Main Menu

CAP IDs

Started by ♠SARKID♠, January 21, 2008, 07:25:27 PM

Camas

I joined in 2000 and my number is 30****.  I believe the 400000's started around 2005; the latest numbers appear to be now around 436***.  In our wing the lowest number we have is something like 107*** and that member hasn't been in as long as many others who have higher numbers; mostly in the 14**** series.

CadetProgramGuy

339247......Oh Crap  I mean 33**27

O-Rex

Quote from: edmo1 on January 22, 2008, 05:26:00 AM
I was just thinking, is there any good reason to keep our ID #'s hidden? I know we are all used to it with privacy being what it is today, but I don't think someone could steal an identity with a CAPID#.

I put the stars in there out of habit, but I guess it really doesn't matter. Does it?

[edited for non-sense gibberish that is appearing from lack of sleep]

It started innocently enough: I applied for Region Staff College over the internet, next think you know, someone was wearing MY ribbons. . . . .

Cecil DP

I think that CAP always had a seperate tracking number, Possible MS Access file number, for all members seperate from the SSN. When they decided to get away from the SSN,(I wish the RM would go back to Serial numbers) they just used that internal number.

BTW  mine is 101***,
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

JC004

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on January 22, 2008, 06:13:53 AM

HA!  Now I'm going to use it to empty your bank accounts  ;)

SarDragon

It appears that the current numbers start at 100000, as suggested above. Also, as stated above, the numbers are certainly chronological past the initial assignments at the changeover in 2001.

Cecil DP, where and when did you join CAP? Any breaks in service?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: JC004 on January 22, 2008, 06:43:16 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on January 22, 2008, 06:13:53 AM

HA!  Now I'm going to use it to empty your bank accounts  ;)

Good luck......Vanguard just stole took the last of it

alamrcn

CAPSN# 134047 (uncensored!)
March 1989 as a Cadet
October 1992 as an Officer

I once was able to have National get my join-date corrected, but since the MIMS turned on, it went back to not acknowledging my cadet career. Actually, I think it says I joined in '92, but completed CPP and earned Mitchell in '91... heh, computers!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Cecil DP

Quote from: SarDragon on January 22, 2008, 07:34:11 AM
It appears that the current numbers start at 100000, as suggested above. Also, as stated above, the numbers are certainly chronological past the initial assignments at the changeover in 2001.

Cecil DP, where and when did you join CAP? Any breaks in service?
Cadet 1965-68, Boston Composite Squadron
Break for USMC
Rejoined as a Senior 1971-Present MAWG, MDWG, FLWG
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

baronet68

Joined as a cadet in 1982 and my CAP ID number was 89****, then it morphed into the SSN format 000-89-****.  A couple years later the SSN became pretty much required and I became 531-**-****.

When they dumped SSN's, I can only assume that they took all the current members and issued numbers in alphabetical order, starting at 100000.  My new number was 14**** and the number of another SM in my squadron (who joined years after I did but his name starts with 'B') is 11****.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

chief2

My original CAP ID was by State # first. 52-2817, guess thats a little age telling ;D

alamrcn

Quote from: chief2 on January 22, 2008, 07:12:20 PM
My original CAP ID was by State # first. 52-2817, guess thats a little age telling ;D

So you were from Indiana Wing, right?

The top paragraph of this document touches on the real old-school member numbers...

"Boy, do we have your number!"
by Colonel Leonard A Blascovich, CAP National Historian
- The where and why of Unit & Charter Numbers.
Historical Notes, No. 16
July 1996
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/library/Numbers.pdf

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

chief2

Right on being from the Indiana Wing, I still have one of those patches also.

DNall

Mine is 132792, came in Feb 94, was here when they went to that from SSN. I don't actually know, but I want to say it was alphabetical for the original issue, just based on anecdotal observation. Not that it matters or I care much.

I do wish the RM would get away from SSNs. It is easy to track/remember, but obviously a risk & hassle to shred so much stuff. And, I really think it's a bad thing to have printed in the clear on CACs.

Flying Pig

I am 251XXX.....I joined in 1986.....doesn't sound like there is any rhyme or reason to it.

SarDragon

Quote from: baronet68 on January 22, 2008, 06:53:16 PM
Joined as a cadet in 1982 and my CAP ID number was 89****, then it morphed into the SSN format 000-89-****.  A couple years later the SSN became pretty much required and I became 531-**-****.

When they dumped SSN's, I can only assume that they took all the current members and issued numbers in alphabetical order, starting at 100000.  My new number was 14**** and the number of another SM in my squadron (who joined years after I did but his name starts with 'B') is 11****.

Well, I think the alpha scheme is out, because the person with the next number in sequence after mine starts with an "S". There are other folks with numbers close to mine that are also nowhere close to "B".

But there's a real scheme there, somewhere.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eeyore

Maybe it was numbered out by SSN's...

That seems rather likely since all they would have to do is sort out the ID's they were using and replace them with the new ones.

SarDragon

That one doesn't flush either. I have olde listings of my last two  units, and there's no correlation there, either.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

alamrcn

I'm just waiting for them to draw the 7th number to see if I won the CAP Lotto!

"And your PowerBall number is....."

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

isuhawkeye

if you are SET qualified your ID number can be used to verify skill sign off for es specialty