Main Menu

Comm Truck

Started by Rescue826, October 24, 2010, 05:08:50 PM

Major Lord

It may be that just having the asset will prove to cause demand for it. It sounds like this one found good use, and our sorry excuse for a mobile office/comm bus came in very handy while we had it. I don't think that having a vehicle that enhances our Comm capabilities is inconsistent with our communications portfolio. What I see in this thread is a very classic CAP loop: One member talks about doing something very cool ( okay, its cool if you are a SAR/COM/Ham Guy at least) and a bunch of naysayers try to cut the life out of his enthusiasm for doing anything innovative in CAP. The "we tried that back in 1967 and it did not work" mindset has crippled us, and left us with antiquated systems, and a dying mission.

That being said, lets revisit the original post, which asked " what you put in a Comm Van given the opportunity?" ( I am paraphrasing) The logical questions is: " What are you going to use it for? In California, I could see it being used as a self-propelled mobile repeater with a small crew on board to keep it running. Our Repeaters have a tendency to blow away, slide down a muddy mountain, or get eaten by wildfires, so I could see its usefulness.

Another possible use is as a command center and resupply vehicle for large area ground team activities. There would be a place for weary GT's to sleep and eat without having to drive all the way back to civilization.

The least likely use it seems to me would be to have CAP members run the Op's and Comm's for a multi-agency large scale response. Some Federal Agencies have more money in their comm vans than CAP has in its budget ( If any of you saw the Comm vehicles at the Federal centers during hurricane Katrina, you will know what I mean) As has  has been discussed, we are also logistically incapable of autonomous activities in disaster areas. We just don't have a way to establish the supply lines necessary to keep ourselves alive beyond a very limited time period. In the opening days of Hurricane Katrina, many of us paramilitary contractors lived on the ground and ate MRE's courtesy of the US Army ( May they live forever in the Halls of Valhalla) and the Red Cross. They have the trucks and the forklifts.

So to refine the original question, What would we/do we use a Comm van for?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Rescue826

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Major Lord on October 29, 2010, 11:59:18 PM
What I see in this thread is a very classic CAP loop: One member talks about doing something very cool ( okay, its cool if you are a SAR/COM/Ham Guy at least) and a bunch of naysayers try to cut the life out of his enthusiasm for doing anything innovative in CAP. The "we tried that back in 1967 and it did not work" mindset has crippled us, and left us with antiquated systems, and a dying mission.

+1

ammotrucker

Quote from: Eclipse on October 29, 2010, 09:40:50 PM

Further, a lot of missions these days go without NOC involvement, and with no funding.

I want to know how you think that any mission that you do will go without NOC involvement!!!!!!!

If there is NO NOC involvement you will not recieve a mission number.  No mission number NO mission.  Again, your perception of how things operate is in question here.

RG Little, Capt

Rescue826

Sooo....  Im thinking about a REAL command post.   Like this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55297616@N03/sets/72157625275030706/detail/

This is the State of Florida, Division of Emergency Mgt  Mobile Command Vehicle.  The pics were taken while she was deployed to Pensacola to support Branch 1 for Deepwater.

Something similar to this would be what I would build.

♠SARKID♠

Just remember to reinforce the chassis...

I like your vision.  To the impending naysayers - You're not dreaming big enough, and not trying hard enough.

Spaceman3750

Cisco & IBM have a pretty cool crisis management truck: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/21263.wss

It was in my area being showed off once and I couldn't go see it. I was pretty unhappy to miss it :(

arajca

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 30, 2010, 09:15:24 PM
Don't bother reinforcing the chassis - overspec it.

ammotrucker

Quote from: arajca on October 31, 2010, 04:08:56 AM

If you are building to the specs that the State of Florida uses, you will not have to do any more then find those specs as that vehicle is already double framed.  There is no need to do anything else to that chassis.
RG Little, Capt

Rescue826

Alright.....So we got the Chassis and platform.

What about the equipment / Capability of the truck?

PHall

Quote from: JWilson on October 25, 2010, 07:45:12 PM
Quote from: Smithsonia on October 24, 2010, 05:53:09 PM
Lets get one of these:
http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m170.php3
American Made. Military styling. Back country ready. Cool factor that the Comm/Command trailer/buses/campers
don't have.

I have no idea if it is best for technology. But, its cooler by a mile. Even the  black bears would be intimidated. And if they're not  or they are
grizzlies then throw one of these in the mix... an MRAP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MaxxPro_in_Iraq.jpg

We'll need a card with a high credit line to run through the gas in the MRAP.

Do... want MRAP... nothing says "get rescued" like light armor

There is nothing "light" about the MRAP. You take it off a paved road and the MRAP will need to be "rescued" too. ;)

ammotrucker

Quote from: Rescue826 on October 25, 2010, 12:29:57 AM

CAP Comms:
6 VHF
2 HF
2 Airband

I/O Comms:
800 mhz Multinet (Motorola Smartzone, Motorola Astro, EDACS, P25 Trunking)
UHF hi
UHF Low
VHF Lowband
Amateur Radio   2m/70cm/HF
Dispatch consoles w/  patching capability  (Telex -IP Based)

Satellite based internet w/ Auto deploy dish
Voip PBX system (Asterisk)
several Cellular lines (ML500)

VTC capability

Cache of VHF portables

Internal File Server
IMU Server

4.9ghz mesh WLAN

At least 4 internal positions for Incident Dispatchers
Conf Room for planning/Command staff

Redundant 12k generators

Gally / Lavatory...

If you ae only talking about the Comms gear, I would add 1-2 Marine radios do to the fact that we work so much with USCG.
I would also make sure that at least one of the HF radios is ALE>
I would must sure that your Internet Sate is minimum of 1.2 m

If you are talking the entire unit on top of the comms gear.
• Roof mounted light tower
• (3) Mast
• (4) forward dispatch positions
• 8 - 20" LCD monitors
• Wilsonart "Hard Surface" counters
• DSS
• Interoperability solution
• Tandberg conferencing
• Plotter
• Cisco phone system
• Audio & Video package
• (2) 42" plasma w/Smartboards
• (4) 32" LCD monitors
• Computer connections at passenger
position
• Galley
• Conference room seat (5)
• Wilsonart "Hard Surface" counters
• 1.2M satellite system
• DSS
• Weather station
• Hydraulic stabilizers
• Electric awning

RG Little, Capt

PA Guy

ammotrucker

As a afterthought I would also include 1 vhf CAP airborne repeater and if you could secure a state issued (1) 800mhz airborne repeater.
We have shown in many joint training events that there are places that even 800mhz is not total coverage and while we would normally have an aircraft airborne during these times we could also be of additional value to other agencies with this type of service.
RG Little, Capt

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: ammotrucker on October 31, 2010, 02:44:01 PM
Quote from: arajca on October 31, 2010, 04:08:56 AM

If you are building to the specs that the State of Florida uses, you will not have to do any more then find those specs as that vehicle is already double framed.  There is no need to do anything else to that chassis.

I was just speaking anecdotally.  We had to reinforce our MCC because we almost went overweight on the standard Winnebago RV frame.  All the little things added up quick.

N Harmon

I think you people are over engineering this thing.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Rescue826

Quote from: N Harmon on October 31, 2010, 10:52:17 PM
I think you people are over engineering this thing.

Why?  What are your thoughts?

Eclipse

Hilarious or ridiculous, pick one.

The majority of CAP missions, including the most planning intensive, man-power-rich, aircraft-heavy ones like Katrina and Fossett, are run on cell phones, some laptop computers, a few status boards, and a couple of comm guys, and you guys are talking about packing the Cheyenne Mountain Complex into an RV.

For starters it is going to be so loud in there you won't be able to hold a conversation.

Part of Zen is understanding your place and role in the universe.

"That Others May Zoom"

caphornbuckle

I say keep it simple at first then work from there.  This will keep you from spending money on stuff you're never going to use!

I see Mobile CP's all the time and I believe that IF they are NEEDED, then do it.  Most of the time though, I see them at fairs and other community events mostly as PR but functional as well.  I don't know too many people who wouldn't enjoy checking out the inside of a big motor home with all the pretty lights and cool paint scheme.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Rescue826

First off , it wont be a motorhome, but a professionally build mobile command post.

Each radio is connected to a dispatch console.  Each operator has a headset, and can select what they  can hear , and transmit on.  So no loud noise. 

Again, Im not talking about a make shift home build truck, but a real professional Command post.

In the past 10 years or so in my CAP Comm 'career' I would say 80% of the many high scale missions the Wing has completed has involved us communicating with another agency via radio.

We have had a REGULAR need to talk to various agencies on UHF,VHF-Low, VHF-Hi, 800, and Airband.

In no way would this be overkill, or ridiculous.  It would open the door to CAP to have a little more credibility, Look like the professionals, and talk to them.
It would also give CAP a facility to work out of in a disaster, instead of a run down hangar or tent.
The vehicle would also provide voice, Data, and radio comms to any facility to augment during any CAP mission.