Article: Marine Corps and Civilian Aircrews Replacing Maps With iPads

Started by bassque, June 21, 2011, 08:55:37 PM

ccrop

Quote from: CapmCrunch on June 22, 2011, 03:17:57 AM
Let me make the issue simple.  Although I enjoy technology, and use it in its various fashions every day of my life.  I will tell you like I tell my personnel when instructing them on Land Navigation and Map Use.  It is an electronic device that is subject to numerous problems from reception to dead batteries.  Train on the basic technology (a paper map and compass).  Become proficient with there use.  Then introduce the high tech gadgets and use them til your hearts are content.  But keep the paper map and compass handy, and stay proficient with its use, because when you need that tech gadget the most it will not work. 

Why do I feel this way.  On the gulf coast we are subject to Hurricanes.  Power often goes out during these events.  Cell phones have been known to stop working.  Computer networks stop working. WiFi, That's not working either.  How do you download or even update a map when the power is out, and the systems that you have grown to trust are not working.  Oh that iPad may be working fabulous until the battery dies.  Where do you recharge that battery.  At that point its just another thing that adds to your weight and balance.  When all this happens,  That paper map will turn on when you unfold it.

I remember as a child being able to walk into a supermarket when the power was out and still be able to by groceries.  Why you ask?  Because the price was marked on the item and someone could add, subtract, and figure out sales tax.  This could be done either in there head, on paper, or with a solar power calculator.  Try that now!  Walk up to a store with the power out,  you will find the doors locked. Why because that store cannot function without its computers.  Thousands of dollars worth of hardwear and its useless.  HOPE YOU PLANNED AHEAD!!!!!!

Family of five in a 22 foot boat about 20 miles off the coast of Louisiana.  Owner becomes disoriented.  Fancy expensive GPS is not working (found out later it was a corroded terminal)  Was able to navigate back to port with a chart that his son had convinced him to buy.

Again I love Technology!  I know that you think I am talking worst case scenario, However lets not forget how to do things the old way.  One day you may be thankful that you know how.

All good points and I agree 100%. As a former Marine we did tons of land nav exercises. My wife bought me a GPS as a gift. I used it on a trip to th eeast coast. Driving fron Va. Beach to D.C. it took us to Delaware.  :o  I put it it the truck console and that is where it is a year later. Technology has it's flaws.  I was an Avionics Tech and am wondering who will maintain the Ipads. Is Apple going to send tech support to a war zone? I pretty much doubt it.