Post your dream gear-setup here!

Started by Equinox, August 25, 2012, 02:09:16 AM

A.Member

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 16, 2012, 07:51:56 PM
Walking around for miles with stuff in your pockets sucks.
What stuff?  As I pointed out, there's really not much to carry.  Unless you guys do things very differently than us, you spend half the time in the van and are never all that far from it.  There are infrantry guys that don't wear as much gear as I see here sometimes.

Ultimately, if someone wants to wear something like that, it's really no skin off my back so I don't care that much.  I just don't understand the need, especially if they complain about spending extra money on gear.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

jeders

Quote from: A.Member on October 16, 2012, 08:04:33 PM
What stuff?  As I pointed out, there's really not much to carry.  Unless you guys do things very differently than us, you spend half the time in the van and are never all that far from it.  There are infrantry guys that don't wear as much gear as I see here sometimes.

Ultimately, if someone wants to wear something like that, it's really no skin off my back so I don't care that much.  I just don't understand the need, especially if they complain about spending extra money on gear.

I have this sneaking feeling that you've never been on an actual Ground Team mission (DF'ing a signal on a flight line is not a GT mission). If you can tell me how I'm supposed to be able to fit everything on the GT equipment list into my pockets, I'd love to hear it. Vests are bulky and annoying when you have to mount/dismount vehicles; they are wonderful when you are walking for miles through rough terrain because there are no usable roads on the 250,000 acre ranch that you are looking for an aircraft on.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

A.Member

Quote from: jeders on October 16, 2012, 08:17:24 PM
Quote from: A.Member on October 16, 2012, 08:04:33 PM

I have this sneaking feeling that you've never been on an actual Ground Team mission (DF'ing a signal on a flight line is not a GT mission).
You'd be wrong. :)   Although, as I said, I do spend almost all my time in the airplane now.

Quote from: jeders on October 16, 2012, 08:17:24 PMIf you can tell me how I'm supposed to be able to fit everything on the GT equipment list into my pockets, I'd love to hear it. Vests are bulky and annoying when you have to mount/dismount vehicles; they are wonderful when you are walking for miles through rough terrain because there are no usable roads on the 250,000 acre ranch that you are looking for an aircraft on.
I did not suggest no pack.  Certainly a small pack (like those typically integrated with a camelback) is beneficial.  My question was really around wearing a large pack like those shown here.  It would be significanlty much more cumbersome when moving through thick vegetation/difficult terrain; more things to get snared on (and I moved through some very dense woods.  This is even more true with some of the gypsy packs I've seen.   

Like I said, if someone wants to carry these monsters around, so be it.  I just don't see us needing to carry anywhere close to enough gear to justify it.  What are you filling with it?  Anything of real benefit?  Just curious.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Quote from: A.Member on October 16, 2012, 07:39:36 PMAs a general statement, there should be one med. pack shared among the team.
As a matter of requirement there should be one med pack (First Aid Kit) per person.   

Quote from: A.Member on October 16, 2012, 07:39:36 PM
Aside from that, a camelback, radio (not everyone),
A well-equipped GT has each member with an ISR, and at least one with a VHF-HT and an ISR - this is how the teams communicate, you know "inter-squad".

and maybe a protein bar or two is all a GTM really needs.
A GTM needs at least one meal.
The rest of the misc stuff (maps, compass) can fit in pouches/pockets on the BDUs or camelback (depending on model).  What would you possibly put in those pouches?   More than a bit impractical.
The required equipment as specified by the task guide, which is also supposed to be carried on your person.

The intention with a GT is that all members are self-sustaining and not a mission burden in the field for at least 24 hours. Perhaps the term "24-hour gear" rings a bell?  This is for both mission effectiveness (i.e send them out in the AM and work until sunset), and safety (i.e. you're lost in the woods or DR and need to put up for the night.  I can't tell you how many times missions, both real and training, have been adversely effected by GTMs who "knew better" and were caught without a key piece of equipment, or without lunch.

I agree that a lot of our members, especially cadets, are a investing far too much in molle vests, etc., you have to put the stuff somewhere, and
the fact that you don't think you'll need it, doesn't relieve the requirement to carry it.  Being a hour's drive from civilization at sunset and
watching as your vehicle slides backwards over a hill, is not the time to realize you should have been carrying your stuff, instead of leaving it
in the van, which is now at the bottom of a ravine.

GTM's are not supposed to leave the base without the full 24-hour kit, inspected by their GTL and cross-checked by the a/GBDs.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on October 16, 2012, 08:40:24 PM
The intention with a GT is that all members are self-sustaining and not a mission burden in the field for at least 24 hours. Perhaps the term "24-hour gear" rings a bell?  This is for both mission effectiveness (i.e send them out in the AM and work until sunset), and safety (i.e. you're lost in the woods or DR and need to put up for the night.

I agree that a lot of our members, especially cadets, are a investing far too much in molle vests, etc., you have to put the stuff somewhere, and
the fact that you don't think you'll need it, doesn't relieve the requirement to carry it.  Being a hour's drive from civilization at sunset and
watching as your vehicle slides backwards over a hill, is not the time to realize you should have been carrying your stuff, instead of leaving it
in the van, which is now at the bottom of a ravine.

GTM's are not supposed to leave the base without the full 24-hour kit, inspected by their GTL and cross-checked by the a/GBDs.
Understood about the theory.  In today's world and in practical application, when was the last time you were ever on a mission that was anywhere close to that was truly required?  Unless things have changed in the past several years (and they may've) I'm not aware of any hard list or "required" 24-hour pack items; there is a guide for items that could/should be included in a pack but it may vary by Wing, etc. 

I didn't intend to get too off-topic with this discussion.  I'm certainly no expert on ground team requirements and I understand some of you eat and dream this stuff.   But I've spent a week in the woods and probably carried less than some of our members are carrying ina 24-hour pack.  It's just my observation that these extra large ammo vests and such just strike me as very odd for what I've seen as our actual mission needs; I can't understand why they'd be needed. 

isuhawkeye

Even if you discount the equipment outlined in the SQTR I would not travel in the outdoors much without the ten essentials.  To me these items are the base line for even a simple day hike.

http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/Assets/ClientPages/zz_TenEssentials.aspx

YMMV

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Hawk200

Quote from: Equinox on August 25, 2012, 02:09:16 AM
Now if only I could find these in Multicam...   :o
Unless you're double slotting your equipment with the Army side, it's really not necessary. I've obtained gear pretty inexpensively by going for less popular colors, many of which would clash with the local environment. If you want something military looking, the brown colors (some call it "coyote," others "dark earth," others call it something else) would be just fine.

When it comes to gear, I stencil anything large enough to carry my name. Most of the time, it keeps it yours.

Walkman

Quote from: A.Member on October 16, 2012, 10:10:57 PM
I'm not aware of any hard list or "required" 24-hour pack items; there is a guide for items that could/should be included in a pack but it may vary by Wing, etc. 

...I'm certainly no expert on ground team requirements and I understand some of you eat and dream this stuff.

From the Ground & UDF Team Rask Guide:
Quote2. The gear list below is the minimum required equipment. Items required of trainees are marked with a "T. You may carry additional equipment subject to team leader approval and your ability to secure and carry it -- remember, you may have to walk a long way carrying it all.

The 24 hour gear list the minimm required. Yes, it's can be a bit much for a 4 hour sortie, but it is required. A GTL is required to do a bag drag before the team deploys.

bflynn

Quote from: Walkman on October 17, 2012, 08:35:09 PM
A GTL is required to do a bag drag before the team deploys.

Really?  I just read through the GTL handbook and there was no mention that they must have everyone lay out their gear for an inspection prior to departure on a mission.

Wouldn't that take...hours to complete?

RogueLeader

Quote from: bflynn on October 17, 2012, 09:40:13 PM
Quote from: Walkman on October 17, 2012, 08:35:09 PM
A GTL is required to do a bag drag before the team deploys.

Really?  I just read through the GTL handbook and there was no mention that they must have everyone lay out their gear for an inspection prior to departure on a mission.

Wouldn't that take...hours to complete?

Nope. about 20-30 min if everybody has all of their stuff straight.  if that.  If you have people unprepared, unfamiliar with their own gear that they packed, yes it can take a very long time.

Task O-0005: Inspect Team Members.
That is the second active task under Advanced Training.  (I'm not counting the ICS Classes for this discussion.)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Equinox

So I'm expecting this in tomorrow's mail.

Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

bflynn

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 17, 2012, 09:49:27 PM

That is the second active task under Advanced Training.  (I'm not counting the ICS Classes for this discussion.)

Ok, that explains it - you're talking about a SQTR task.  I was reading the handbook about what to do when you perform.

That you're required to do an inspection for the training does not imply you must do it before you leave on a mission.  When it's time to work,  you don't waste time doing inspections.  If you want to inspect, then do an inspection when it isn't go time.

68w20

Quote from: bflynn on October 20, 2012, 02:49:26 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on October 17, 2012, 09:49:27 PM

Ok, that explains it - you're talking about a SQTR task.  I was reading the handbook about what to do when you perform.

That you're required to do an inspection for the training does not imply you must do it before you leave on a mission.  When it's time to work,  you don't waste time doing inspections.  If you want to inspect, then do an inspection when it isn't go time.

By that logic we're not required to do line searches, actions on a find, or field sanitation "by the book."  It's all just training after all.

The gear inspection is a critical part of mission prep.  It doesn't have to be an all-out, lay out every item in your gear, hour-long ordeal.  It can be as simple as having members check their own gear as they arrive at the staging point, then be cross-checked by GTL.  What matters is that you're taking the time to verify that all essential equipment is on-site and that all GTMs are prepared.  I'd rather spend 15-20 minutes engaging and checking the gear of my GTMs and know for a fact that they have all necessary gear before driving off to begin a search.

manfredvonrichthofen

The Infantry having been brought up, allow me to make a clarification, even the Infantry does an inspection with every mission, EVERY mission, because it's easy to forget the little things like batteries, or spare chemlights, or spare batteries. It even happens that something that worked 30 minutes ago doesn't work now. Stuff happens, and it needs to be checked out every time you move out. If you aren't performing inspections before every mission, and I'm not talking a full layout every mission, just the stuff that gets used alot, and the stuff that is pertinent to the current mission. Does everyone have enough batteries, does every one have a working flashlight, do you have the elper,  does it work, do you have a litter, if you have a large medkit, does someone have it? These are the items that need to be checked. If you don't check, and it's not there and working, or fully stocked, then it is your fault as the team leader and it is your fault that your team is ineffective. And if you expect to stay around the van at all times, then you are training wrong, and you are already mission ineffective, and you are ahhindrance to the mission.

Garibaldi

Me: "OK. Everyone, put your gear on. Get with your battle buddy and check to make sure you both have water and food."

Team member: "What if we don't have food?"

Me: "There's a box of MREs upstairs in the ES office. Grab one."

Another team member: "Grab one for me too!"

Me: "Water? Faucet in the kitchen. Go."

Yet another team member: "My batteries in my flashlight are dead."

Battle buddy: "You can have mine. I have more."

Me: "Check for your battle buddy's CAPID, 101, and CAPF 60"

Third team member: "Where can I get a CAPF 60?"

Me: "Admin office, top drawer. Grab a couple. If there's not enough, make copies."

First team member: "Radios?"

Me: "Electronics closet. Grab two bricks and six ISRs. Take your battle buddy and get the Lper as well. Don't forget to sign out for this stuff!"

Second team member: "I got orange vests!"

Me: "OK, we all set? Let's get in the van! Put your gear on the floor under your seat and make sure all the ISRs and Lper are working."

Ten minutes later, we're rolling.

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

tsrup

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 21, 2012, 05:30:39 AM
Me: "OK. Everyone, put your gear on. Get with your battle buddy and check to make sure you both have water and food."

Team member: "What if we don't have food?"

Me: "There's a box of MREs upstairs in the ES office. Grab one."

Another team member: "Grab one for me too!"

Me: "Water? Faucet in the kitchen. Go."

Yet another team member: "My batteries in my flashlight are dead."

Battle buddy: "You can have mine. I have more."

Me: "Check for your battle buddy's CAPID, 101, and CAPF 60"

Third team member: "Where can I get a CAPF 60?"

Me: "Admin office, top drawer. Grab a couple. If there's not enough, make copies."

First team member: "Radios?"

Me: "Electronics closet. Grab two bricks and six ISRs. Take your battle buddy and get the Lper as well. Don't forget to sign out for this stuff!"

Second team member: "I got orange vests!"

Me: "OK, we all set? Let's get in the van! Put your gear on the floor under your seat and make sure all the ISRs and Lper are working."

Ten minutes later, we're rolling.

20 minutes later:
"Um, I don't have my ID"..
Paramedic
hang-around.

manfredvonrichthofen

That right there tsrup is Why as the team leader I check it. Get into formation, I announce three items at a time and they get itout and I check it as I walk through ghetto formation hands on.

Garibaldi

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 21, 2012, 04:43:30 PM
That right there tsrup is Why as the team leader I check it. Get into formation, I announce three items at a time and they get itout and I check it as I walk through ghetto formation hands on.

Yeah...it was late when I wrote that. I usually make them take it out and hold it up for me to see, usually when the parents arrive to drop them off so they can run home and get it if needed.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

cap235629

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 21, 2012, 05:30:39 AM

Battle Buddy???

Seriously?????

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé