JROTC.

Started by vesryn, September 09, 2014, 11:05:24 PM

vesryn

My school currently doesn't have a JROTC. I've been told by a counselor that if I can find a teacher that would be willing to be an "advisor" for JROTC and that I can find enough students to join then the school will make one. The problem I'm having is deciding which JROTC to choose. I live on an Army Instillation with some Air Force presence. Because I'm in CAP (duh), I would prefer the AFJROTC, because I would already know most D&C. However, with most of the kids parents being Army, I assume most are interested in AJROTC.

What are the benefits and downsides to each branch? Would I be able to use my experience so far to advance my rank in just AFJROTC or both corps?

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, I can't find a single unified JROTC forum. 
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Eclipse

Any JROTC is fine, see page 57 of 52-16 for the details.

If you want encampment credit for a summer program, it has to be AFJROTC.

With that said, it's more then just finding a teacher.

You'll need to establish a budget for hiring an appropriate retired office and /or NCO to
run and staff the program.  JROTC SASIs and ASI make the difference between their
current retirement pay and whatever the active duty pay for that job would be.
This includes salary, subsistence, clothing, and housing allowances, not to mention
whatever administrative costs are required by the program as a whole.

SASIs and ASI are also not allowed to teach other subjects, so even if you can find
a current teacher at the school who is also military retired, they have to give up their current job
during normal school hours.

This far into the school year, this is unlikely to be possible, however you could start the planning and
budget requests for the 2015-2016 school year now. Bear in mind that most school budgets and plans
need to be completed before the end of the previous year (depends on your district).

You will also need a fairly significant number of students and parents who commit to participation,
otherwise you won't be taken seriously.

Here is most of the high-level info you will need for the discussion:
http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/AFJROTC/Brochure.asp
http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/AFJROTC/FAQ.asp

There are a lot more devilish details to be worked out, such as classroom and drill space,
how you can work the JROTC hours into what is already likely a packed school year, etc., etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

vesryn

QuoteAny JROTC is fine, see page 57 of 52-16 for the details.
Cool
QuoteYou'll need to establish a budget for hiring an appropriate retired office and /or NCO to
run and staff the program.  JROTC SASIs and ASI make the difference between their
current retirement pay and whatever the active duty pay for that job would be.
This includes salary, subsistence, clothing, and housing allowances, not to mention
whatever administrative costs are required by the program as a whole.

SASIs and ASI are also not allowed to teach other subjects, so even if you can find
a current teacher at the school who is also military retired, they have to give up their current job
during normal school hours.
What the counselor is making it sound like is that this will be primarily an after school activity. Also, living on a military base, it shouldn't be hard at all finding someone to teach. Our rival high school (where the other half of Ft. Drum goes to) has their own JROTC, but they have the whole shebang with a class and everything.

QuoteThis far into the school year,
School started last wednesday for us

QuoteThere are a lot more devilish details to be worked out, such as classroom and drill space,
how you can work the JROTC hours into what is already likely a packed school year, etc., etc.

I might just end up trying to make a School CAP squadron. Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see.
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Eclipse

JROTC is not an "after school activity", and you can't just have a counselor teach, "finding someone"
is only 1/2 the job unless you have a school board willing to write  big check.

"This far into the school year" i.e. it's already started.  To do anything this year would have to have
been approved and planned last year.  Your administrators are already hip-deep into 2015-2016 at this point.

A squadron that meets at your school is one thing, a school squadron is a different beast entirely, again it
will take cooperation of the school board, some funding, not to mention NHQ buy-in and more then a few adult members
interested in paying CAP.

Being on a military base helps, but doesn't seal the deal.  My experience has been that people in a uniform all day
aren't necessarily interested in being in a different one on their off hours, and recruiting can be a big PITA because
you can't normally just invite people onto a military base, and those living there can be somewhat transitory.

What's wrong with the unit you are in, now?

"That Others May Zoom"