Meanings of display names and signitures

Started by RogueLeader, April 04, 2007, 07:35:46 PM

RogueLeader

Here's your chance, or oppertunity to explain your display name and or signiture tag.
Mine, RogueLeader is a call sign that I've taken from Star Wars' Rogue Squadron.  It's the combat name used by the RS/CC in the same manner that we use call signs.  It does not mean as some have taken, that I am trying to be rebellious or any such thing.  To me, it is a name of pride, as well as a symbol of both profesionallism and dedication to a cause that IU firmly believe in.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

ColonelJack

Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Carrales

My old 1990s nickname was "El Capitan," after the former Santa Fe Railroad's (BNSF) former train of the same name (along with Star Trek, Mariachi Music and  Garden Railroading...I'm a bit of a die hard Railfan).  People started calling me that as a CB handle and it took to my regular moniker among those circles.

When I started participation in CAP and became a Captain, people now called me that for the reason that I was (eventualy) a Captain.  Soon area Radio talkshow hosts started calling me and referring to me as "Captain Carrales" and was given that name on a political commentary forum.

I then started to get more active in CAP and soon drew my radio contacts into my plans/attempts to retool and revitialize our unit.  When I got promoted to Major, they started calling me "Major Carrales."

Thus, my current "given" nickname is actually... "Major Carrales" or just "MajorCarr."
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 04, 2007, 07:39:58 PM
As does mine.

Jack
Why do you want "I shall teeth and to be trained " as a sig/
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Lancer

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 04, 2007, 07:44:47 PM
Thus, my current "given" nickname is actually... "Major Carrales" or just "MajorCarr."

So, Joe, where does "Sparky" come from?

Major Carrales

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 04, 2007, 08:02:44 PM

"Sparky" was my attempt to see if I could create a "nickname" based on a comment about a pic of me with a service cap on that someone started with..."hold on there sparky."  It never caught on.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 04, 2007, 08:08:38 PM

"Sparky" was my attempt to see if I could create a "nickname" based on a comment about a pic of me with a service cap on that someone started with..."hold on there sparky."  It never caught on.
If you say so Sparky, Sir

;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ColonelJack

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 04, 2007, 07:57:55 PM
As does mine.

Jack

Actually, it's supposed to be, "I am a pupil and need to be taught."  The motto of Peter the Great.  (Don't tell me it's mis-translated.  I may die.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

RogueLeader

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 04, 2007, 08:34:20 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 04, 2007, 07:57:55 PM
As does mine.

Jack

Actually, it's supposed to be, "I am a pupil and need to be taught."  The motto of Peter the Great.  (Don't tell me it's mis-translated.  I may die.)

Jack
Fine, I won't tell you, but hey, google could be wrong.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ColonelJack

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 04, 2007, 08:35:52 PM

Jack

Fine, I won't tell you, but hey, google could be wrong.

It must be ... AltaVista's Babelfish gives me this for my line: 

Я буду зрачком, и быть наученным.

Which, you'll note, is the same as in my sig.  (All right, I added the comma.)

Hmmm...my Russian is rusty at best.  Anyone out there can give me the best translation?

Jack

Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

RogueLeader

It could be because Google is using Russian Beta
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

pixelwonk

Sure my name is Theodore and some people call me Tedd, Teddy or by even by my initials, but it's at their discretion.  ...and to invent something right out of the blue?
That's ...um, kinda weird there.

Nobody (well adjusted) makes there own nicknames.  They're generally made for you and usually to one's chagrin.

From now on I shall be referred to as "Dieter".  Do you want to touch my monkey?  His coat is soft and luxurious.
See?  ...weird.

Oh, and on the subject of my sig, it can't speak for itself.  It has no face, so my name and a link will have to suffice.

RogueLeader

Quote from: tedda on April 04, 2007, 08:59:51 PM

Sure my name is Theodore and some people call me Tedd, Teddy or by even by my initials, but it's at their discretion.  ...and to invent something right out of the blue?
That's ...um, kinda weird there.

Nobody (well adjusted) makes there own nicknames.  They're generally made for you and usually to one's chagrin.

From now on I shall be referred to as "Dieter".  Do you want to touch my monkey?  His coat is soft and luxurious.
See?  ...weird.

Oh, and on the subject of my sig, it can't speak for itself.  It has no face, so my name and a link will have to suffice.
Whateva' Imeria'
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

alexalvarez

Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

JohnKachenmeister

My signature is the result of not being creative enough to come up with a really clever one involving Star Wars or something.
Another former CAP officer

Major Carrales

Quote from: tedda on April 04, 2007, 08:59:51 PM

See?  ...weird.

My initial intent was not to, in actuality "make up my own nickname" but rather to "stick it to those" that were trying to flame me at the time.  "Sparky" was used against me to belittle me in some way, so...like those that are often ridiculed, I adopted the insult as my identity.  And there it remains...albiet altered.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 04, 2007, 09:13:19 PM
My signature is the result of not being creative enough to come up with a really clever one involving Star Wars or something.
Who said only Star Wars?  or thinking about witty lines.  I've been calling myself Rogue Leader, or Rogue One for years.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

pixelwonk

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 04, 2007, 09:16:58 PM

My initial intent was not to, in actuality "make up my own nickname" but rather to "stick it to those" that were trying to flame me at the time.  "Sparky" was used against me to belittle me in some way, so...like those that are often ridiculed, I adopted the insult as my identity.  And there it remains...albiet altered.

I doubt "those" felt stuck with anything except maybe puzzlement.
Maybe that's why it never stuck, as you say.