or my tax dollars are being wasted on this instead of communicating with the membership at large for methods of doing this first...

Not to mention volunteer time and initiative, which NHQ generally thinks is "free" and "infinite" resulting in the scores of unfunded mandates
that never get fully implemented and then die on the vine for the next shiny.

The organization as a whole already has standard, robust, free services offered by international companies people have actually heard of in place and working as intended and designed.

To etodd's point above, popular vote?  No, but with member and stakeholder input?  Certainly and that should be a mandate.

NHQ makes a lot of hay about how important the volunteers are, and then makes decisions for stakeholders by disinterested parties,
resulting often in those stakeholders disengaging.  Does this happen the first time new guy butter bar gets stopped midstride and tole
what he did has no value and do "other"? 

No.

It starts happening the third or fourth time, coincidentally when these same members start getting a clue, and when their experience and
training could start to be most valuable.

Is this a good time to mention that the WMU, which was ordered shut-down during Gen Bowling's tenure is still up and in active use
because various needs are still not being met for the field?

Or that despite all the verbiage about "branding" the credit provider is still issuing card with the "US" version of the Majcom, and that
NHQ sites and documents themselves contain not only prohibited insignia, but some that were never correct to start with?

What if before starting another initiative, that everything that is already in place was corrected properly?

That's as silly as holding ourselves to the publications moratorium and not pushing out the half-assed Continuous Compliance initiative until the publications rewrite is done.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 04, 2019, 06:25:46 PM

Come on Bob, you know that we'd never get anywhere if we did everything in a "massively serial" way.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jeders

Quote from: arajca on February 03, 2019, 06:57:54 PM
Well, it's two days past when National said information would be available on the Information Technology page. Has anyone seen it? I can't find the IT page on Eservices or Gocivilairpatrol.com.

I just looked at the notification, and the date has been moved to 7 Feb. Hopefully we'll see something in a couple of days.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JeffDG

Quote from: Holding Pattern on February 04, 2019, 06:50:59 PM
That's as silly as holding ourselves to the publications moratorium and not pushing out the half-assed Continuous Compliance initiative until the publications rewrite is done.
Or...getting dinged on a CI because your wing doesn't have a supplement that's required by a regulation, such supplement has been waiting for NHQ approval (which by regulation NHQ is required to approve or disapprove with comments within 30 days) for over a year.

NIN

Speaking as someone who has used SiteViz, you have no idea what you're saying.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Quote from: NIN on February 05, 2019, 08:31:07 PM

Speaking as someone who has used SiteViz, you have no idea what you're saying.

Looking at the published instructions thus far could be copy and paste from a Wordpress instructions.  Permissions for Editors, Authors, etc.  ... all the same as WP

The text area entry box with its editing controls over it, standard WP as well.

Looking at the code of the SiteViz website shows lots of similarities.

Most database driven websites ARE very similar. But the more I look into this one the more similarities to WP I see.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

chuckmilam

No, no...it can't be the evil, insecure open source WordPress.  This is the much better "secure source" paradigm.  /s

etodd

Quote from: chuckmilam on February 06, 2019, 01:41:40 AM
No, no...it can't be the evil, insecure open source WordPress.  This is the much better "secure source" paradigm.  /s

LOL

You know, I get the OPSEC stuff for WMIRS and eServices. But our Squadron website is strictly marketing and advertising. "Hey Come Visit Us!"

Are there really that many Squadrons building websites with content that would be considered OPSEC issues? Seems like anything like that should be on WMIRS or eServices. What are these folks doing?

Spaceman3750

I look at malware and compromised websites as a routine part of my day job. A not insignificant percentage of those sites are WordPress. It wouldn't be my first choice.

But, in the words of this one guy on Facebook, "no one wins internet arguments."

chuckmilam

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 06, 2019, 04:32:22 AM
A not insignificant percentage of those sites are WordPress.
Anything is vulnerable if it's not updated.  Modern WordPress installations can be configured to update automatically.  The problems tends to arise when someone gets the blogging itch and then neglects to update the site back-end for years.   

GZCP31

I just checked and found that the "CAP Website Request Form" is in Internet Operations in eservices. To get to it, you must be part of IT for the unit.
You will need a primary, and secondary Administrator for the site. The Websites will be www.SITENAME.cap.gov
After you submit the form, the unit Commander will need to approve. then it will go to NHQ.
Former OK Wing DCL/DCA Mid 90s, Rejoined after 17 years out.
Capt. Communications-Master
Squadron Deputy Commander, Emergency Services Training Officer,  Professional Development Officer,  Administration Officer, Personnel Officer, Communications Officer and Aerospace Education Officer, Texas Wing DOU

Eclipse

So who decides the sitename?  Is there a standard? 

I would vote that it should be the charter number as that is least likely to change, but names and types can and do.

PCR-NV-666.NVWG.CAP.GOV?
PCRNV666.NVWG.CAP.GOV?

FLYOVERCOMPOSITESQUADRON?

GROUPSIXSIXSIXHEADQUARTERS?

GROUP666HEADQUARTERS?

GROUP666HQ?

For that matter why would it not be:  NVWG.CAP.GOV/NELLIS?

"That Others May Zoom"

GZCP31

Former OK Wing DCL/DCA Mid 90s, Rejoined after 17 years out.
Capt. Communications-Master
Squadron Deputy Commander, Emergency Services Training Officer,  Professional Development Officer,  Administration Officer, Personnel Officer, Communications Officer and Aerospace Education Officer, Texas Wing DOU

JeffDG

Quote from: GZCP31 on February 07, 2019, 09:41:12 PM
I did not see any standards listed.
Pffft...Standards.  We don't need no stinking standards...

etodd

Quote from: GZCP31 on February 07, 2019, 08:54:30 PM

The Websites will be www.SITENAME.cap.gov

Wow. So back to square one marketing wise, since our dotcom domain already has excellent Google and Bing placement.  As well as on much of our printed literature, out there in public hands. Ouch!

No replies to this post needed.  I'm just amused. We'll use both domains, will follow orders and enter info into this new template, and keep chugging along.

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on February 07, 2019, 09:06:07 PM

Well having your city's name would help with Google searches. For example:

www.juneausquadron.cap.gov

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on February 07, 2019, 10:32:07 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 07, 2019, 09:06:07 PM

Well having your city's name would help with Google searches. For example:

www.juneausquadron.cap.gov

Looking at my Wing, only about 1/2 the charters have a name related to a geographic location.

Interestingly, it's more common in the more rural areas.  The others are names after airports, former airports,
people, and other.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on February 07, 2019, 10:43:03 PM

Looking at my Wing, only about 1/2 the charters have a name related to a geographic location.

Yes. Most websites get started by computer geeks ... instead of advertising/marketing folks.  :(

The two should work more closely together.