Main Menu

Tactical Vests

Started by isuhawkeye, March 23, 2008, 11:10:02 PM

isuhawkeye

I didn't think it would. 

It is designed to very similar to the LBE.  The "But Pack" looks kind of floppy, but it actually pulls in pretty tight to the body. 

I moved really well with the system on, and the pockets were surprisingly easy to get to

TankerT

Does it have enough storage to fit a full 24 hour pack?

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

isuhawkeye

it sure does.

the but pack is massive.  I shoved a ton of gear in there.  I filled up all of my 24 hr kit and I still have pouches to spare. 

my f button must have been sticking

SARMedTech

Quote from: isuhawkeye on May 02, 2008, 02:32:13 PM
it sure does.

the but pack is massive.  I shoved a ton o gear in there.  I illed up all o my 24 hr kit and I still have pouches to spare. 

Looks like you packed the "f" key a little prematurely.  ;)
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

isuhawkeye

That I did.

I know that you guys have  a lot of experience with field gear in a variety of situations, so I need you help.

I am in the process of reviewing several pieces of equipment for  a few different vendors, and I would like to come up with a standardized report card for these reviews. 

What specific areas, or issues would you like to see addressed, or reviewed?

you can post here, PM me, or e-mail me.  Thanks

Also if you can get close I would happily lend out some stuff for you to review for me.

I myself use a fishing vest and it works wonders for me.   ;)

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

isuhawkeye

so, Tanker.   Did you order your vest yet???????

TankerT

Yup.  Should come on the 15th, according to an e-mail I got yesterday.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Pylon

So would something like this work well enough for basic GT and UDF work?

Seems like it'd work well because you've got the open back (comfortable sitting in van or plane with it on), it's MOLLE (so you can put whatever you need on there, and nothing more or less), and it doesn't seem too bulky but not too stringy/flimsy either.

Any thoughts?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

isuhawkeye

I don't have any first hand experience with MOLLE systems.  the concept is sound, and our troops overseas certainly have spent enough time getting in and out of vehicles. 

My only issue with military vests is the fact that you end up needing to wear an orange safety vest over top of the system,

Pylon

Quote from: isuhawkeye on May 12, 2008, 01:42:30 AM
I don't have any first hand experience with MOLLE systems.  the concept is sound, and our troops overseas certainly have spent enough time getting in and out of vehicles. 

Well it seems if I'm starting from scratch, the MOLLE stuff might be a good way to go.  There seems to be an endless variety of modules/accessories available, plus the protective canvas sleeves we have on our CAP ISR radios would clip right onto a MOLLE loop.

Quote from: isuhawkeye on May 12, 2008, 01:42:30 AM
My only issue with military vests is the fact that you end up needing to wear an orange safety vest over top of the system,

Yeah, that seems like it would defeat the simplicity and easy-access benefits of the vest.  I wonder if something strikingly similar (or even identical) is made in an orange fabric.  Would that satisfy the safety vest requirement? 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

isuhawkeye

my interpretation has always been that if your SAR vest is orange then you can count it as your safety vest.

Thats just my opinion

notaNCO forever

As long as it has orange on it and its a vest that would technically make it a orange vest.

Hawk200

Quote from: NCO forever on May 15, 2008, 08:12:49 PM
As long as it has orange on it and its a vest that would technically make it a orange vest.

Not necessarily. Some IC's might not allow them, and they have that authority.

Now an FLC made in orange might work, but it would be up to the local IC.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 15, 2008, 09:24:51 PM
Quote from: NCO forever on May 15, 2008, 08:12:49 PM

Not necessarily. Some IC's might not allow them, and they have that authority.

Most IC's never even see the GT's.

Any IC making an issue of the above is not focused where they need to be.  Individual member equipment is
the responsibility of the GTL and GBD.

"That Others May Zoom"

isuhawkeye

As an IC I know that I let the GBD, and GTL's manage their people. 

However I occasionally found teams with orange arm bands.  I do not find that acceptable, and I told them to get a vest before they got deployed.

We keep a duffle bag full of vests for just such a need

Hawk200

Quote from: isuhawkeye on May 19, 2008, 06:29:39 PMWe keep a duffle bag full of vests for just such a need

Things that make you go "hmm".

As in "Hmm, I think I'll may just fill a duffle full of orange vests for the same reason".

Good idea.

isuhawkeye

make sure you mark them, and keep an inventory or else they will walk away

MSgt Van

Here's the one I use.  Adjustable snug fit; I like it.  Enough room to pack my Jetboil burner, cup and coffee...you know; the essentials.

http://www.searchgear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=177

notaNCO forever

I'd get it if it had enough room to fit all my 24 hour gear in it.