iPad ORM Worksheet App

Started by bigfootpilot, May 23, 2013, 07:41:50 PM

bigfootpilot

I just released an iPad app designed to make filling out ORM Worksheets easier and would appreciate feedback you all have.

To find the app, simply search for "Civil Air Patrol" or "CAP Aviation" in the app store or click here:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cap-aviation-operational-risk/id646077621

App description follows:

This app is built specifically for all Civil Air Patrol pilots, flight release officers, briefers, incident commanders, and other personnel that are looking for an easy and quick way to complete the Operational Risk Management (ORM) Worksheet. This easy-to-use app harnesses the power of the touch screen to create and e-mail a completed ORM Worksheet PDF while saving time and increasing accuracy. Send the worksheet to yourself, your FRO, or to any number of cloud services, then easily upload the worksheet into WMIRS.

JeffDG

Fantastic!

One quick thing...on the mission info page, have a button for "Current" for date would save some entry time...

bigfootpilot

Great suggestion!  That'll be in the next update.

Майор Хаткевич

What if I can only afford an android device

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

TXCAP

Something one of our members developed for us is not an app but if you access this URL, http://cap.jdrnetworking.com/ , on an iPad through a browser such as iUploader you can do air ORM, ground ORM, W&B (TX Group 6 aircraft), and fuel receipts and upload to WMIRS.  You can also access weather to cut and paste into the e104.  Obviously you can also access it from a PC, MAC, any device with a web browser.

Eclipse

The issue with these apps, especially weight & balance, is whether or not someone has made a math error, which could result in
a seriously unsafe condition, and how and who vets them officially.

Both the ORM  form and W&B charts have to be approved by either NHQ or your Wing DO, respectively.  We've had a few of these unofficially
floating around our area, spreadsheets and whatnot, only to find mistakes.

The ORM changes a lot less.

The best case would be for NHQ to build these tools into WMIRS.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on May 24, 2013, 01:59:20 PMThe best case would be for NHQ to build these tools into WMIRS.

What, you were serious?  NHQ has a "High priority project" that was promised to be out last September that nobody can find any evidence is being worked on at all.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on May 24, 2013, 02:42:23 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 24, 2013, 01:59:20 PMThe best case would be for NHQ to build these tools into WMIRS.

What, you were serious?  NHQ has a "High priority project" that was promised to be out last September that nobody can find any evidence is being worked on at all.

Yeah, I know - I actually thought that as I typed it.

Nothing is ever quite as easy as it looks, but it's rarely as difficult as NHQ makes it.
I work with developers that can hammer out a client-facing application or multi-media display in a matter of days, but for some reason
we can't get out of the groove on what is ultimately simple data access and updating a few regs.

It would be very interesting if the issue is simple intertia, "not invented here" syndrome, procrastination, overplanning, or fear that a path begun cannot be reversed.

Give me an hour and I'll give you a workable solution, give me an open-ended calendar, and you'll be lucky to get anything.
At some point you just have to start cutting wood.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

As I understand it we have no development or quality assurance (QA) setups for the e-services apps. This would make reversal a challenge.

Storm Chaser

Even in the Air Force, members come up with tools such as apps and spreadsheets to make things easier when planning. They're not meant to replace the current and authorized tools and processes, but as an additional tool to quickly check what was done. That usually happens much faster than the Air Force can come up with a validated and approved solution.

By making this app public, there will be a big number of testers and SMEs available to validate it. If issues are found, the developer can be notified so he can fix them. I suspect that, eventually, NHQ will come up with a solution standardized solution. But until then, members are going to find creative ways to make their lives easier, while still accomplishing the mission safely. We just need to understand, that while these tools are great for SA, they can't replace the validated and approved tools and processes.