Main Menu

Going for the Ham License

Started by ThorntonOL, January 17, 2009, 04:53:29 AM

ThorntonOL

Oh is it ever, I have been doing pretty decent on the practice exams for Tech but get to the General practice tests oh is it fun.
Starting to get a headache so I stopped studying for the night as it's near bedtime and i need to get up in the morning but doing some last minute reading.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

ThorntonOL

A little update, have been doing well enough on the Tech practice exams that I'm ready to take it, but I'm holding off so I can at least get General with it, cheaper that way.
Looking forward a Ham Fest they have locally to pick up some gear. (hopefully)
Mainly working on studying and am hoping to get some interest in the unit and getting them started on it if anyone shows interest, then maybe we can just have the test there. (There's a group who has enough people with the right Quals. who said if we had a group who wanted to test they were willing to come down and set it up.)
Well if anything changes I let you folks know.
BTW for anyone who IS going for anything Ham test wise the fee this year is $15.
NY-292

drcomm

David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

Major Lord

When I took my Tech test, the code was still a requirement. I took the General in the same sitting, and passed, but could not get the General class ticket until I passed the (now defunct) code test. (I took it again later, after the code was gone)  If you can get a high score on the Tech, take the General Class too. Anyone in CAP (especially Cadets) should be able to play the mutiple guess test  game and pass the General with but a little luck! Pay your money, and take your chances-there is no penalty for failure!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

dwb

I took Technician and General at the same time, but I didn't plan it that way, so I never really studied for General, and didn't pass (it was a last-minute decision to take both).

I don't think it's that big of a deal to start with only Technician.  If you're not sure how you're going to participate in the hobby, and you don't have any equipment yet, you may be better of just taking Technician.

capchiro

Go for tech and general together, it's not that much more studying and the concepts and theories make sense at the time you are learning them.  The tech rating is fairly restrictive and the general opens up almost everything to you.  Cram for the exams, get the license and start to play.  That is when all of the real learning will come in.  Also, find a good local Ham club and you will have more help than you can handle.  KE4QBB
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

DesertFlyer

Good luck on the ham exam.  Ham radio is great fun and a good way to learn and practice the technical and operational aspects of radio that we use in CAP. 

One thing to keep in mind about the GROL is that a new senior member with the GROL can be promoted immediately to 1st Lt in CAP based on the GROL.  It's a mission-related skill, like pilot or medical qualifications.

The GROL dates back to about 1984, when the FCC discontinued the old Radiotelephone Operator First Class license, which was required for broadcast engineers.  Prior to that the radiotelephone license structure included the Third Class (DJs and some marine users), Second Class (2-way operators and repair technicians) and First Class (broadcast), in addition to the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (pilots, etc.). 

I got my First Class with radar endorsement in 1979, and was highly disappointed when my renewal was to a "downgraded" GROL because of the discontinuation of the First Class.  On the other hand, the GROL is for life, so you don't have to worry about renewing.

Any others out there who had the old "First Phone"?

Dave Finley, N1IRZ (Extra Class)
Lt Col Dave Finley, CAP
Socorro Composite Squadron
New Mexico Wing

Semper Fidelis -- Semper Vigilans

JoeTomasone

Quote from: DesertFlyer on January 27, 2009, 05:04:09 PM

One thing to keep in mind about the GROL is that a new senior member with the GROL can be promoted immediately to 1st Lt in CAP based on the GROL.  It's a mission-related skill, like pilot or medical qualifications.

The irony, of course, being that the skill that the GROL implies (repairing radios) is the skill that CAP needs least, since all Corporate equipment goes to the NTC nowadays..   :)

Al Sayre

Someone still has to rig the antennas and explain to cadets why you can't just stick the red and blue wires in the light socket... i.e. the smoke theory of electronics:  All electronic devices operate on smoke.  If you let the smoke out of the device it will no longer work properly.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 27, 2009, 05:56:38 PM
Someone still has to rig the antennas and explain to cadets why you can't just stick the red and blue wires in the light socket... i.e. the smoke theory of electronics:  All electronic devices operate on smoke.  If you let the smoke out of the device it will no longer work properly.

That's why I am an advocate of changing "GROL" to "Extra Class Ham Radio Operator". 

brenaud

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 27, 2009, 09:16:03 PM
That's why I am an advocate of changing "GROL" to "Extra Class Ham Radio Operator". 

+1...or if not changing it, adding it.  In my (albeit limited) experience, the communications knowledge we use in CAP exists within the amateur community (up to and including repeater maintenance).  Just my $.02...YMMV.

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 27, 2009, 05:56:38 PM
What do you mean smoke theory?!?! :)

Finally, on the original topic here, one of the non-CAP organizations of which I'm a member is about to start our latest Technician class.  I believe I heard tonight that we're around 40 students!
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

ThorntonOL

On the GROL subject I'll take it as I have two different people locally who can give the test, and there is a group somewhat local that is giving the amateur tests soon.
Probably won't go to that one but I know there are others coming up.

Ham License

Other than what the practice tests cover and Part 97 cover is there anything else I need to study?
Went to VoTech for electrical occupations (as its called here.) so I know the basics of electricity so that isn't to hard to remember just which formula is for current, voltage, etc. (I've gotten them mixed up but now have them pretty much sorted out.
Getting the radio equipment, where would you suggest going?

GROL

With the GROL if I take the GMDSS Operator and Maintainer test(s) Do I get GROL with it or do I have to take that seperate?
NY-292

drcomm

Quote from: ThorntonOL on January 29, 2009, 02:11:36 PM
On the GROL subject I'll take it as I have two different people locally who can give the test, and there is a group somewhat local that is giving the amateur tests soon.
Probably won't go to that one but I know there are others coming up.

Ham License

Other than what the practice tests cover and Part 97 cover is there anything else I need to study?
Went to VoTech for electrical occupations (as its called here.) so I know the basics of electricity so that isn't to hard to remember just which formula is for current, voltage, etc. (I've gotten them mixed up but now have them pretty much sorted out.
Getting the radio equipment, where would you suggest going?

GROL

With the GROL if I take the GMDSS Operator and Maintainer test(s) Do I get GROL with it or do I have to take that seperate?

What else to study?

You should be good with the online practice tests and a copy of a Technician class study guide.  The basic electricty training will be helpful but there is still a good bit of ham radio specific regs to deal with.  Frequencies, procedures, etc.

Getting equipment?

If you don't live near a ham radio retailer there are several good online retailers.  A few examples would be Amateur Electronic Supply, Ham Radio Outlet, Austin Amateur Radio, etc.  There are many more.  I've dealt with those listed and had good results.

GMDSS covering the GROL?

If I recall correctly the GMDSS is a stand alone license covering only GMDSS equipment.  A GROL is still required for GROL equipment, ie. aviation radios, commercial equipment...
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

drcomm

Quote from: drcomm on January 29, 2009, 11:32:01 PM
GMDSS covering the GROL?

If I recall correctly the GMDSS is a stand alone license covering only GMDSS equipment.  A GROL is still required for GROL equipment, ie. aviation radios, commercial equipment...

A little clarification,  There is a difference between the GMDSS Radio OPERATOR'S License, the GMDSS Radio MAINTAINER'S License and the GROL General Radiotelephone Operator's License.

The GMDSS Operator test requires elements 1 and 7
The GMDSS Maintainer's test requires elements 1, 3, and 9
The GROL requires elements 1 and 3

So, a GMDSS Maintainer's license should also cover the requirements of the GROL but the GMDSS Operators license would not.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

ThorntonOL

The reason I was asking is that I was visiting different sites for the commercial licenses and they had the GMDSS Operator and Maintainer as individual tests and also had them as one combined.
With the question on does taking the one cover "all" the others, I should clarify that by this question do all the elements that are taken for the one that applicable to the other stay with the original test going for or can they also be used to cover the other test that uses those same elements?

Here's the link for the site I was looking at.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=db
NY-292

drcomm

I just made a call to the lead examiner for our commercial examiner team and confirmed that yes, taking the GMDSS Maintainer's tests (elements 1,3, and 9) does give the holder the authority of the GROL license (elements 1 and 3).  So, the GMDSS Maintainer's license would "supercede" the GROL.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

drcomm

Take a look at this link:

http://www.nationalradioexaminers.com/page.php?id=50

It has the info from your link plus the requirements of the other licenses.  All licenses require element 1.  The others that would cover a "lesser" license would be the Radiotelegraph licenses, second class would cover third, first cover second.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

drcomm

Quote from: ThorntonOL on January 30, 2009, 12:08:20 AM
The reason I was asking is that I was visiting different sites for the commercial licenses and they had the GMDSS Operator and Maintainer as individual tests and also had them as one combined.
With the question on does taking the one cover "all" the others, I should clarify that by this question do all the elements that are taken for the one that applicable to the other stay with the original test going for or can they also be used to cover the other test that uses those same elements?

Here's the link for the site I was looking at.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=db

PM Sent........
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

ThorntonOL

Thanks, got the PM, and as I glanced through that page did not read it fully thank you.
Now to put an answer to a question not asked, if both the GMDSS or just the Maintainer are taken and then the Radar Endorsement there is nothing else needed. just finished reading another section of the site my earlier link led to.
For Amateur radio in the extra class (Have not really done anything studying wise) what is it mainly for ? Repairs?
NY-292

drcomm

For amateur radio, the main benefit of the extra class is use of the full range of available amateur frequencies.  That is really it.  The general class will give you access to all modes but you will be short a few segments of frequency space to use.  The extra gives you those segments.  So frequencies and being able to say you made it!
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767