Main Menu

Tactical Vests

Started by isuhawkeye, March 23, 2008, 11:10:02 PM

MSgt Van

Big pack area on the back not visible in the pic...

isuhawkeye

that vest caught my eye.  do you like it?

any draw backs to it?

MSgt Van

The sides draw up nice and snug.  The water bladder seems adequate.  I get all my mandatory 24-hour gear in there plus extras (read "coffee").  I haven't found any problems with it yet.  The zippers seem very heavy duty; overall a rugged vest. 
I can't wear it when driving/flying due to the back pouch.

IceNine

Quote from: Pylon on May 12, 2008, 01:34:19 AM
So would something like this work well enough for basic GT and UDF work?

Seems like it'd work well because you've got the open back (comfortable sitting in van or plane with it on), it's MOLLE (so you can put whatever you need on there, and nothing more or less), and it doesn't seem too bulky but not too stringy/flimsy either.

Any thoughts?

I think that would work really well.  I have the molle version of the ruck sack.  And I love it.

the major benefit that I see is for me anyway, I like to use my vest for when I run ground branch as well as GT.   so I keep extra pouches setup for my different missions.  In a couple minutes I can change up for a different duty.

And with the increasing availability of accessories there is no reason not to go molle.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

davedove

Quote from: MSgt Van on May 19, 2008, 08:34:09 PM
Here's the one I use.  Adjustable snug fit; I like it.  Enough room to pack my Jetboil burner, cup and coffee...you know; the essentials.

http://www.searchgear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=177

One person in our squadron uses this.  It works great, but one shortcoming is that if you want to jump out of the vehicle for anything, you have to put on all your gear.

For instance, if you wanted to shoot a bearing, normally you could just grab your safety vest and grab your compass, but with this vest you have to put on all your gear.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Quote from: davedove on May 21, 2008, 11:52:46 AM
Here's the one I use.  Adjustable snug fit; I like it.  Enough room to pack my Jetboil burner, cup and coffee...you know; the essentials.

One person in our squadron uses this.  It works great, but one shortcoming is that if you want to jump out of the vehicle for anything, you have to put on all your gear.

For instance, if you wanted to shoot a bearing, normally you could just grab your safety vest and grab your compass, but with this vest you have to put on all your gear.

Not necessarily.  If you still carry a safety vest pull that out and wear that when you go shoot the bearing. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Gunner C

Quote from: NCO forever on May 19, 2008, 08:37:45 PM
I'd get it if it had enough room to fit all my 24 hour gear in it.
Sweet!

GC

davedove

Quote from: Orion Pax on May 23, 2008, 06:42:06 PM
Quote from: davedove on May 21, 2008, 11:52:46 AM

Not necessarily.  If you still carry a safety vest pull that out and wear that when you go shoot the bearing. 

I was looking from the point of view of using this vest in place of the safety vest.  Of course, the individual could certainly have an extra vest available for the situation, but that's just one more thing to pack.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

fyrfitrmedic

Apologies for waking a sleeping topic, but I didn't feel starting a new vest thread was appropriate.

That being said, does anyone have any useful specs (sizing, etc.) for Camelbak's Delta-5 vest? I've made inquiries to Camelbak in re: this info but have received nothing in the way of useful information...

Thanks in advance.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

NIN

I recently picked up a Tru-Spec Ranger Rack (their version of the Blackhawk R.A.C.K.) that I'm in the process of equipping.  Seems that the military concept of "load bearing equipment" of old (ie. pistol belt, shoulder harness, canteens, et al) has gone out in favor of MOLLE/PALS gear with hydration bladders over various forms of body armor so I'm left with outdated junk and in some instances look "out of step." (and I'm not getting body armor just for the ability to throw pouches on it.. no way)

I am taking my darn sweet time outfitting it with pouches, however, because they're darn expensive and I don't want to break the bank just yet.

I'm not a fan of the "center zip up" type vests (like the SRU-21P vests of old) mostly because that wastes a lot of prime space in the front.   The trend now is toward putting everything in the front where you can reach it.  I'm still finding on the Ranger Rack where I can stash stuff like a radio, flashlight(s), etc.    The nice thing is that it does not put any gear (except, maybe, your hydration bladder) on the back.

Then again, I'm not using mine for CAP-style 24-hr gear, either.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

maverik

Alright, currently I use a regular Black LBV-88 that cost $20.00 plus $5.00 for shipping. I also use my Camelbak thermobak 3L (it's ACU) and that's my 24,I am thinking about putting my Camelbak day pack on their (should I?) to carry large or irregular shaped objects. Iam also thinking about buying this nifty little vest: http://searchgear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=177&HS=1     again if I could get feedback on wether or not I should buy it that'd be awesome.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

IceNine

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on August 31, 2008, 05:29:12 PM
Apologies for waking a sleeping topic, but I didn't feel starting a new vest thread was appropriate.

That being said, does anyone have any useful specs (sizing, etc.) for Camelbak's Delta-5 vest? I've made inquiries to Camelbak in re: this info but have received nothing in the way of useful information...

Thanks in advance.

www.capgear.net  He did a nice review of this vest
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: IceNine on September 01, 2008, 05:16:57 PM
Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on August 31, 2008, 05:29:12 PM

Thanks in advance.

www.capgear.net  He did a nice review of this vest

Thanks for that. I've had the site bookmarked since I first saw a mention here but hadn't been there lately.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn