Main Menu

Gear Set-up

Started by Capt M. Sherrod, September 14, 2007, 03:05:38 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: JThemann on April 09, 2008, 01:52:42 AM
How do you attach the fartsack and tent and stuff? I brought a BFM years ago, but I've only used it for sort of........lets call it a 36 hour pack.

What do you need a tent for? I learned years ago as a Boy Scout to not carry a tent. A tarp, some rope and a couple of stakes are all you need.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Jolt

My gear setup consists of whatever I could find in the squadron supply room and a few purchased items (as far as storage devices).  The bulk of my 24 hr gear is in my LBE/buttpack.  I've got all of the essentials on that pack, and then I have a modified ALICE pack (I took the frame completely off) that I threw a few extra 24 hr gear items in and pretty much all of the BLS stuff that the rest of the ground team wanted.

If I'm ever doing training or your basic DFing, I wear just the LBE, but I throw on the ALICE pack any other time.

N Harmon

Quote from: JThemann on April 09, 2008, 01:52:42 AMHow do you attach the fartsack and tent and stuff? I brought a BFM years ago, but I've only used it for sort of........lets call it a 36 hour pack.

I use the loops that are on the bottom. I roll my pad over my sleeping bag and store all of it in a waterproof sack. That straps to the bottom loops. The tent rolls up and gets strapped to the MOLLE loops right below my cap/name tapes.

In the summer I forgo all of that in favor of a nice hammock.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

AL1EN

I too am looking to rework my gear, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Blade-Tech pilot's vest - looks like a tac medic vest with a pack attached to the back i/o attachment webbing, but it IS mesh, like a tac vest.  Any opinions on this gear (I know - it's pretty pricey...)?

http://www.blade-tech.com/Pilot-Survival-Vest-pr-987.html

Thanks,
C Julien
2nd Lt. CAP

maverik

Iam wanting to know if this is a good set up I have a

for my 24 and a MOLLE 3 day assault vest I was wondering if I should keep it the same set up or if I should stick my 24 and 72 in my 3 day pack the main focuse here is HAWK mountain and mild to severe terrain and DR missions.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Stonewall

Quote from: colorguard_rifle on April 23, 2008, 03:12:57 AM

for my 24 and a MOLLE 3 day assault vest I was wondering if I should keep it the same set up or if I should stick my 24 and 72 in my 3 day pack the main focuse here is HAWK mountain and mild to severe terrain and DR missions.

Only one way to find out, use it.  What works for me may not work for the next guy.  I know lots of people who carry no LBE or Web Gear; just a 3-day pack.
Serving since 1987.

Michael

Quote from: colorguard_rifle on April 23, 2008, 03:12:57 AM

Vests are somewhat frowned upon on the Mountain, but it's really all about what's comfortable for you.

:clap: I used a Camelbak Transformer (very similar to yours) at Winter School, and it worked fine.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

Stonewall

Quote from: Michael on April 26, 2008, 01:48:27 PM:clap: I used a Camelbak Transformer (very similar to yours) at Winter School, and it worked fine.

When I went to Winter Hawk my tube froze.

Lesson learned.  Sleep with camelbak to keep it from freezing.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

I've had a lot of gear over the years.  I've done the LBE and the LBV thing a couple of times but the pockets were so deep, I couldn't really access anything.  Then I found this thing:

http://www.labsafety.com/store/Public_Safety/EMS/Gear_Bags_-_Cases/38178/

It's $71.00 plus shipping and handling which is fairly cheap for this type of gear.  Add a $35 backpack from Wal-mart with a pocket for your hydration bladder and you are all set.  This makes up my 24 hour gear.  I carry all the standard stuff they want you to carry and added a couple items.

First, for shelter, I have two military style ponchos.  I also got two sets of the bungee cords from Ranger Joe's and a couple of stakes (bright orange).  I added a VS-17 panel to the pack and carry about 15 chem lights of various colors.  I tend to hit up the dollar stores for most of my disposable gear which keeps the costs low.  Wal-mart, Ranger Joe's, and eBay are probably your best sources for cheap gear, although certain things that I carry I can only find at Ranger Joe's, like the Staedler alcohol markers I carry for map work.  I'll post some pics of my gear in a little bit.  Gotta find my digital camera....

DNall

Quote from: Trouble on September 17, 2007, 05:17:41 PM
  • Alice clips (aka slide keepers), they are heavy and when they brake they brake  and then you loose stuff.
Just wanted to note on this point...

1) Taking them on/off a lot, being rough w/ gear, and getting really old can wear out clips, but otherwise they are very good & not heavy.

2) You're rigging your gear wrong. You are supposed to secure the item with 550 cord. Insert thru the ring at top of the clip, and around back of the pistol belt to form a keeper. It should hold the clip closed & lengthen its life for one thing, and if it does break then your item will remain affixed and usable by the cord.

Likewise, you canteens should have a just shorter than leg length of 550 cord attached to the belt & looped around the mouth of the canteen. This allows you to drink from it, but not lose if it falls out & won't drag the ground on the dangle.

Also, ALL lose adjustment straps should be rolled up & taped securely.

I'm going to have to find my camera & go thru my gear with a less on this stuff at some point. This is one of those things that isn't in the book but everyone is expected to do.

JayT

Quote from: N Harmon on April 09, 2008, 01:36:26 PM
Quote from: JThemann on April 09, 2008, 01:52:42 AMHow do you attach the fartsack and tent and stuff? I brought a BFM years ago, but I've only used it for sort of........lets call it a 36 hour pack.

I use the loops that are on the bottom. I roll my pad over my sleeping bag and store all of it in a waterproof sack. That straps to the bottom loops. The tent rolls up and gets strapped to the MOLLE loops right below my cap/name tapes.

In the summer I forgo all of that in favor of a nice hammock.

Pics?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

ka8yiu

I know this is an old thread, but  SDS (Specialty Defense Systems), the maker of the MOLLE FLC system, have a Super FLC that is way better then the FLC 1 or 2. Check out their website www.specialtydefense.com if you like the FLC system.  I have one for GT use, but haven't taken the step yet. I am still a hardcore aircrew member. I just can't keep my feet on the ground!

Molle 1 FLC - This vest sucks!  They re-designed it for a reason.

Molle 2 FLC
Pros:

• Fits like an Aircrew vest and wears like an ELBV.
    Is very comfortable. Works the best with a Field pack.
    Lost of real estate to place pouches were you want / need them.
    Good support straps.
    NO ALICE Clips!
Cons:

• Easy to overload by adding too many pouches.
    internal map pockets could be better designed and have better closures
    Pricier than other gear options unless you get a steal of a deal on it. ( which is the only reason I have my current set of it)  though after using it I would find it hard to go back to other set ups.

Hope this is helpful.
[/quote]

RC007

My current setup is as follows

24hr Gear- Enhanced LBV with buttpack and 2 ALICE M16 mag pouches on the pistol belt. Walmart knockoff "Outdoor Adventures" Camelbak.
72hr Gear- Medium ALICE with somewhat new frame, LC2 woodland straps, and waist pad with QR buckle. My sleeping bag attaches to the bottom of the pack. and my sleeping pad/tent fit on top of the pack flap.

Noble Six

Check out http://www.botachtactical.com/ its where i get all my gear in coyote tan.  Sometimes there is a bit  of a wait to receive your items, but with what  you're paying its worth it.
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897