Main Menu

Steve Fossett

Started by Flying Pig, October 01, 2008, 04:37:26 PM

heliodoc

Imagine that!!!

Lots ' experts on this site >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

flyguy06

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 02, 2008, 02:38:17 PM
Although, it doesnt say anything about his body being recovered.

dude, is been over a year. You arent going to find his body. The animals have been gotten to that. Wonder where the skull is though?

LtCol White

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 02, 2008, 08:29:51 PM

dude, is been over a year. You arent going to find his body. The animals have been gotten to that. Wonder where the skull is though?

Is this really appropriate or necessary? To say no body has been found seems to cover it. Most LOGICAL individuals can figure out what most likely has happened to the remains without asking the above. Remember, he IS a person with family who have been grieving at his loss. I fail to see where it is germain or appropriate to inquire as to what happened to his skull. To say the least, it is unprofessional.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: LtCol White on October 02, 2008, 08:59:25 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on October 02, 2008, 08:29:51 PM

Is this really appropriate or necessary? To say no body has been found seems to cover it. Most LOGICAL individuals can figure out what most likely has happened to the remains without asking the above. Remember, he IS a person with family who have been grieving at his loss. I fail to see where it is germain or appropriate to inquire as to what happened to his skull. To say the least, it is unprofessional.

Agreed.

According to an article I just read, CAWG overflew the site 19 times during the search but the area was not one of the likely areas where he was expected to be found.     I can only imagine what the tree cover and what not looks like....   Hopefully we'll be able to overfly the area again before the wreckage is removed in order to perhaps learn something that might be helpful in the future.

wingnut55

First nobody has the authority to talk about the Mission, many times there was a helicopter, CAP plane and a C130 all in the same grid at the same time.

Holy crap we need a special ribbon for the Fossett Mission, a BS one

Ned

Dude,

Take a breath.

We understand you have strong feelings on this topic, but name-calling seems a little beneath you.

Let me refer you back to our Core Values

Take a moment, and re-read #4 -- Respect.  It's on page 4.

flyerthom

TC

D242

QuoteAccording to an article I just read, CAWG overflew the site 19 times during the search but the area was not one of the likely areas where he was expected to be found.

Can you post a link to that article?

Where did the "19 times" figure originate?  Official CAP spokesperson, press release, or another source altogether?

I wouldn't have thought Ryan would be speaking to the media at all, but I just saw her quoted by the Reno newspaper, ""It wasn't the focus of our search because that wasn't where we were told he was going," Civil Air Patrol Lt. Col. Cynthia Ryan said Wednesday."

When she was "fired" was that just from her IO function, or from CAP altogether?

wingnut55

You would think, but we are a Volunteer organization,2B or not 2B that is the question (are we a quasi military group?)

lordmonar

Quote from: D242 on October 03, 2008, 12:15:40 AM
QuoteAccording to an article I just read, CAWG overflew the site 19 times during the search but the area was not one of the likely areas where he was expected to be found.

Where did the "19 times" figure originate?  Official CAP spokesperson, press release, or another source altogether?

I wouldn't have thought Ryan would be speaking to the media at all, but I just saw her quoted by the Reno newspaper, ""It wasn't the focus of our search because that wasn't where we were told he was going," Civil Air Patrol Lt. Col. Cynthia Ryan said Wednesday."

When she was "fired" was that just from her IO function, or from CAP altogether?

Just her National IO fuctions.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyguy06

sorry, didnt mean to offend. If the mods want to delete my post, I am cool with that. I was justy staing what i saw on the news. Its cool

Eclipse

"19" seems to be the number of passes all the wires are using, however none of the stories
I have heard indicated who flew the "19".

The press release that just popped up on CAP News has different numbers:

Quote from: CAP News http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=4791
Between Sept. 4 and 16, CAP flew 32 sorties and spent 65 hours in the area where the plane was found. "We were in that area almost every day," Butts said. CAP aircrews were often hampered by wind gusts associated with the Sierras' 8,500- and 11,000-feet elevations.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Quote from: D242 on October 03, 2008, 12:15:40 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26976119/

(excerpts follow)

Searchers familiar with the mountainous wilderness noted the many coyotes and other wildlife in the area, and Madera County Sheriff John Anderson said: "It's quite often if you don't find remains within a few days, because of animals, you'll find nothing at all."

The rugged area, situated about 65 miles from the ranch, had been flown over 19 times by the California Civil Air Patrol during the initial search, Anderson said. But it had not been considered a likely place to find the plane.

Instead, searchers had concentrated on an area north of Mammoth Lakes, given what they knew about sightings of Fossett's plane, his travel plans and the amount of fuel he had. Spacing - MIKE

♠SARKID♠

Hey we were right about one thing: what did we all say?
"He'll probably be found by a hunter or hiker or something."

EDIT:  AP has a pic of the wreck

flyboyike

Quote from: JoeTomasone on October 02, 2008, 09:50:43 PMAgreed.

According to an article I just read, CAWG overflew the site 19 times during the search but the area was not one of the likely areas where he was expected to be found.     I can only imagine what the tree cover and what not looks like....  hopefully we'll be able to overfly the area again before the wreckage is removed in order to perhaps learn something that might be helpful in the future.

I am having trouble keeping the CAP "story" straight.

--They overflew the area 19 times

--They didn't search the area because it isn't purported to be the area he flew off to

--They searched 99% of the area the aircraft could have crashed in

--They turned away a FLIR helicopter who volunteered to search

--They made a call specifically for helicopter with FLIR

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=5711.0

Let's all hope that at least now, late in the game, everyone is in a correct uniform for once.

Spacing - MIKE

SarDragon

Two posts, and two attempts at rabble-rousing. Do you think you might have any less inflammatory posts hiding in your bag of tricks?

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

Quote from: flyboyike on October 03, 2008, 10:57:17 PM
--They turned away a FLIR helicopter who volunteered to search

--They made a call specifically for helicopter with FLIR

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=5711.0

Let's all hope that at least now, late in the game, everyone is in a correct uniform for once.

I sense a suspension subversion in the Force.
Mike Johnston

wingnut55

flyboyike

you must fly many missions sitting in front of the TV

First The Sheriff who said 19 times included all of the civilian helicopters that flew in that area, also the 4 blackhawks and 2 c130s.

I was in that grid along with several guys I know take another look at the debris field, the steep angle and oh lets not forget the planes synthetic fabric was melted off from the flash fire.

In short the Aircraft was pulverized, that means little tiny sections of aluminum.

don't worry flyboy you too can get maybe 2 missions in your career in CAP, I have 20 in three years, and after every one i review and work to improve on the mission,

flyboyike

Quote from: wingnut55 on October 04, 2008, 05:05:23 AM
flyboyike

you must fly many missions sitting in front of the TV

First The Sheriff who said 19 times included all of the civilian helicopters that flew in that area, also the 4 blackhawks and 2 c130s.

I was in that grid along with several guys I know take another look at the debris field, the steep angle and oh lets not forget the planes synthetic fabric was melted off from the flash fire.

In short the Aircraft was pulverized, that means little tiny sections of aluminum.

don't worry flyboy you too can get maybe 2 missions in your career in CAP, I have 20 in three years, and after every one i review and work to improve on the mission,

OK I'll take your word on it.

I hesitate to ask what happened on your first "mission" and "review to improve" seeing what happened on the second "mission".

Flying Pig

I flew as a scanner in that area during the search.  That area is primarily granite walls with some deep gorges.  Not to mention, I recall the turbulence being eye opening as well.  It was the first and only SAR mission, law enforcement or CAP, that I have ever been on where I flew with a bag in my hand.  We would have had better luck finding a scattered edition of the Sunday paper.