Article: Marine Corps and Civilian Aircrews Replacing Maps With iPads

Started by bassque, June 21, 2011, 08:55:37 PM

Eclipse

It's a good idea, just the wrong platform.

Once they've spent a little time trying to distribute non-apps-store resources in an enterprise environment, these'll
be Android tablets.  Then we can start doing real work. (burned a few client dollars on that exact issue today).

I'd say one way or anyone the end of paper is finally in sight.  The king is dead, long live the king!

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on June 21, 2011, 11:11:23 PM

Once they've spent a little time trying to distribute non-apps-store resources in an enterprise environment, these'll
be Android tablets.  Then we can start doing real work. (burned a few client dollars on that exact issue today).

I'd say one way or anyone the end of paper is finally in sight.  The king is dead, long live the king!

Even though I agree with you that apple sucks I was under the impression that this was commercial software(Jeppesen?) they're running so it should be hiccup free.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

wuzafuzz

I want gridded sectionals on a tablet! 

BTW, that tablet should have a replaceable battery.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

davidsinn

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 21, 2011, 11:21:35 PM

There is a company that sells them in electronic format. Pick your tablet of choice and carry on.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on June 21, 2011, 11:17:19 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 21, 2011, 11:11:23 PM

Even though I agree with you that apple sucks I was under the impression that this was commercial software(Jeppesen?) they're running so it should be hiccup free.
It's not that Apple sucks, per se, it's that their distribution system is locked down with iTunes.  Anything not in the actual Apple store has a convoluted
enterprise system to allow things to be loaded.  Not a deal breaker, just a PITA compared to other platforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Quote from: davidsinn on June 21, 2011, 11:57:52 PM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 21, 2011, 11:21:35 PM

There is a company that sells them in electronic format. Pick your tablet of choice and carry on.
Thanks for sharing.  That's pretty neat.

Flying Pig

bassque

Im an apple fanboy admitadley but I do agree that the iPad is probably not the best platform for this.  However it does being up the conversation of using more technology in our ES services beyond the traditional.  With consumer electronics being more and more powerful and affordable,  they can be great tools to use.  I'd personally think an Android or MeeGo type of device would work great in this capacity!

CapmCrunch

Let me make the issue simple.  Although I enjoy technology, and use it in its various fashions every day of my life.  I will tell you like I tell my personnel when instructing them on Land Navigation and Map Use.  It is an electronic device that is subject to numerous problems from reception to dead batteries.  Train on the basic technology (a paper map and compass).  Become proficient with there use.  Then introduce the high tech gadgets and use them til your hearts are content.  But keep the paper map and compass handy, and stay proficient with its use, because when you need that tech gadget the most it will not work. 

Why do I feel this way.  On the gulf coast we are subject to Hurricanes.  Power often goes out during these events.  Cell phones have been known to stop working.  Computer networks stop working. WiFi, That's not working either.  How do you download or even update a map when the power is out, and the systems that you have grown to trust are not working.  Oh that iPad may be working fabulous until the battery dies.  Where do you recharge that battery.  At that point its just another thing that adds to your weight and balance.  When all this happens,  That paper map will turn on when you unfold it.

I remember as a child being able to walk into a supermarket when the power was out and still be able to by groceries.  Why you ask?  Because the price was marked on the item and someone could add, subtract, and figure out sales tax.  This could be done either in there head, on paper, or with a solar power calculator.  Try that now!  Walk up to a store with the power out,  you will find the doors locked. Why because that store cannot function without its computers.  Thousands of dollars worth of hardwear and its useless.  HOPE YOU PLANNED AHEAD!!!!!!

Family of five in a 22 foot boat about 20 miles off the coast of Louisiana.  Owner becomes disoriented.  Fancy expensive GPS is not working (found out later it was a corroded terminal)  Was able to navigate back to port with a chart that his son had convinced him to buy.

Again I love Technology!  I know that you think I am talking worst case scenario, However lets not forget how to do things the old way.  One day you may be thankful that you know how.

Eclipse

^ Have a generator, extra batteries (which is another strike against most Apple products), and don't live someplace that the ocean wants back.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flyinsarge

All I can think is this: A pilot is traped behind enemy lines, trying to make his/her way back to friendly forces and suddenly: "Whoops! low battery!" (or worse, the backglow attracts the attention of nearby enemy soldiers).

JC004

I'm also thinking Android and for sure something with a swappable battery.  I won't buy something without a swappable battery for my own use.  There's no way I'd do it for something that could be mission-critical.

Does Angry Birds come pre-installed on the government model?

isuhawkeye

I have been flying with my iPad for a year now.  I still carry paper maps in my flight bag, but the conversion to digital as changed the way I do flight planning.  I use the app ForeFlight which has the easeof use and reliability that I need.  In short it's incredible.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: CapmCrunch on June 22, 2011, 03:17:57 AM
Let me make the issue simple.  Although I enjoy technology, and use it in its various fashions every day of my life.  I will tell you like I tell my personnel when instructing them on Land Navigation and Map Use.  It is an electronic device that is subject to numerous problems from reception to dead batteries.  Train on the basic technology (a paper map and compass).  Become proficient with there use.  Then introduce the high tech gadgets and use them til your hearts are content.  But keep the paper map and compass handy, and stay proficient with its use, because when you need that tech gadget the most it will not work. 

Why do I feel this way.  On the gulf coast we are subject to Hurricanes.  Power often goes out during these events.  Cell phones have been known to stop working.  Computer networks stop working. WiFi, That's not working either.  How do you download or even update a map when the power is out, and the systems that you have grown to trust are not working.  Oh that iPad may be working fabulous until the battery dies.  Where do you recharge that battery.  At that point its just another thing that adds to your weight and balance.  When all this happens,  That paper map will turn on when you unfold it.

I remember as a child being able to walk into a supermarket when the power was out and still be able to by groceries.  Why you ask?  Because the price was marked on the item and someone could add, subtract, and figure out sales tax.  This could be done either in there head, on paper, or with a solar power calculator.  Try that now!  Walk up to a store with the power out,  you will find the doors locked. Why because that store cannot function without its computers.  Thousands of dollars worth of hardwear and its useless.  HOPE YOU PLANNED AHEAD!!!!!!

Family of five in a 22 foot boat about 20 miles off the coast of Louisiana.  Owner becomes disoriented.  Fancy expensive GPS is not working (found out later it was a corroded terminal)  Was able to navigate back to port with a chart that his son had convinced him to buy.

Again I love Technology!  I know that you think I am talking worst case scenario, However lets not forget how to do things the old way.  One day you may be thankful that you know how.
Always remember how to do things without the fancy gadgets.  At the same time, embrace tech that allows you to do things faster and more efficiently when you can.  Best of both worlds. 

The only reason I don't have more techno gadgets in my bag of tricks is the expense.

BTW, my son is a Marine crew chief on helos.  He says the pilots aren't using iPads.  Instead they have some other ruggedized whiz-bang electronic knee-boards that do some things the iPad can't.  Pretty sure they don't play music though  ;-)

Thrashed

Quote from: isuhawkeye on June 22, 2011, 11:39:42 AM
I have been flying with my iPad for a year now.  I still carry paper maps in my flight bag, but the conversion to digital as changed the way I do flight planning.  I use the app ForeFlight which has the easeof use and reliability that I need.  In short it's incredible.

I use Foreflight and the Bad Elf GPS on my iPhone. Work great.

Save the triangle thingy

Thrashed

Quote from: Flyinsarge on June 22, 2011, 04:39:38 AM
All I can think is this: A pilot is traped behind enemy lines, trying to make his/her way back to friendly forces and suddenly: "Whoops! low battery!" (or worse, the backglow attracts the attention of nearby enemy soldiers).

It's for flight maps, charts, approach plates; not escape and evasion. Leave the iPad in the cockpit.

Save the triangle thingy

davidsinn

Quote from: Thrash on June 23, 2011, 07:22:28 PM

It's for flight maps, charts, approach plates; not escape and evasion. Leave the Smash the iPad in the cockpit.

I bet that's the actual procedure ;)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Thrashed

Aircraft are a power source, so no battery needed; just plug it in.

Alaska Airline pilots got iPads already.
United (and Continental) Airline pilots are getting them (all 12,000). I'm supposed to get mine in August. There will also be a backup set of Jepps in the aircraft. The iPads are not just for Jepps, but for all the company manuals we carry. I can't wait to dump the 40lb brain bag.  ;D

Save the triangle thingy

Thrashed

Quote from: davidsinn on June 23, 2011, 07:24:58 PM
Quote from: Thrash on June 23, 2011, 07:22:28 PM

It's for flight maps, charts, approach plates; not escape and evasion. Leave the Smash the iPad in the cockpit.

I bet that's the actual procedure ;)

I thought of that, but didn't type it since I'm a civilian getting an iPad. UAL would't like it, and I'd have to buy the new one.  ;D

Save the triangle thingy