USCGAux Pilots

Started by Blackhawk, September 20, 2013, 03:43:23 AM

Blackhawk

Anyone flown as part of the USCGAux, or know anyone who has?  If so, what were your impressions and experiences like?  What similarities and differences are their operations from CAP beyond the obvious organizational differences?

Flying Pig

They are member owned aircraft for starters.......

Eclipse

Are you writing a thesis or something?

We've got members from all walks, but this is a CAP-focused board and you're asking a lot of generalized questions about other agencies.

"That Others May Zoom"

Blackhawk

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2013, 04:09:51 PM
Are you writing a thesis or something?

We've got members from all walks, but this is a CAP-focused board and you're asking a lot of generalized questions about other agencies.

I'm am doing some research, which is CAP focused, but shouldn't exclude discussing other topics as they intersect with CAP.

Eclipse

Why?

Thinking of joining?  Writing a paper?  Other?

I think these are fair questions considering the topics you're asking about.

Once could certainly make the case that you are fishing for info not generally available except to, and only as needed, by members.

"That Others May Zoom"

Blackhawk

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2013, 08:34:18 PM
Why?

Thinking of joining?  Writing a paper?  Other?

I think these are fair questions considering the topics you're asking about.

Once could certainly make the case that you are fishing for info not generally available except to, and only as needed, by members.

I'm an active duty officer doing research in an academic setting.  I have all of the surface information about the topic posted; I am interested in, as stated in the original post: What impressions and experiences folks have had with USCGAux pilots and how they are similar or dissimilar from CAP operations.  That is hardly an OPSEC violation or breach of someone's personal identifying information.  Now, how about we leave the detective work and vetting for the moderator and keep this post running for what it was designed: discussing and sharing information.   

Eclipse

Or you could can the 'tude and tell us why you're asking to start with.

In a month, you've asked about the AFA, DHS internal agency interaction, and now CGAUX flying, and always
in vague terms.  About the only thing CAP-related was question about HMRS.

Certainly there's no specific requirement that everything be CAP-focused, we all stray into other areas,
but afterall, this is CAPTalk.

An active duty military officer ought to have a lot more direct access to this kind of information then here.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

In my AOR it seems that the limiting factor is that AUXAIR operates only out of AIRSTA Cape Cod.
Mike Johnston

Blackhawk

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2013, 10:18:20 PM

In a month, you've asked about the AFA, DHS internal agency interaction, and now CGAUX flying, and always

Certainly there's no specific requirement that everything be CAP-focused, we all stray into other areas,

An active duty military officer ought to have a lot more direct access to this kind of information then here.

If you look again at my posts, you will notice that they all have to do with CAP.  My asking about how other organizations interact with CAP does not exclude CAP from being the topic; therefore, it is CAP talk.  Please stop harassing me, and distracting from the original purpose of this post. 

Blackhawk

RiverAux

A large part of this thesis discusses Auxiliary aviation issues.  http://www.uscg.mil/history/uscghist/auxiliary/docs/BarnerMichaelThesis-Final.pdf

While not flying with CG Aux, I am in the Aux and have had some dealings with the aviation program.  In my view it is incredibly different than CAP. 

For one thing, Aux aviation assets are scattered about and it is common for there only to be a few people that fly in any given unit and that activity is mostly going to be a sidelight.  CAP on the other hand, is very focused on flying in just about everything we do (at least for senior members).  In other words, except for a seminar here and there, they aren't regularly interacting with other CG Aux flying folks (probably more interaction along the coast, but for inland you might be the only flier in the entire state).  Frankly, it indicates to me that CAP's all-important safety program may not be adding a whole lot of value if CG Aux can have pretty much as good a safety record without all the CAP hassle. 

For the most part CAP runs its flying program while CG Aux fliers are getting tasked directly by the CG.  We spend a lot of developing talent to manage flight ops.

The biggest difference is that CG Aux flying is almost entirely geared at routine patrols while CAP is primarily geared at either emergency response and/or training for that, and orientation flights for cadets.  So, you can plan out a lot of your CG Aux flying in advance, while its a lot more hit or miss with CAP. 

PHall

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on September 20, 2013, 10:38:54 PM

If you look again at my posts, you will notice that they all have to do with CAP.  My asking about how other organizations interact with CAP does not exclude CAP from being the topic; therefore, it is CAP talk.  Please stop harassing me, and distracting from the original purpose of this post.

If you had said in the very beginning what you were doing your experience here on CAPTalk would have been much nicer.
As a matter of fact you probably would have gotten more help then you wanted.

Blackhawk

RiverAux, thanks for the post, interesting and enlightening information!

Blackhawk

Quote from: PHall on September 21, 2013, 12:11:14 AM
Quote from: HeadHunter06 on September 20, 2013, 10:38:54 PM

If you had said in the very beginning what you were doing your experience here on CAPTalk would have been much nicer.
As a matter of fact you probably would have gotten more help then you wanted.

My personal information and feelings are irrelevant.  I posted a simple question, which should be have been simple enough to answer, just as Mike & RiverAux did.  I don't see the need for you to jump on Eclipse's wagon after the forum got back on track.  Do you have experiences related to the original question that was posted that you would like to share?

Blackhawk

Mike - NPS is a secret treasure trove for obscure theses!  Every student going through there is required to write a thesis, or do a capstone project.  Given their experiences, they often write unique papers that we can only wish more civilian academics would write.

Eclipse

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on September 21, 2013, 12:53:58 AMMy personal information and feelings are irrelevant.  I posted a simple question, which should be have been simple enough to answer, just as Mike & RiverAux did.  I don't see the need for you to jump on Eclipse's wagon after the forum got back on track.  Do you have experiences related to the original question that was posted that you would like to share?

This isn't Google - just because you wander in here doesn't mean anyone is required to provide information, nor are we precluded from
asking why you're asking, especially when you consider the nature and vagaries of the questions.

Being non-anonymous when asking those types of questions wouldn't hurt, either.

"That Others May Zoom"

Blackhawk

Quote from: Eclipse on September 21, 2013, 01:43:00 AM
Quote from: HeadHunter06 on September 21, 2013, 12:53:58 AMMy personal information and feelings are irrelevant.  I posted a simple question, which should be have been simple enough to answer, just as Mike & RiverAux did.  I don't see the need for you to jump on Eclipse's wagon after the forum got back on track.  Do you have experiences related to the original question that was posted that you would like to share?

This isn't Google - just because you wander in here doesn't mean anyone is required to provide information, nor are we precluded from
asking why you're asking, especially when you consider the nature and vagaries of the questions.

Being non-anonymous when asking those types of questions wouldn't hurt, either.

The beauty of a forum like this is that you don't have to answer someone's question if you don't want to.  If you don't like someone's question or topic, you can move on to another one.  But, if you are going to reply to a post, you should at least be courteous enough to contribute something relevant and worthwhile to the original question.  Don't get so emotional, it's just a forum.  8)

So, just to reiterate the original question again:

has anyone flown as part of the USCGAux, or know anyone who has?  If so, what were your impressions and experiences like?  What similarities and differences are their operations from CAP beyond the obvious organizational differences?

RiverAux

There is one former Auxiliary member that was an active member of the CG Aux Air program and that occasionally posts here, but you're more likely to hear from him on the military.com CG Aux forum

SunDog

Hi HeadHunter,

I have some limited exposure - my Wing flys patrols that overlap with CGAux patrols. They fly 500' agl, in their member-owned aircraft, and are reimbursed for fuel only, I believe.

I understand they have to have CG mandated restraints/shoulder harnesses in their aircraft - four point, maybe? - and incur that cost themselves, which can be substantial.

The CGAux flyers are rolled into the existing support structure manned by the CG AD and Reserve folks. My impression is they have much less "overhead", no additional need for dedicated IC - CG already has that covered. Unlike DOD services, CG  does NOT use Reservist pilots -

Some folks here revel a bit in righteous indignation - if you PM  me, I'll ask around - I may be able to put you in touch with one or two CGAux pilots.

We have a CAP member, also an Aux, who mans radio watch for both grouos on summer weekends - I think he flys Aux only, but is long-time CAP, too.

PA Guy

The Aux Air program is quite small.  The CG requires Aux Air crews to take the "spin and puke" training along with water egress training I believe. I've been an Auxie for 7yrs augmenting at a CG Air Sta and have never run across anyone from Aux Air.  I know they were deeply involved in the Deep Water Horizon mission.  They also have some self funded maint. costs that apparently caused some to drop out of the program.

As someone mentioned the CG Aux forum on military.com has a fair amount of posts related to Aux Air if you go far enough back.