Coastal Patrol Unit Locations in WW2

Started by wrpawson, July 13, 2007, 05:38:04 AM

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: RiverAux on December 30, 2009, 03:48:05 AM
Sorry, no such thing exists.  Your best bet is to contact the CA Wing historian and see what they have.

Will do.

That brings me to the question for any CAWGers here:

Do you have any contact info for the Wing Historian?  The CAWG website doesn't do me any good, and their PAs only list the name / rank / CAPID; no contact info.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PhoenixRisen

alamrcn

QuoteDo you have any contact info for the Wing Historian?

He would be Ok with me posting this here...

Lt Col Charles Wiest
charleswiest@earthlink.net

FWIW, Charlie put together a FANTASTIC book a couple years ago on California Wing Uniform History. Patches, hats, t-shirts, emblems, documents, etc. He's probably still got copies for $10 shipped, if I remember right.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

PhoenixRisen

Thanks all.  Col Weist contacted me a little while ago!

jbwillson

My, father, L.E. Willson, Sr., flew out of Base # 2 (Rehobeth).  He was the chair of the reunion committee for many years.  These amazing old flyers would gather every October in Rehobeth, tell flying stories, and drink each other under the table.  I have many fond memories of those weekends and of the characters in the unit.  I believe the last survivor was Eddie Edwards, who recently died.  The next to the last was Eddie Phipps, who was my father's best friend and Best Man at his wedding.

If anyone would like to know what I know about some of the Base 2 personnel, please email me!

J. Brooke Willson
Glen Allen, VA

lmikecorbin

Mr. Wilson. My name is Michael Corbin. Another member of CAP MER-DE-006, Dover Composite Squadron and myself are compiling a history of our Squadron. It just so happens that this unit started out as Coastal Patrol Base #2 in Rehoboth Beach. I have lived in the area for over 40 years and I have been intrigued by what these men and women accomplished from that small airport. I would very much enjoy talking to you concerning the members of Base 2. I would eventually like to compile a list of the members to be attached to our history. I am presently looking for stories, pictures, and anything to do with Coastal Patrol Base #2. You may respond here or you may contact me offline if you wish. I hope to hear from you soon. I know we will have lots to talk about. Mike

RiverAux

I would be very careful in asserting that your squadron is descended from a Coastal Patrol base.  While I will be the first to admit that CAP has no rules regarding unit lineage, in my opinion merely being based at the same site does not automatically mean that your unit can say that you are descended from one of the coastal patrol base units.  This doesn't mean that in writing the history of CAP in that town, that you can' mention the base,  but I believe that is as far as you should go. 

Now, there is at least one member here on CAPTalk who disagrees with me on this issue in general and thinks that pretty much anything goes in terms of unit lineage so you can take your pick in who you would like to listen to.

alamrcn

Some of you are very astute as to unit lineage in the military, which I am most definitely not. However, I've had a few observations when looking at things "emblem" related.

Amazingly, the branch records are pretty complete. Army, Navy and Marine Corps all have unit lineages that go back to colonial days. Civil Air Patrol unfortunately has not put as much emphasis on this historical record keeping.

Geography doesn't really hold any stakes in a military unit claiming lineage to a previous unit. "Purpose" or the documented "change of purpose" seems more common. Where a unit is disbanded without reassignment, it's lineage seems to go on hold till a new unit is started with either the old purpose or a new purpose. The new unit is then somehow granted the honor of continuing the other unit's lineage without any direct association.

Ok....

What I'm trying to get at, is wouldn't it be good of National HQ to bestow the lineage and traditions of a Coastal Patrol Base unit on a modern unit, if no such proven lineage exists? Being that our original organizational structure WAS based on geographic location within an Army Air Corps base of operations, the coincidence of location in the absence of other ties would seem to be the best option.

This honorary "bestowing" of lineage would be the responsibility of the National Historian, and of no relation to the organizational chartering system. And with the unfortunate coming-and-going existence, the lineage can easily be renewed and continued.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

I would agree with something like this as long as it was part of a formal process that specifies under what circumstances the lineage of a deactivated unit can be bestowed upon a new unit.  And since geography does play a big role in how CAP is organized, I wouldn't have a problem factoring that into consideration.  I just don't like to see units taking it upon themselves to claim the lineage of other units.

lmikecorbin

Gentlemen, I have read your comments concerning my statement about Coastal Patrol Base #2. Believe me, I do not have any intention in grabbing any type of lineage without proof. That is why I was asking to speak to Mr. Willson. I do not wish to cause any trouble here. I just want to learn more about what I have verbally heard. I have to start somewhere. I apologize for giving you the impression that I knew without a doubt that there was a lineage here. I fully intend to explore all information available before putting anything in writing. I am sorry that my comment created such a firestorm. I have learned a lot about this situation just from your responses. I will not speak again without additional research. Thank you for your comments. Mike

heliodoc

Good Luck, Mike

CAP needs a coherent history.  The CAP Squadron I returned to after 30 years has not a real history before 1985 when some of the real history of the squadron began.

More likely due to the 3-7 year rule of throwing things out CAP is known for without regard for history or even calling or attempting to call former members up.  I know CAPTalkers will say it's impossible to track former members or people who know former members....that is a BS flag waiting to happen.

CAP with its abilities in the Internet age ought to be able to, in every way shape and form, be able to compile a history on every squadron chartered or de- chartered and MAINTAIN a history.  To do otherwise is a total disservice to a dues paying organization..CAP NHQ has a paid staff or can get grant money or student worker to do this sort of work.  CAP member claiming that this can not be done...are BSing themselves.

Again good luck, Mike, on your mission to find the lineage of the squadron and do not let CAPTAlkers chase you away.  They, themselves NEED to know that their individual squadrons did not originate on the date they joined circa 1990-2010

James Shaw

The discussion of squadron lineage has been talked about many times within the historical folks. What has come out of this discussion are a few basic things to think about.

This is my opinion based on these discussions.

1) In order for a unit to claim any direct lineage of a historical nature to another one there has to be a direct organizational link to it. This would mean that the unit history can be tracked without a break in time or service. If the squadron was deactivated for any reason than it could not claim to have a direct history.

2) If the squadron was closed several years for any reason than it would be a reactivated unit with "roots" within that previous squadron. It could not claim direct linkage, but could say that they were "rooted" in the history of that organization and the area.

3) I think that working on unit histories is one of the greatest undertakings that anyone can do. Whether they are a CAP Historian or not you can still contribute to that. The lady who won the Historian of the Year last did an absolutely fantastic job on the history. Her history report beat out several others. Her had supporting documentation and time lines.

The CAP Historians are trying to catchup and get alot of this inforamtion together as many have described in their responses. Alot of this history has been lost and forgotten about. We have a surge of enrgy and dedication by members and others alike who are trying to get this stuff recorded and shared. There is a lady I have been working with who has dedicated the past 6 years of her free time to many LARGE CAP history related projects.

Many of the historians are beginning to use technology more to try and get the information saved and shared. This is a work in progress and we are still learning and moving forward.

The organizational administration also has alot to do with the historical program. If you have the buyin of the leadership than it makes it alot easier to do this stuff. If they dont see the importance in it than the energy behind it falters and causes us to lose ground. I am very happy that GEN Courter supports the Historical efforts and the importance. It helps GREATLY that she supports our efforts.

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Major Carrales

If there was a CAP Coastal Patrol Base in your area, I submit that you owe it to your own charter to be the steward of that Unit's legacy.  Lord known, few else will.

I have been studying into the history of the Corpus Christi Comp Squadron and Coastal Patrol Base 15 which was in Corpus Christi.  It seems, based on my research, that very little outside of my research exists.  I have had to comb microfilm and microfish (sp) of old defunt newspapers and explore people's personal papers.

Fortuately, the National Archives has photos taken by John Felix Vachon, Depression Era Photogtapher, however, aside from the captions, there is little else.

I knwo there is no linage between our unit and that one, however, I am determined to keep that unit's memory alive.  Thus, we have an approved patch based on that unit's signage.  We include the name of that unit on our patch as a reminder of CAP's presence in Corpus Christi from the earliest days of the organization. 

If this is a problem for any of you...well, post your worst.  Honoring our past is no disgrace.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AdAstra

Sparky,

When CP Base 15 was closed down, Major McLendon and his folks went West to set up Tow Target Unit 15 at San Jose AAFB in California. Does any of your research follow them to California? So far, I haven't found much information about the three TTU bases here in California, so any information would be appreciated.
Charles Wiest

RiverAux

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 11, 2010, 06:43:49 PMI have had to comb microfilm and microfish (sp) of old defunt newspapers and explore people's personal papers.

If anyone is interested in the history of CAP in their area during WWII, local newspapers are going to be an outstanding source.  In my experience they had decent stories almost weekly.  After WWII, CAP coverage in the local papers is much spottier and is a lot like what you might see today -- one or two good stories a year.

Major Carrales

Quote from: AdAstra on April 11, 2010, 08:41:41 PM
Sparky,

When CP Base 15 was closed down, Major McLendon and his folks went West to set up Tow Target Unit 15 at San Jose AAFB in California. Does any of your research follow them to California? So far, I haven't found much information about the three TTU bases here in California, so any information would be appreciated.

It would seems that you and I have most of what there is of this story.  I have lots more research to conduct...with I intend to do this summer.  I will keep you posted.

Question?  Did they continue with the same "wolf patrol" emblem in California?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Smithsonia

Speaking of our history in general... may I add:

Our future lies in our past. Sure we've flown Search for 69 years. We've saved many and performed with dignity, courage, and dedication this mission. As our number of RedCaps decrease let us remember what else we have done in service to our country.

War Bond Drives, Blood Drives, transportation for Air Crews, scrap metal drives, disaster relief, security in the tiniest of towns and biggest of cities, communications, memorials, parades, honors, reconnaissance, cow - deer - moose - sheep  - wolf  and beaver- census, aerial surveying, screw worm mitigation (yes that hoofed animal scourge was wiped out by the CAP dropping irradiated drones for dozen of years) predator control, flood photography, water resource management, aerial dignitary transport, medical transport, border patrol, landmark security, over watch of drug fields, weather reporting, security tests, nuclear detection, fire watch, volcano watch, earthquake survey, tsunami watch, mountain pass surveys, aircraft census, photo surveys of every type, resource and nature management, target towing, air raid spotter training, infrastructure surveys, medical relief, public information, chaplain services, we've even provided bus service, haircuts, hot meals and song and dance shows to lonely GIs and Aircrews and of course, lectures on history and aerospace. We've done these things on top of SAR. And, in many states we taught SAR to the professionals and volunteers who do it now in other societies and organizations.

Let us remember the maxim of Gill Robb Wilson... "we are planes and pilots ready to serve. How can we help!"

Of course we can not do all of these things again. Bombing Submarines is likely driven to the history books alone. However -

Let us all recollect our past and recall our very many deeds. Let us dedicate ourselves anew to stand on the broad shoulders of our mentors; walk among giants, and find a new place at the center of Service to our communities and this great country. Our past is in fact our future.

In this way, I am proud to be both a CAP historian and, I suppose, a futurist.

How can we help? We can make sure our history lives and enlightens our way. Afterall we had cadets before the Air Corps had JROTC and women before all the services too. We have long been - The Future.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

AdAstra

Ed,

Well said. For many years, I have set up a CAP Heritage display at our wing conference. I deliberately used the word "heritage" vice "history" to emphasize that these are pieces of our proud CAP heritage. The tagline I use for the display is "Remembering the past, preserving the present, insuring the future." One of our obligations, as both current CAP members and more importantly as CAP historians, is to pass on this legacy to our successors.
Charles Wiest

Smithsonia

Col. Wiest;
I am headed to northern New Mexico and the B-24 crash site in November 1942. This crash was the first (one of two) official
first SAR missions of CAP. Because of snow on the mountain tops we won't make it to the actual site, but we know where it is and have permission from the owner for access later in the summer. So this is mostly information gathering and site seeing. We'll have pictures, details, and contacts by the time I get back on Wednesday Night. Why? Well the scenery is amazing, I love the mountain back country, and this is one heck of a great story with tons of turns twists and surprises.

When we finally get it ready for publication in 2012 - to coincide with the 70th anniversary - it'll knock your socks off. We've tracked the various families of this event, the descendants of the rescued and CAP members. The concentric circles of salvation are remarkable. In this case CAP saved an aircrew, and an eventual US state department negotiators, head of the US census, doctors, lawyers, legislators, and even a governor. When we rescue one - we save all of the unborn off spring. We save hundreds of people through time. We don't just save lives, we save generations of lives.

Thanks for your work on Gill Robb Wilson. Keep it up. All the best.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN