Main Menu

Former Members?

Started by DBlair, March 18, 2011, 06:39:17 AM

abdsp51

There were a few things that led to me leaving, most of it was politics and I was not allowed to capitalize on benefits that I had earned.  I took a leave of absence and let my membership lapse.  I have though t about rejoining but some of what I have seen idk if I'm going to be that quick to jump on it. 

Stonewall

I look at this thread every time someone posts and it makes me think about my membership.

Ironically, I ran into the new squadron CC of my local squadron who asked me to get back involved. Once again, I thought about it. I just can't bring myself to do it.

Cadets are different, I'm different, CAP is different and senior members are different.  While I may take re-joining into consideration, I think all the safety online requirements and hoops to jump through just keep me at away. If I could show up and just play, I'd probably do it. Safety this and safety that, whining senior member here and there, along with the cry baby cadet who complains about not testing every week so he can promote every 2 months for that college aplication.  Then, there's the geeky over weight senior member who keeps telling me how I can't do "that".

what's left to enjoy?

My best experiences in CAP spanned from 1987 to 1991 (cadet years) and then 1996 to 2003. Since then its been filled with frustration.
Serving since 1987.

JC004

I know how you feel...

I was very optimistic for us being able to deal with many of our issues that cause CAP to BLEED members.  Now I'm not so sure that the National Board wants to make the changes in the infrastructure, requirements, missions, and burdens necessary to make the bleeding stop

Eclipse

I don't think much has changed for the general membership in 10+ years.  For those who keep their head down and are happy with unit participation or their niche activity, it is what it's always been.

But for those of us who what CAP to fulfill its promise and be what it should and can be, the frustration has been increasing, because the focus has not been where it needs to be.

If nothing else, the board made it clear today that the SQ is how they like it.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I fear that means "former members" will still be a topic and the bleeding will continue.

I don't think it's radical or crazy to ask for the sort of changes we are asking for.  They don't put the National Board out of business (involve it more, even), and if these people implement these things, they LOOK GREAT for addressing challenges and doing things that make people want to stay.  The organization grows rapidly, it recruits and retains, and they look like wonderful leaders.

Or they don't stay up with the times and make changes, the organization bleeds, the members have contempt for their leaders, and the members quit, posting angry and/or depressing things on the internet and threads like "former members." 

Their choice...  Only they can make the difference.

BillB

JC004.
a page and a half in two days of reasons experienced members are dropping out of the program. That says something in itself. Until such time as the BoG's Governence Report comes out I still see the bleeding of the membership. There are quite a few of former members that would love to get back in the CAP they love, but the politics of the Corporate structure and Wing back stabbing is the cause of them staying out. From General Carr's statements at todays Board, it appears the status quo will remain, and lower membership numbers can be expected.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JC004

Same stuff I've heard again and again and again and again.

Same stuff that is in exit survey after exit survey after exit survey - of the surveys done by NHQ.

It's very, very sad.  It has to be fixed in a positive way and I was hoping this National Board meeting would begin that shift.  There is a lot that can be done and it's not insane, ridiculous, or radical (other than being radically different in some respects).

SJFedor

And as I catch up on all the happenings over the past 6-8 months since I stopped watching what happened w/ CAP, i'm sad to say i'm only getting happier and happier that I chose to walk away. There's still many things I'd like to do and give back to CAP, but this isn't the CAP I signed on for.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JayT

Quote from: SJFedor on August 19, 2011, 01:27:24 AM
And as I catch up on all the happenings over the past 6-8 months since I stopped watching what happened w/ CAP, i'm sad to say i'm only getting happier and happier that I chose to walk away. There's still many things I'd like to do and give back to CAP, but this isn't the CAP I signed on for.

You're a paramedic student, you don't have time for a social life!

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SJFedor

Quote from: JThemann on August 19, 2011, 01:39:03 AM

Agreed. Clinicals start in a week n a half. Goodbye life, see you next June.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JayT

Quote from: SJFedor on August 19, 2011, 01:41:47 AM
Quote from: JThemann on August 19, 2011, 01:39:03 AM

Agreed. Clinicals start in a week n a half. Goodbye life, see you next June.

Off topic, but shoot me an email if there's anything I can do for you.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Parsifal

I am a returning former member who rejoined after a 10 year absence. I have served only in composite squadrons (three different states); I have no staff experience at higher echelons.

My first "enlistment" in CAP (in a composite squadron in the late 90s) was unpleasant. I left within one year because of poor and egocentric leadership, overtasking of a few dedicated SMs, and political infighting. I never intended to return to CAP because of that experience.

A dozen years later I decided to try out CAP again. I tried to find out as much about the local squadron in advance, and closely observed the leadership and squadron activities before joining. Since returning to CAP in 2009, my experience at the squadron level has been extremely favorable.  I've served in two squadrons in different states since returning. I felt at home in both squadrons. I received support, guidance, and recognition from the leadership, staff, and rank-and-file. Unlike my first experience in CAP, my current and immediate past squadron have great leadership, a core of dedicated SMs, and the absence of toxic personalities. Whatever frustrations and disappointments I've experienced are mostly the result of limited resources and time (or "outside forces"), which most volunteer organizations face.

a2capt

Quote from: Parsifal on August 21, 2011, 07:55:30 PMA dozen years later I decided to try out CAP again
Thank you for giving it a try again. Yes, the politics are thick in this organization, sometimes it seeps down into the squadron level, most of the time the units can function around it, and still provide for a program to be of service to the surrounding community, state and nation.

Sooner, more than later, those politicians manage to expose themselves and can't get out of the way of the bus.

sarmed1

Kirt, CAP-RAP as an additional duty assignment is an option for you as well.  It would allow you to bring into play your wide variety of military experience and connections to support CAP programs basically allowing you to "play".  I was  on the verge of ending my CAP involvement as well; work, kids, military commitments and a general disenchantment with the program.  I have found it to be rewarding in the way much of my earlier years of CAP were without having near the voulme of head banging moments, the down side is you are an advisor rather than a policy maker; which still means sometimes you have to stand there and wonder WTF? 
mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Starlock

Some amount of corruption and needing to commit to marching band.

Stonewall

FWIW I sort of renewed today.  My membership expired in December 2010 and I did not renew.  Although I easily could have, I chose not to.  Today, I learned that because I was activated as a National Guardsman for Operation Enduring Freedom, my membership was held and will be extended 90 days following my return.  Although I returned late July, my military orders ended 24 August, so I sent them in and have been extended through November.  At which time I'll reevaluate renewing my membership.

I have been in Patron status for the last year anyway in a wing I don't live in.  Who knows what will happen, but I'm fairly certain I won't be active.
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Ford73Diesel

I was a cadet from 2002-2009 when I turned 21. I transferred to SM. However my "active" participation in CAP ended about mid 2008 right after my last encampment as a cadet. I just had so many things going on between the reserves, college and my other two jobs. Since then I have only been to one encampment (2011 OHWG) and a handful of meetings

I was asked to serve as a "TAC" officer at the most recent OHWG Encampment. Being a two year break from CAP, I found that I was a shell of my former self in terms of CAP knowledge, however had gained more life experience. While almost all of my interactions with the SM's were pleasant, I was still treated as a cadet by some probably due to my age as well as an outsider. (Some of these SM's were not even members when I transferred to SM...)

I found the SM side of things to be rewarding in terms of helping to provide cadets with the same experiences I had, although something just seemed different. A lot of my friends from my cadet days had moved on, however a few people were still around. Also CAP changed. I don't know what it was, but it was just different. The things I was really interested in as a cadet I didn't care about anymore. (like having mirror shined boots, D&C and so on) But I guess that comes with the territory of being a SM. It was really unique to see how encampment worked from a SM side of things. As cadet staff, I always thought it was really only about the basics, with some emphasis on training future cadet leaders. As a SM, I observed  that it seemed to be a learning environment for the cadets, but especially the cadet staff. At the OHWG encampments, the seniors are really hands off and let the cadets run the show. Being a former cadet, it was hard for me to keep my mouth shut. I only answered questions when asked.

I have let my membership lapse this year for the first time ever, but renewed it at the last moment. I will probably not be renewing next year, or if I do, transfer to patron status. This will mainly be due to a reserve commitment taking up most of the year and part of next year.

My future CAP involvement (if any) will be primary focused on cadet programs and encampment. I originally joined CAP to do ES, but never progressed past GES and only went to one SAREX. I found ES to not be "my thing." However, being in the "ghost" squadron in my wing having to send the wing CC an email for permission to go to encampment as SM staff  as well as the new safety thing is some extra loops that make it harder for me to participate.

So in the end, if CAP will have me as a limited participant, I'll stay and help out when I can, but sometimes I think twice before I punch that credit card number in. If CAP changes too much, then I will leave. I never really got into the upper level politics of the SM side of things, and plan to stay away from that.

Mark Harding
C/Capt, (retired)
1st Lt, CAP

Al Sayre

Quote from: Stonewall on August 30, 2011, 01:29:34 AM
FWIW I sort of renewed today.  My membership expired in December 2010 and I did not renew.  Although I easily could have, I chose not to.  Today, I learned that because I was activated as a National Guardsman for Operation Enduring Freedom, my membership was held and will be extended 90 days following my return.  Although I returned late July, my military orders ended 24 August, so I sent them in and have been extended through November.  At which time I'll reevaluate renewing my membership.

I have been in Patron status for the last year anyway in a wing I don't live in.  Who knows what will happen, but I'm fairly certain I won't be active.

I know someone who can fix that for you... ;D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Stonewall

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 30, 2011, 12:11:56 PM
I know someone who can fix that for you... ;D

I bet you do... I spoke to the local CC who has asked for my assistance and I am very reluctant to commit to anything as I have done 3 times in the past 5 years and always walked away after a few meetings.  I just wasn't pleased with the leadership or management of the squadron.  My problem or theirs is irrelevant, I just wasn't happy.  I did suggest that if (and that is a big IF) I do renew my membership, I may be willing to help out with one or two activities a year.  Or, maybe help out when they need a 2nd senior member to make an activity happen.

I also like the option of being able to help out with Cadet Survival School in the future.  CSS is the best activity a cadet can EVER attend.  And I can't help out if I'm not a member.  We'll see.
Serving since 1987.