Meanings of display names and signitures

Started by RogueLeader, April 04, 2007, 07:35:46 PM

fyrfitrmedic

[shrug]

I'm a firefighter and a paramedic; I've used this username here and there for a number of years.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Psicorp

I'm a Babylon 5 fan and have a degree in psychology, so it fits. 
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Major Carrales

Quote from: tedda on April 04, 2007, 09:32:27 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on April 04, 2007, 09:16:58 PM

My initial intent was not to, in actuality "make up my own nickname" but rather to "stick it to those" that were trying to flame me at the time.  "Sparky" was used against me to belittle me in some way, so...like those that are often ridiculed, I adopted the insult as my identity.  And there it remains...albiet altered.

I doubt "those" felt stuck with anything except maybe puzzlement.
Maybe that's why it never stuck, as you say.

It's not an easy task to respond to attacks in a respected forum like this without "going blue."  I did what I could based on my mentality of the time... ;)

Anyway, since then I don't like to get into such fights and exchanges.  It serves no purpose.  When I do get roped into such exchanges...I just let it ride and don't respond.  It's a game I don't feel like playing anymore.

I appologize to Dennis (DNALL) for some of the early exchanges here and at the Portal.  Once I realized that these abstract arguments about CAP were destroying relationships...it wasn't all that important.  Now, Dennis has helped me out a great deal.  For that, I thank him publically.

One would not think such an assist would come if one read the older posts.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Stonewall

Stonewall was the prefix callsign for my Infantry Company when we deployed to Bosnia.  I was Stonewall 1-1 (one, one).  I just took off the 1-1 and went with Stonewall here.  Nothing special.

My signature is my CAP rank, Lt Col, and my Mitchell number which was awarded in June 1991.
Serving since 1987.

AlphaSigOU

AlphaSig = nickname of my college fraternity (Alpha Sigma Phi)
OU = the popular initials for that great university in the Sooner State which I attended many moons ago... The University of Oklahoma! BOOMER SOONER! TUCK FEXAS! (About the only thing I hate - especially if it's colored burnt orange and white - about the Great Republic of Texas - of which I'm a 'naturalized' citizen  ;D) It's been my online 'handle' on several web boards past and present.

The sig line is pretty self-explanatory.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

carnold1836

C Arnold - self explanatory

1836 - the year that the great Republic of Texas gained independence from the tyrannical over-lord Santa Ana.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

floridacyclist

http://www.rideforfatherhood.org - be sure to check the "the riders" and our mission statement
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Tubacap

Tuba- I am a tuba player and band director in North Central PA
cap-I like to wear hats  ;D
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

elkorona

Corona--what a surprise
The Forgotten one--No one seems to remember me at one specific activity
J-O-O...umm, yea...
Zion Man--I bring the power of zion to everyone, one goy at a time
KoKo (CoKo)--Short way of saying Colonel Korona WIWAC
Lt Col Elliott Korona, CAP
Deputy Director, Civic Leadership Academy

shorning

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 04, 2007, 08:08:38 PM
Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 04, 2007, 08:02:44 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on April 04, 2007, 07:44:47 PM
Thus, my current "given" nickname is actually... "Major Carrales" or just "MajorCarr."

So, Joe, where does "Sparky" come from?

"Sparky" was my attempt to see if I could create a "nickname" based on a comment about a pic of me with a service cap on that someone started with..."hold on there sparky."  It never caught on.

Yeah...that was me.  There's a reason it never caught on, sport.

bosshawk

I suppose that some of you guys could wonder how I came up with "bosshawk"  On the other hand, some would not really care much.

"bosshawk" happens to be my email ID: I don't have much imagination, so I use it here.  Boss because at the time that I coined my email address, I was the ExDir of the OV-1 Mohawk Association and hawk because that was the short nickname for the airplane.

Like I said, my imagination sometimes runs short.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

afgeo4

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 04, 2007, 08:40:28 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 04, 2007, 08:35:52 PM

Actually, it's supposed to be, "I am a pupil and need to be taught."  The motto of Peter the Great.  (Don't tell me it's mis-translated.  I may die.)

Jack

Fine, I won't tell you, but hey, google could be wrong.

It must be ... AltaVista's Babelfish gives me this for my line: 

Я буду зрачком, и быть наученным.

Which, you'll note, is the same as in my sig.  (All right, I added the comma.)

Hmmm...my Russian is rusty at best.  Anyone out there can give me the best translation?

Jack

LMAO... the translator used the word pupil in its anatomic sense. Thus, it says:
I will be an eye pupil and be educated. (Yes, it makes no sense in Russian either)
GEORGE LURYE

shorning

Quote from: bosshawk on April 05, 2007, 04:34:26 AM
I suppose that some of you guys could wonder how I came up with "bosshawk"  On the other hand, some would not really care much.

"bosshawk" happens to be my email ID: I don't have much imagination, so I use it here.  Boss because at the time that I coined my email address, I was the ExDir of the OV-1 Mohawk Association and hawk because that was the short nickname for the airplane.

Like I said, my imagination sometimes runs short.

Congratulations on your 100th post! 

I'm in the same boat, but less creative...

ColonelJack

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 05, 2007, 05:42:16 AM

LMAO... the translator used the word pupil in its anatomic sense. Thus, it says:
I will be an eye pupil and be educated. (Yes, it makes no sense in Russian either)

That never occurred to me!  I've corrected it, using "student" for "pupil" and now I think it makes more sense.  I trust Peter the Great will forgive me.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

dwb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid#JUSTIN_BAILEY

Right now, my signature is encampment-related, but most times, I just put song lyrics in there.

isuhawkeye

Hawkeye

My father loved the book last of the Mahicans and named me after one  of the charactors.

ColonelJack

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 05, 2007, 01:29:57 PM
Hawkeye

My father loved the book last of the Mahicans and named me after one  of the charactors.

Tell me your last name is "Pierce" and you win the Pun Award of the Month.   ;D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

1st Lt Provost

I'm a Freemason, that's where mine came from.

1ST LT JOSEPH R PROVOST, CAP
CADET PROGRAMS OFFICER
LEADERSHIP OFFICER
EMERGENCY SERVICES OFFICER
DANIELSON CADET SQUADRON

Chappie

"Chappie" was hung on me 20+ years ago when I began serving as a Law Enforcement Chaplain.  When I retired from that aspect of chaplaincy and began my CAP career, the squadron commander called me "Chappie" (not knowing the previous usage)....so it has stuck with me close to 30 years.  Oh well...been called worst things  :D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)