Solo aeronautical rating qualification.

Started by afgeo4, November 21, 2008, 03:58:29 AM

Duke Dillio

I didn't ever notice the part about having a solo endorsement from a CAP instructor pilot.  My question though is whether a Form 5 checkride is really required for the endorsement.  What if the CAP instructor pilot was the pilot's instructor at a civilian flight school?  I'm just looking for clarification, not trying to cause great controversy here...

afgeo4

Quote from: Sqn72DO on November 25, 2008, 06:52:02 AM
I didn't ever notice the part about having a solo endorsement from a CAP instructor pilot.  My question though is whether a Form 5 checkride is really required for the endorsement.  What if the CAP instructor pilot was the pilot's instructor at a civilian flight school?  I'm just looking for clarification, not trying to cause great controversy here...
My group's Ops officer just told me that it isn't a CAPF-5 ride. It's just a ride with a CAP instructor pilot to check the person for a solo flight. CAP doesn't trust private schools to accurately assess if a student is ready to solo or not, that's all. For CAP solo wings, CAP has to be sure.
GEORGE LURYE

SilverEagle2

When I was awarded mine in 1992...I was instructed and endorsed by a CFI that happened to be a CAP Capt. in a non CAP aircraft that I still remember the tail number of at a CAP Solo Encampment.

However, I never did get a solo endorsement in the CAP 172's (in fact, did not touch a yoke after the solo again until 2006)

As I read it, he needs to have a current solo endorsement by a CAP Instructor Pilot, relevant Solo instruction by the same or another CFI, have a current student cert and medical. Nothing else. No form 5. Granted though, MOST/SOME of the Form 5 items should be known and demonstrated to a point prior to a solo endorsement

Quoteb. CAP Solo Pilot. The following basic requirements must be met to be qualified as a CAP solo pilot in CAP aircraft:
(1) Be an active CAP member at least 16 years of age (for balloon or glider be age 14 or older).
(2) Possess a valid FAA student pilot certificate.
(3) Possess a valid, current medical certificate (not required for gliders or balloons).
(4) Have received the required instruction from an FAA authorized flight instructor (CFI/CFIG), have a written record documenting instruction, for the appropriate aircraft, in accordance with FAR 61.87, and possess a current solo endorsement IAW FARs from a CAP instructor pilot.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

MIKE

If your flight was at a CAP Solo Encampment it likely meets the "CAP aircraft" requirement as defined... which can be a member owned aircraft.
Mike Johnston

SilverEagle2

Not member owned. Privately owned by non member/borrowed for encampment.

As I read it and have had explained by several CAP instructors, as long as you have a solo endorsement in the same Make/Model as the CAP plane that you intend to solo by a CAP instructor, you can be qualified to solo the CAP plane of same Make/Model.

The regs do not stipulate that the solo/intruction plane be a CAP plane/Corp or Member Owned, just posses a current solo endorsement by a CAP instructor pilot.

However, getting the instruction in and endorsement for in a CAP plane covers all the bases with no argument.

A little ambiguity causing a lot of confusion here.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman