Aircraft SPOT Logistics

Started by bigfootpilot, March 17, 2014, 02:50:45 PM

bigfootpilot

Looks like our wing is putting SPOT PLBs in all our aircraft which will be required for all flights.  Our squadron is currently caring for 4 airplanes and each SPOT is aircraft specific.  The airplanes sit away from all power sources.  I've heard other wing's are already using SPOTs or InReach systems and I'm wondering what you do as far as keeping them secure, charging them, and the logistics of checking them in/out, etc.

Any insight is appreciated.

Eclipse

Put them in the cargo area and lock the door?

Why would they need to be checked out if they are assigned to a specific plane?

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

We don't specifically assign them.  Sign them out on a CAPF 37.

We have a Google Earth module that tracks each of our SPOTs automatically.  Great SA tool on SAREXs.

bigfootpilot

Some of the initial concerns we have are:

Securing the device when not used. We have a locker and could certainly lock in the aircraft, but just looking for best practices.

Keeping device charged when electricity is not conveniently available.

Any other lessons learned for those already doing this.

a2capt

If the aircraft is flown regularly.. (they are, right?)

.. and the unit is plugged into ships power, it should recharge/recover the amount lost by sitting for a few days while it was otherwise turned off,  as it now should be a checklist addendum item to enable it during pre-flight.

Having it stored someplace and having to be issued, and returned, just seems like..  I mean, it's to track the aircraft. So. Why not leave it with the aircraft.

ol'fido

We had some MOWG people(great bunch to work with) come over this weekend and help us out on our group SAREX. They brought SPOT GPS Messengers with them that they use in all their aircraft. Most of us thought they were pretty handy for tracking the aircraft in real time. Down here there is no ATC until you get to about 3-4,000' AGL normally. So there were real handy. The only thing you really have to worry about is someone accidently (by playing with it intentionally as it is covered) pressing the message button. Apparently the email rate for it is about $100/ min. I am considering getting a couple for our group's aircraft.

BTW, thanks to the members of the MO-111, Gateway Senior Squadron, for helping out this weekend.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

ol'fido

Quote from: bigfootpilot on March 17, 2014, 03:35:41 PM
Some of the initial concerns we have are:

Securing the device when not used. We have a locker and could certainly lock in the aircraft, but just looking for best practices.

Keeping device charged when electricity is not conveniently available.

Any other lessons learned for those already doing this.
As I stated, MOWG uses them. You might contact their wing Ops staff or talk to LtCol Carolyn Rice at Gateway Senior Squadron near St.Louis.

ricescscap@gmail.com

UH60guy

If you have the locker, could you include the aircraft key inside the locker with the specific SPOT device for the aircraft? Maybe a carabiner or other clip to attach the key. Granted it will be be like one of those giant gas station bathroom keychains, but it gives you the added benefit of it being secure outside the aircraft, yet visible enough the pilot can't forget it before the flight.

As far as keeping it charged, that depends on the type of locker you have. If you can get one of the ones with the "mesh" (for lack of better word) or weave style openings instead of a fully enclosed locker, you may be able to run a power cord into it to keep the device charged and secure when not in use.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

arajca

Quote from: bigfootpilot on March 17, 2014, 02:50:45 PM
Looks like our wing is putting SPOT PLBs in all our aircraft which will be required for all flights.  Our squadron is currently caring for 4 airplanes and each SPOT is aircraft specific.  The airplanes sit away from all power sources.  I've heard other wing's are already using SPOTs or InReach systems and I'm wondering what you do as far as keeping them secure, charging them, and the logistics of checking them in/out, etc.

Any insight is appreciated.
I suggest PM'ing wuzzafuzz. He's from CO-147 and has experience with the SPOT devices and is one of the proponents.

Larry Mangum

Contact UTWG, they have them in all the wings aircraft.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

isuhawkeye

I own and have used a few units of the first generation SPOT device.  They are great tools. 

The ones I have are battery driven and do not eat bateries very quickly.  They run on 4 AA batteries.

You could simply assign it to the aircraft and just make sure it is turned on when in flight.  If you want to use the 911 feature or the message feature you will want it close to the crew.  I have even clipped it to the sun visor before. 

Mine do not have any additional charge for preset messages. 

Al Sayre

MS Wing also has them in all of the aircraft and are supposed to use them on every flight.  They are battery driven, and use Li-Ion batterys that aren't cheap but last a reasonably long time.  IIRC we change them about every 6 mos or as needed if we find SPOT won't talk.  We just keep them in the center console or side pocket when not in use.  They work great.  Ours are set up to report every 15 minutes. Makes it nice so the FRO or IC can check and see where the plane was last and estimate a time of return as well as be sure that the pilot is doing what he said he had planned.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

wuzafuzz

My squadron obtained a couple SPOT Gen II devices and paid the initial subscriptions with a grant from my employer.  They have been great.  Each one is named to represent the plane the device is used in.  We put both devices on one account so we can view them simultaneously.  That's really handy during training or missions.

The Gen II SPOTs ran on AAA batteries.  In my experience the batteries are good for about 7 days of constant use.  (Using Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA cells.) They keep a charge in storage for a long time so no charging contraption was needed.  We replace the batteries with squadron money.  I understand the Gen III SPOTs can run on recharagable batteries as well.

SPOTs are handy for ground teams as well.  Days after recommending one to friends they used it to summon rescuers for a head injury victim in their party.  Cell phones were no help due to their remote location in the Yosemite backcountry. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

bigfootpilot

Perfect.  I appreciate everyone's input - very helpful.  It sounds like the batteries last for quite a while and simply having a spare set in the airplane would be sufficient.

Spaceman3750

ol'fido

Spaceman3750

Quote from: ol'fido on March 19, 2014, 02:51:54 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 19, 2014, 01:56:08 AM
http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128
What we used last weekend.

http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102

I've always thought about getting one to take on the bike with me. It would seem like the link I posted would be better for tracking aircraft, as it appears they have a way to wire into a power source.

ol'fido

The batteries work just fine and you can move them easily to another airframe or vehicle if you need to. Also, if needed you can ping the site by changing modes with the GPS manager and it will update your location faster. Plus, a ground team can take one with them if they need to leave the vehicle.

Mustang

I've been hearing grumblings that some folks in CAP-USAF don't consider these SPOT trackers to be an acceptable means of "Command and Control".
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

ol'fido

That's a really open ended statement. Can you provide some more particulars about why they don't like them. Is it "not invented here" or is there some other reason. I will follow the orders and policies that are sent down from on high, however, I am less likely to grumble about it when I know there is a legitimate reason for the order or policy other than "so and so doesn't like it".