Frederick, MD CAP aircraft

Started by aviator_josh, May 23, 2014, 10:50:28 PM

aviator_josh

I was visiting a friend last week in Frederick, MD and saw this aircraft while hanging out at the airport there. Anyone know the story on it? What is it used for?

Eclipse

It's one of the GA-8s purchased for Archer.

There was / is at least one in each Region.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panzerbjorn

Nowadays the GA-8s are used more in the heavy lift role as it's pretty much one of those planes that if you can close the door on it, you can lift it.

ARCHER is starting to fade as it's actual capabilities aren't living up to expectations.  So, as ARCHER slowly goes away, we're left with a heavy lift bird that we need to find other tasks for.  It's a great bird for disaster relief and transporting supplies.

It flies like a big C182, no auto pilot, and not a very comfortable aircraft to fly for any extended period of time.

Hope that helps!
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

PHall

It's also seriously underpowered. One of the reasons CAWG gave up theirs. It can't handle "high and hot".

Eclipse

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on May 31, 2014, 02:59:56 AM
Nowadays the GA-8s are used more in the heavy lift role as it's pretty much one of those planes that if you can close the door on it, you can lift it.

ARCHER is starting to fade as it's actual capabilities aren't living up to expectations.  So, as ARCHER slowly goes away, we're left with a heavy lift bird that we need to find other tasks for.  It's a great bird for disaster relief and transporting supplies.

It flies like a big C182, no auto pilot, and not a very comfortable aircraft to fly for any extended period of time.

Hope that helps!

Slowly?

I'd be surprised if there are more then 2 or 3 operational units left.  They were cannibalizing parts
3 or 4 years ago.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panzerbjorn

Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Flying Pig

Flew it a few times in CA.  Give me a 206 any day.  Uncomfortable, under powered.  At least the version CAP had.  There are other variants of the GA8 that are much better now-a-days. 

Shotgun

N470CP is assigned to the Willow Run Composite Squadron in Ypsilanti, MI.

It is based out of of the airport in Ann Arbor, MI (ARB) where my home unit is located.
Most are assigned to Region HQ's. This one is assigned to a local unit.

We have it set up to carry 3 passengers and is a great platform for Airborne Photography missions.
It is a bit under powered, but flies well due to it's modern wing design.

It's great seeing cadet eyes light up when they show up for their first O-fligt and see the size of the plane they will be flying in.

I do have to admit that for a "big" plane it is pretty cramped in the front two seats.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JacobAnn

Quote from: aviator_josh on May 23, 2014, 10:50:28 PM
I was visiting a friend last week in Frederick, MD and saw this aircraft while hanging out at the airport there. Anyone know the story on it? What is it used for?

Almost looks like a mini Caravan.

Flying Pig

Quote from: JacobAnn on June 02, 2014, 10:31:02 AM
Quote from: aviator_josh on May 23, 2014, 10:50:28 PM

Almost looks like a mini Caravan.

Not when you put them side by side.

scooter

Longest sortie I've had in G8 was almost 4hr according to hobbs. Butt meter said about 6! :( Never flew an airplane as uncomfortable at this thing. OK at sea level, pretty much sucks above 8000'. Having said that, it is a nice stable airplane and if I had to pick an airplane to take my instrument check, this would be on the list. That only takes about an hour! ;)