Main Menu

Foxhunt Sniffer MK4

Started by O-Rex, May 14, 2008, 11:46:14 AM

BigMojo

We had one like that a couple weeks ago... An ACR Mini-B laying flat in the back of an all alumininum, enclosed lawn service trailer. (The guy found the beacon and just threw it in the trailer and it activated...) We had a hell of a time getting an AOS and were less than a mile away before we just barely heard it. That one took almost a half-hour to locate after AOS which is a long time for our team.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

JoeTomasone

Just a follow up - the l-Tronics antenna turned out to be the champ and at $20.00, a real bargain!

The sniffer has worked out beyond my expectations.   I will post some plans for the mount I made for the MK4/May-1000 combination, and will show some pics of the completed setup.

JoeTomasone

OK, here's a few pics and some explanations...

IMG_0426: The MK4 on the MAY-1000 next to the old L-Per.

IMG_0425: Closeup of the two units for size comparison.

IMG_0427: Both units collapsed for storage for size comparison.

IMG_0440: A closeup of the mount I made for the MAY-1000.   This cost around $20.00 if I recall for enough material to make roughly 4-5 mounts.   It consists of:

Plumbers sticky tape
1/16" plexiglass
Velcro, 3" width
Adhesive-backed cable organizer, (comes as an assortment of a few sizes)
PVC cement

Essentially what I did was to cut a section of plexiglass around the same size as the sniffer.  I then removed the adhesive backing from the cable organizer (as it is too pliant and unreliable) and glued it to the plexiglass with the PVC cement.   Velcro went on the top (and mates with velcro on the bottom of the Sniffer that is also used to hold it down in the tool box I store my UDF gear in).    The plumbers tape wraps around the MAY-1000's main support with just enough width to allow the cable organizer to go over it and take 2 notches to secure tightly.

I store the mount un-latched but around the antenna.   When it's time to mount it, I click the cable organizer closed in the orientation I want (simply rotating it 90 degrees lets me choose between vertical and horizontal orientation -- try THAT with an L-Per!), extend the antenna elements, and stick the MK4 on the top side.   Total time - 20 seconds - beats my best time assembling an L-Per by a full 60 seconds.

JoeTomasone

One last picture: The disassembled rig in the top of the toolbox that I use to cart around my UDF gear.

RiverAux

Joe, I'm not able to open up any of the photos that were attached.  Also, could you provide some more info on the l-tronics antenna that you got?  Thanks.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: RiverAux on October 12, 2008, 02:13:59 AM
Joe, I'm not able to open up any of the photos that were attached.  Also, could you provide some more info on the l-tronics antenna that you got?  Thanks.

I viewed the photos in the thread on both my iPhone and now my PC - not sure why you can't see them.

The L-Tronics antenna is the LVA-1 here: http://www.ltronics.com/pricing.htm.

It is $25.00.

RiverAux

Get "Internet Explorer cannot download...."

Thanks for the vehicle mount antenna link.  Got one for the MAY-1000?  Thanks.

JoeTomasone

I just brought up this thread in IE and *wow* - no pics.   Works fine in FireFox; might be something for the Powers That Be to check out.

You can get the MAY-1000 from Ham Radio Outlet (http://www.hamradio.com/).

- Joe

MIKE

Works just fine in Vista with IE 7.
Mike Johnston

JoeTomasone

Quote from: MIKE on October 13, 2008, 03:03:00 PM
Works just fine in Vista with IE 7.

Not on my two Vista/IE7 machines.   I just get the name of the image.

SarDragon

XP/Firefox - works
XP/IE7 - works
XP/Chrome - works
XP/Safari - works

Might be a Vista or IE7 setting.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JoeTomasone

D'oh!   I had to login!

Works fine now on my Vista/IE7 - but works better in FF.  :)