Main Menu

Laptop Bags

Started by jimmydeanno, February 24, 2009, 01:30:52 PM

Eclipse

Maxpedition makes great stuff - I have a leg bag from them that has been through it and back...

"That Others May Zoom"

Pumbaa

Quote from: MSgt Van on March 23, 2010, 09:39:33 PM
I can hear it now:

Cadet "Sir, I can't get this ELT to shut off"
Pumbaa "Stand back..."
  ;D

OK.. now THAT made me really laugh out loud...  You got me pegged for sure!

Mustang

Quote from: MSgt Van on March 23, 2010, 01:32:44 PM
Anybody tried the SI computer bag from Oakley Government Sales?
https://secure.usstandardissue.com/Product_Detail.cfm?id=160
The SI computer bag is a BIG bag. Too big, if you don't pack a 17" widescreen laptop around.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2010, 11:12:07 PM
Nothing like a visit from the UPS lady!

First impression?  Perfect.

Everything I had in the old bag fits fine and the Sandbag is much more compact. 100% my new "Tactical Purse",
and I will be recommending it to anyone who will listen despite it being discontinued.  I wanted something
rugged, but that would not look too out of place in a meeting room setting.  If color is not an issue, I found
sources that had the same bag in a silver-camo pattern for about $30 less than the $80(ish) I paid for this one.

First a comparison of the two:

The main problem with the old one was that while it was bigger, it wasn't bigger in a useful way.
It would probably fit a 17" desktop replacement machine, but I don't need that, and the larger pouches
just wind up making it harder to pass through doors, etc. This and not having a backpack capability
were the issue.
On a very rare occasion I hooked a Blackhawk tube-style stuff bag with clothes off the back, which was handy but made it
even harder to carry, and I never did find anything to hook on those front top loops.

This is everything going in, and exactly what was in the old one:

Dell D630 Notebook and power supply.
InStand with shelf
Clearspot mobile access point with accessories & power supply
Notebook presenter mouse in case
Caffeine Hype kit including a  Sea To Summit X-Mug collapsible mug and Spork (thanks NIN!)
Targus wireless presenter (new version)
LED flashlight
Leatherman PST in concealment holster
Travel and car power adapters for USB & cables
Ethernet cable
Various Mapping tools
Fisher Bullet-style Space Pen
Business card holders (2)
Mini first aid kit
Mini stapler & staples
Chunk of CAP keys
USB flash key
Page flags
Mints

This is the new one fully packed.  A place for everything and everything in its place. Exactly what I was looking for.

The bag comes with three strap options - handle, messenger strap, and backpack - no more swapping bags for the
train or plane, and has optional hooks for a shoulder strap - considering the number of "Tactical Purses" I have in the
basement, I may throw a shoulder strap in the bag as well - there is a zipped pouch on the bag to hold the straps
when not being used.
Check here for pics of the messenger and backpack strap modes:  http://www.ebags.com/oakley/ap_sandbag_2_0/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=116924

My two whines - the side left/right pockets are not quite big enough for the Dell power brick, so they don't close as securely
as the old bag.  Decision time on a bigger pocket or a smaller power supply.  There also is no hook inside for that chunk of keys -
that's fairly easily remedied.  The stand fits very nicely in the bottom of the main stuff pocket, like it was made for it.

There's been some gnashing of teeth in various review sites about the bag unhooking when used in messenger mode
and falling off the shoulders.  I won't know if that is a design issue or user error until I have tried it for a while, but
to be safe I might change the attachments from the included sliders to some positive hooks.

All in all, big win and glad I asked the question again here...

OK - Necrothread, I know.

After prolonged use, not so perfect.  The bag itself it awesome - sturdy, compact, fits great under an airline seat, etc.

However, as whined on various sites, the slide for the backpack option comes off far too easily - not fun.  I've actually had to go back to
my faithful, ragged, Targus backpack.

I've become an almost Clooney-esque business traveler, having many times to drag these:

through airports and convention centers, so being hands-free and confident I'm not going
to drop my notebook(s), etc. is important.

I almost lost the thing one time in DC, it came loose after some wriggling around, but I was able to
catch it and bring it down to a soft landing.

Any idea how I can retro-fit the straps to hold more securely?  It has to be some thing that maintains
the unobtrusive convertibility, which was the main selling feature to me on this bag.

I'm pretty good with a grommet tool and a sewing machine, but don't want to destroy the thing.
NIN, can you post a photo of how yours attaches?

Otherwise this one is going to wind up on eBay and the hunt will be back on.

Also, if anyone has found anything new or tasty in a notebook bag, I'm looking.  Maxpedition
has some nice stuff, but I really want something in a sling or a convertible.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2010, 06:02:33 PM
I'm pretty good with a grommet tool and a sewing machine, but don't want to destroy the thing.
NIN, can you post a photo of how yours attaches?

Well, mine is v1.0 of that bag, and its *totally* different.  I can't post pics at the moment, but give me a little bit and and I will. Suffice, to say, the lower part of the sling is firmly attached within the lower part of the bag (within a little zippered compartment, even), while the upper part (the part that attaches to the bag near the handle) zippers and velcros on, and has this nifty-shifty B-12 ejector clip (with some velcro) to hold the whole thing together in the middle.   The upper sling comes off, and you can pull out sort of a "yoke" arrangement from a zippered compartment under where it attaches, unsnap the one B-12, attach it to the yoke (where it has a corresponding one) and the whole thing clips to some goofball Oakley vest.

How is yours slipping?  Do you need different/better tri-glides?  maybe some bartacking on the strapping?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

After looking at yours in various configurations on the web, it is obvious they are vastly different animals.

I want that bag and the AP vest to go with it!

I actually found one on eBay that is being sold locally, just have to decide if I want to plunk down more $$$ on another Tac Purse.  The fact that my next couple of trips require that I carry two notebooks (a Dell and a MAC) isn't helping since I bet they wouldn't both fit anyway.

Quote from: NIN on October 10, 2010, 12:18:29 AMHow is yours slipping?  Do you need different/better tri-glides?  maybe some bartacking on the strapping?

The issue is the way the straps connect, which is a pretty cheesy slider that has an almost non-existent stop at each end.  It's fine for a casual walk or standing in a line at TSA, but start rocking the weight around and it pops off.  I can't tell if it is sliding off the end or just pulling directly off the slider.  I was hoping to change the clips to something more akin to what yours has on the strap ends and some grommets, etc., on the bag, but most of what I have come up with would either wreck the bag or look like poop.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Hmmm. Weird.  Here, visit http://tinyurl.com/3xwquxm  (thats a link to a gallery in my Picasa) that shows how the sling comes apart on my bag and you pull the yoke out so you can attach the B-12 clips to go on the vest.

Honestly?  I think that vest is goofy as hell and I wouldn't get caught dead wearing it. YMMV. :)

gotta tell you: That bag is pretty darn versatile.  I've had zero problem in sling mode. never need backpack mode.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.