Main Menu

Comm Truck

Started by Rescue826, October 24, 2010, 05:08:50 PM

Rescue826

If you had a 'unlimited budget' what would you put in a CAP Comm truck / trailer?

DakRadz

Either you are bored, or someone just got very lucky.

A sign: "NOTICE: Code words are against regulations. Keep UA personnel out of here. That is all."

tsrup

another sign that lays out the meaning of "roger", "wilco", "over", and "out"; and why they shouldn't be used together.  Maybe even a threat of electrocution if they are..
Paramedic
hang-around.

Smithsonia

Lets get one of these:
http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m170.php3
American Made. Military styling. Back country ready. Cool factor that the Comm/Command trailer/buses/campers
don't have.

I have no idea if it is best for technology. But, its cooler by a mile. Even the  black bears would be intimidated. And if they're not  or they are
grizzlies then throw one of these in the mix... an MRAP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MaxxPro_in_Iraq.jpg

We'll need a card with a high credit line to run through the gas in the MRAP.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Rescue826

Smithsonia

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Rescue 286;
Sorry. I was being cheeky. Here's the top of the line FEMA set up.
http://www.fema.gov/emergency/mers/mrvdex.shtm

It's a full TV Broadcast set up - which was used at the gulf oil spill. Obviously they didn't need emergency broadcast capability but used it to make production items (like graphics and maps) for briefings and distribution media. It was parked at Houma the 2 weeks I was around there.

Obviously we don't need anything like this... it is just the top of the line and out of the box. So anything less should still think about piggy backing this kind of mobile infrastructure.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

a2capt

Unlimited funds and just throwing them at it .. but whats it going to be used for? In reality. Parking at a planned "incident" is one thing. How "first responder" does it need to be?

A workstation/desk setup for a computer/printer to get (topo) maps, but in FL.. you might be better off with a map depicting bridges across every water way. ;-)

Eclipse

Radios, and a checkbook to write checks for things we really need.

For the most part, comm trailers are an unnecessary waste.  I know, I have an ICP trailer with radios, redundant power, and a huge PITA sign.

We call it the Albatross for a good reason.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

Four VHF radios, two HF radios, six handhelds on mounted chargers, enough liaison radios to talk to anyone you want, headsets for all radios, television, satellite internet, satellite/cell phone tied into a PAX, SDIS downlink setup, propane generator, air conditioning, independent server to service shared files and printers, on-board dedicated laptops, and LCD status boards.  And if you want to get fancy, a kitchen and enough sleeping space for about seven crewmembers.  At least that's what we have on ours  :D  Granted, this is a mobile command center and not a comm trailer; but if the budget is unlimited, dream big!

As an added perk, consider making all of your cabinets and walls out of dry erase board.  Its what we have in our comm room at base and it rocks being able to write anywhere you want.

Eclipse

Sorry man, the above is exactly what we don't need.

In addition to the fact that we could equip 4-5 SUV's and trailers with equipment for what that beast cost, it requires a specialized crew, and in many cases is too expensive to drive to the AO.

It is too fancy and inappropriately scaled.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

I'd take a brick and mortar facility over a mobile one any day of the week.  But since we are gypsies without so much as a reliable meeting place, I'd take that mobile command post in a heart beat, or even the "Albatross."   ;)
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

a2capt

But it's got a lightbar!! ;-)

Rescue826

Lets say that we just got a $400,000 federal grant to build a mobile command vehicle.   That the main purpose is for disaster response.

My vision is that it would be able to pull up to a non-existent or damaged facility and provide  Phone, Radio, Internet...etc.

It would also be able to be self sufficent to provide command, control, and communications in the middle of nowhere after a disaster.

CAP Comms:
6 VHF
2 HF
2 Airband

I/O Comms:
800 mhz Multinet (Motorola Smartzone, Motorola Astro, EDACS, P25 Trunking)
UHF hi
UHF Low
VHF Lowband
Amateur Radio   2m/70cm/HF
Dispatch consoles w/  patching capability  (Telex -IP Based)

Satellite based internet w/ Auto deploy dish
Voip PBX system (Asterisk)
several Cellular lines (ML500)

VTC capability

Cache of VHF portables

Internal File Server
IMU Server

4.9ghz mesh WLAN

At least 4 internal positions for Incident Dispatchers
Conf Room for planning/Command staff

Redundant 12k generators

Gally / Lavatory...

Thoughts?

HGjunkie

Quote from: Rescue826 on October 25, 2010, 12:29:57 AM
Lets say that we just got a $400,000 federal grant to build a mobile command vehicle.   That the main purpose is for disaster response.

My vision is that it would be able to pull up to a non-existent or damaged facility and provide  Phone, Radio, Internet...etc.

It would also be able to be self sufficent to provide command, control, and communications in the middle of nowhere after a disaster.

CAP Comms:
6 VHF
2 HF
2 Airband

I/O Comms:
UHF hi
UHF Low
VHF Lowband

VTC capability

Cache of VHF portables

Internal File Server
IMU Server

4.9ghz mesh WLAN

Redundant 12k generators

Gally / Lavatory...

Thoughts?

It's missing an Xbox 360.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

caphornbuckle

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 24, 2010, 08:55:17 PM
As an added perk, consider making all of your cabinets and walls out of dry erase board.  Its what we have in our comm room at base and it rocks being able to write anywhere you want.

I have seen a few ES Mobile Command Posts outside of CAP and they all have this.  It is definitely an excellent idea!  The guys I've talked to love it.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Rescue826 on October 25, 2010, 12:29:57 AM

CAP Comms:
6 VHF
2 HF
2 Airband

I/O Comms:
UHF hi
UHF Low
VHF Lowband

VTC capability

Cache of VHF portables

Internal File Server
IMU Server

4.9ghz mesh WLAN

Redundant 12k generators

Gally / Lavatory...

Thoughts?

Rescue, what you have here is almost EXACTLY what our MCC is save for a couple radio differences.  If you want, I can put you in contact with our unit managers to perhaps get you some info.  I'm on the crew for it but I don't have all the back-history on acquisition/design.

sardak

Here's one of our county SAR team's command posts which was donated to the team by the sheriff's office. The cabinets are designed to be written on. The walls are a tempting place to write, but they're textured  :( , so if they are written on, it's hard to get the writing off easily.

Radios before final installation on the left side. The shelf was added. The front of the shelf keeps articles on the shelf from sliding off and hides the radio wiring. There are two VHF, one 800 and a dual band ham radio all accessible from the right seat. There is another VHF and 800 in the cab. The left seat is for a computer operator. There are 3 overhead cabinets above the shelf, and two floor to ceiling vertical cabinets to the left of the left chair. The five overhead cabinets are on the right side aft of the door. The writing was still on the cabinets when it was donated.
]http://captalk.net/MGalleryItem.php?id=276

Right rear. The map board is on top of the enclosure for the built in 7 kW generator, the noise of which is not noticeable inside.
]http://captalk.net/MGalleryItem.php?id=277
Mike

CAP Marine

Pardon my laziness for not researching available federal grants, but I would be interested in learning more about the one being pursued. Seems like we all better brush up on our greant request writing skills if that is a real possibility.

N Harmon

It seems like a lot of money for something pretty low on the "things we really need" list.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Quote from: N Harmon on October 25, 2010, 06:27:56 PM
It seems like a lot of money for something pretty low on the "things we really need" list.

I agree, and at the end of the day, you really have a truck with some radios in it and a place to sit - something which can be replicated
with a tent and a go box.

Don't get me wrong, I love pulling up with the Albatross and having people see the professional decals, and looking like the big boys, but
most agencies use their trucks regularly and with funds for upkeep, we don't and we don't have the money for upkeep.

Getting the toys is only the first step - these things need ongoing maintenance and upgrades, and then you wind up with something which either needs a permanent crew, or is loaned out and then not cared for with the same love as the builders.

To the grants - getting a grant at that level requires a nearly full-time effort.

"That Others May Zoom"