Post your dream gear-setup here!

Started by Equinox, August 25, 2012, 02:09:16 AM

Equinox

My dream gear-setup...

24HR GEAR

72HR GEAR

Now if only I could find these in Multicam...   :o
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

Eclipse

Are you planning on carrying 12 cell phones?

"That Others May Zoom"

Equinox

:o Nooooooooooop! 

Just a compass, duct tape, Paracord, TP, Notepad, Glowstick, Matches, Flashlight, Knife etc.    8)

AngelWings

Quote from: Equinox on August 25, 2012, 02:14:22 AM
:o Nooooooooooop! 

Just a compass, duct tape, Paracord, TP, Notepad, Glowstick, Matches, Flashlight, Knife etc.    8)
I think you'd be jealous of my Tactical Tailor MOLLE set up!

Equinox

NC Hokie

Quote from: Equinox on August 25, 2012, 02:09:16 AM
My dream gear-setup...
72HR GEAR

Wow, you must have really small base gear (tent, sleeping bag, spare uniform, etc.)!
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Equinox

Yup, just a tarp, ground pad, and sleeping bag, among a few small miscellaneous items...

Now enough about me!! What about you guys?!

AngelWings

Minus light weights, M-40 Gas Mask, PASGT Helmet (unless I need a hard hat, the helmet was 20 bucks, I'm not going to argue the price for gear I probably won't use), but keep everything else. Again, I collect miltaria, so I use some collectibles for gear.

Garibaldi

I have all I need:
large ALICE
3-piece modular sleep system
web gear
small tactical pack that fits inside the ALICE
2 Camelbacks, one 32oz, 1 100oz
PASGT helmet

Granted, if I wear all of it at the same time, I will fall over but every thing I need is in my trunk.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: Equinox on August 25, 2012, 02:24:58 AM
Yup, just a tarp, ground pad, and sleeping bag, among a few small miscellaneous items...

A tarp and a ground pad sounds great on paper and won't cut it for most CAP missions, and your vest is going to be a huge PITA
getting in and out of vehicles, not to mention you can't even bed over while you're wearing it.

There's about 20 threads on vests and gear here, check those out.

"That Others May Zoom"

Equinox

Quote from: AngelWings on August 25, 2012, 02:28:58 AMMinus light weights, M-40 Gas Mask, PASGT Helmet (unless I need a hard hat, the helmet was 20 bucks, I'm not going to argue the price for gear I probably won't use), but keep everything else. Again, I collect miltaria, so I use some collectibles for gear.

Wow.  :clap:

AngelWings

And to add, the vest is really good for me. I am CERT, GES, MSA, and working on my UDF, so I sit down a lot inside vans. The vest allows me to carry everything I need for my 24. It is my dream set up, but I do want to get a FLC only because it has more space and allows me to put things on my back (like Canteens). The MOLLE II Assault pack is great to carry 72 hour and 24 hour things I physically need on me at all times. I carry everything else in a Flight Kit Bag that given to me, like tents, sleeping bags, sleepings bads, etc.

Quote from: Equinox on August 25, 2012, 02:35:12 AM
Quote from: AngelWings on August 25, 2012, 02:28:58 AMMinus light weights, M-40 Gas Mask, PASGT Helmet (unless I need a hard hat, the helmet was 20 bucks, I'm not going to argue the price for gear I probably won't use), but keep everything else. Again, I collect miltaria, so I use some collectibles for gear.

Wow.  :clap:
I thought you'd like it  :) You can get the pack for $30, a FLC (similar to this, with basically the same amount of space as my tactical tailor vest which is discontinued) for $7, and assorted MOLLE pouches for around $40-$60 depending on what you get. My vest was a full MOLLE kit, including the pouches, and was a free snag. It runs for around $70 plus the price of pouches. I recommend getting different pouches than tactical tailor, they're a PITA to put on the vest (because you have to weave the plastic straps through the MOLLE webbing), plus you could get them cheaper for about the same quality.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/vests-armor/modular/mav-body-1-piece

PA Guy

Is there a big need in Grnd Ops for camo, protective masks and PASGTs?

AngelWings

Quote from: PA Guy on August 25, 2012, 02:52:44 AM
Is there a big need in Grnd Ops for camo, protective masks and PASGTs?
Reading is critical. It's all gear that was either free or from militaria collection. It looks uniform anyways. Is there a need for me to go out and waste money on expensive flamboyant/reflective SAR gear? The helmet is from my collection (and I said I don't really use it), the vest was free, the pack was from my collection, and I already said the M-40 gas mask wasn't used for the gear. I don't have too much money, and the gear was a real steal for me.

PA Guy

You just keep telling yourself that.  My critical reading skills are just fine.  Based on my experience as a GTL  CAP Grnd Ops is not about looking like Ricky Recon.

AngelWings

You let me know when you are going to buy my a whole new SAR kit that meets you specific preferences. I'll even give you my address if you want. I'll even send you my parents bills, because you wouldn't believe, my household is IN DEBT. The gear was free or cheap, and the last thing I want to do is to buy a LL Bean pack that's too small to hold much of the 24 or to go out and buy myself a bunch of gear that meets your standards. I'm no Ranger Rick, I'm poor.

Eclipse

There's nothing wrong with your gear and no reason to have to defend it - it's typical of 90% of what people are using and plenty adequate for the job.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on August 25, 2012, 03:25:29 AM
There's nothing wrong with your gear and no reason to have to defend it - it's typical of 90% of what people are using and plenty adequate for the job.
I apologize if I seem like I am defending it. I am more of taking offense that people expect me to buy a bunch of expensive stuff that I cannot afford, and it hurts because money is so tight for me and my family right now.

Equinox

Quote from: Eclipse on August 25, 2012, 03:25:29 AM

Now if only it came in Multicam...   ;)

Stonewall

Standard LBE with modifications....

I use a standard large ALICE pack with a few modifications that I made in 1992 (yes, I still use that pack).  But I often substitute it with the CFP-90 when I carry a fart sack sleeping bag.  I really appreciate the CFP-90's bottom entry compartment for the sleeping bag.  The detachable day pack is useful too.

Serving since 1987.

jhsmith400

Give the kid a break so what if his picture has his "K-pot" in it, like any of us hasn't either had one or a steel pot(depending on vintage) or thought about getting one.  As I've said about cadets (and seniors) who have them, and sometimes want to take them with them, do it once and you'll never do it again, unless you really really need it(they are alot of weight to carry without a need).  As for the gas mask... a day or two in the field eating beans and MREs then being stuck in a van with a bunch of teens, a gas mask isn't really all that bad an idea.

Garibaldi

Quote from: jhsmith400 on August 26, 2012, 03:39:01 PM
Give the kid a break so what if his picture has his "K-pot" in it, like any of us hasn't either had one or a steel pot(depending on vintage) or thought about getting one.  As I've said about cadets (and seniors) who have them, and sometimes want to take them with them, do it once and you'll never do it again, unless you really really need it(they are alot of weight to carry without a need).  As for the gas mask... a day or two in the field eating beans and MREs then being stuck in a van with a bunch of teens, a gas mask isn't really all that bad an idea.

Bahahaha! Reminds me of a SAREX back in the 90's. We'd eaten breakfast at some mom-n-pop joint in central Wisconsin prior to assignment. It didn't settle well with me and...well, long story short, I know how to clear out a van full of cadets in less than 5 seconds.

I use my airsoft pot on local training whenever we go into the woods. I've been hit in the head way too many times by wayward branches and other things. We used to have real steel pots back in the 80s for nearly the same reason on our squadron FTXs. I'd strap mine on the top of my ALICE pack when I wasn't using it. I also have a hard-hat that I got from my days at AT&T. It has a reflective band around it.

My head isn't what it used to be but darned if I won't protect it.

manfredvonrichthofen

Blackhawk assault vest, for my 24, it would really sustained me for 48, and a molle Ruck for my 72. I use the modular sleep sysystem and a poncho for my tent, has worked for me since I was 13. And I can carry it on my vest. So in the summer I am good for an over night with just my vest. No helmet, if I really really need one flexible some strange reason, I'll consider getting one, but I have worn one long enough.

Stonewall

Here I am in 1993 at Ft. Belvoir, VA with my "dream gear" which I still  used today.  Notice the CFP-90 ruck to the left along with the Gore-tex bivvy covered with a poncho lean-to.
Serving since 1987.

PA Guy

It goes to professionalism when interacting with other SAR agencies.  If you think a hardhat is needed then wear a hardhat not a steel pot or K pot.

cap235629

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 26, 2012, 04:33:34 PM

Bahahaha! Reminds me of a SAREX back in the 90's. We'd eaten breakfast at some mom-n-pop joint in central Wisconsin prior to assignment. It didn't settle well with me and...well, long story short, I know how to clear out a van full of cadets in less than 5 seconds.

I use my airsoft pot on local training whenever we go into the woods. I've been hit in the head way too many times by wayward branches and other things. We used to have real steel pots back in the 80s for nearly the same reason on our squadron FTXs. I'd strap mine on the top of my ALICE pack when I wasn't using it. I also have a hard-hat that I got from my days at AT&T. It has a reflective band around it.

My head isn't what it used to be but darned if I won't protect it.

So do the prudent thing and spend 10 bucks on an orange hardhat at the hardware store and look like an asset rather than a tool.....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Walkman

My dream gear is a ANSI spec orange MOLLE vest with detachable rear pack (hydration bladder included). There are some nice pieces of similar kit out there, but I can't afford them right now, hence the word "dream".

RogueLeader

Quote from: PA Guy on August 25, 2012, 03:06:38 AM
You just keep telling yourself that.  My critical reading skills are just fine.  Based on my experience as a GTL  CAP Grnd Ops is not about looking like Ricky Recon.

Based on MY experience as a GTL, ground ops is looking and being comfortable with the gear you have.  I just happen to have military gear as it was cheap or free.  It also happens to do double duty, other than just CAP.  So it saves $$$.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Quote from: PA Guy on August 27, 2012, 03:51:03 AM

It goes to professionalism when interacting with other SAR agencies.  If you think a hardhat is needed then wear a hardhat not a steel pot or K pot.

He also mentioned that the k-pot and pro mask aren't used for CAP, but for the other side of double duty.  Now I would be concerned if he was wearing said pro mask at a sarex/sareval/mission.  To get upset of it in a picture? ??? Really????
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AngelWings

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 27, 2012, 10:23:46 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on August 27, 2012, 03:51:03 AM

He also mentioned that the k-pot and pro mask aren't used for CAP, but for the other side of double duty.  Now I would be concerned if he was wearing said pro mask at a sarex/sareval/mission.  To get upset of it in a picture? ??? Really????
Exactly. The picture itself was from me taking a picture to show to a collector bud who wanted to see some of the gear I got in the past few months. Gear meaning any wearable equipment.

Garibaldi

If anyone thinks for a moment that my K-pot is worn anywhere outside a squadron training exercise, please. I have more sense than that. Otherwise I'd bring my airsoft rifle and use it as part of color guard.  >:D

jhsmith400

Man you all take yourselves way way too seriously, I only meant the comment about the gas-mask as a joke(I guess  only one got it), and the K-pot comment is true I've know kids to wear helmets as field gear ONCE, as they are heavy.  So don't get so defensive about your picture, as yes I did read the part about it being part of your collection, and duh I'm aware of what cuts a professional look.

Equinox

vento

Quote from: Equinox on September 06, 2012, 11:38:36 AM
Ok, new Dream Gear....

Finally, a gear to keep all my candy bars and Starbucks Via packs neatly organized and readily accessible!  >:D

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Equinox

Equinox

Garibaldi

Quote from: vento on September 07, 2012, 02:07:54 AM
Quote from: Equinox on September 06, 2012, 11:38:36 AM
Ok, new Dream Gear....

Finally, a gear to keep all my candy bars and Starbucks Via packs neatly organized and readily accessible!  >:D

It really looks like an urban assault diaper changing station vest.

A.Member

???   I don't get it.

I've participated in quite a few SAR(EX)s over the years, although most admittedly were as aircrew.   I cannot recall a single situation that would require anyone to have ridiculously giant vests like those posted here.  As a general statement, there should be one med. pack shared among the team.  Aside from that, a camelback, radio (not everyone), and maybe a protein bar or two is all a GTM really needs.   The rest of the misc stuff (maps, compass) can fit in pouches/pockets on the BDUs or camelback (depending on model).  What would you possibly put in those pouches?   More than a bit impractical.

Someone help me out here?! 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Майор Хаткевич

Walking around for miles with stuff in your pockets sucks.

A.Member

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 16, 2012, 07:51:56 PM
What stuff?  As I pointed out, there's really not much to carry.  Unless you guys do things very differently than us, you spend half the time in the van and are never all that far from it.  There are infrantry guys that don't wear as much gear as I see here sometimes.

Ultimately, if someone wants to wear something like that, it's really no skin off my back so I don't care that much.  I just don't understand the need, especially if they complain about spending extra money on gear.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

jeders

Quote from: A.Member on October 16, 2012, 08:04:33 PM
What stuff?  As I pointed out, there's really not much to carry.  Unless you guys do things very differently than us, you spend half the time in the van and are never all that far from it.  There are infrantry guys that don't wear as much gear as I see here sometimes.

Ultimately, if someone wants to wear something like that, it's really no skin off my back so I don't care that much.  I just don't understand the need, especially if they complain about spending extra money on gear.

I have this sneaking feeling that you've never been on an actual Ground Team mission (DF'ing a signal on a flight line is not a GT mission). If you can tell me how I'm supposed to be able to fit everything on the GT equipment list into my pockets, I'd love to hear it. Vests are bulky and annoying when you have to mount/dismount vehicles; they are wonderful when you are walking for miles through rough terrain because there are no usable roads on the 250,000 acre ranch that you are looking for an aircraft on.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

A.Member

Quote from: jeders on October 16, 2012, 08:17:24 PM
Quote from: A.Member on October 16, 2012, 08:04:33 PM

I have this sneaking feeling that you've never been on an actual Ground Team mission (DF'ing a signal on a flight line is not a GT mission).
You'd be wrong. :)   Although, as I said, I do spend almost all my time in the airplane now.

Quote from: jeders on October 16, 2012, 08:17:24 PMIf you can tell me how I'm supposed to be able to fit everything on the GT equipment list into my pockets, I'd love to hear it. Vests are bulky and annoying when you have to mount/dismount vehicles; they are wonderful when you are walking for miles through rough terrain because there are no usable roads on the 250,000 acre ranch that you are looking for an aircraft on.
I did not suggest no pack.  Certainly a small pack (like those typically integrated with a camelback) is beneficial.  My question was really around wearing a large pack like those shown here.  It would be significanlty much more cumbersome when moving through thick vegetation/difficult terrain; more things to get snared on (and I moved through some very dense woods.  This is even more true with some of the gypsy packs I've seen.   

Like I said, if someone wants to carry these monsters around, so be it.  I just don't see us needing to carry anywhere close to enough gear to justify it.  What are you filling with it?  Anything of real benefit?  Just curious.

Eclipse

Quote from: A.Member on October 16, 2012, 07:39:36 PMAs a general statement, there should be one med. pack shared among the team.
As a matter of requirement there should be one med pack (First Aid Kit) per person.   

Quote from: A.Member on October 16, 2012, 07:39:36 PM
Aside from that, a camelback, radio (not everyone),
A well-equipped GT has each member with an ISR, and at least one with a VHF-HT and an ISR - this is how the teams communicate, you know "inter-squad".

and maybe a protein bar or two is all a GTM really needs.
A GTM needs at least one meal.
The rest of the misc stuff (maps, compass) can fit in pouches/pockets on the BDUs or camelback (depending on model).  What would you possibly put in those pouches?   More than a bit impractical.
The required equipment as specified by the task guide, which is also supposed to be carried on your person.

The intention with a GT is that all members are self-sustaining and not a mission burden in the field for at least 24 hours. Perhaps the term "24-hour gear" rings a bell?  This is for both mission effectiveness (i.e send them out in the AM and work until sunset), and safety (i.e. you're lost in the woods or DR and need to put up for the night.  I can't tell you how many times missions, both real and training, have been adversely effected by GTMs who "knew better" and were caught without a key piece of equipment, or without lunch.

I agree that a lot of our members, especially cadets, are a investing far too much in molle vests, etc., you have to put the stuff somewhere, and
the fact that you don't think you'll need it, doesn't relieve the requirement to carry it.  Being a hour's drive from civilization at sunset and
watching as your vehicle slides backwards over a hill, is not the time to realize you should have been carrying your stuff, instead of leaving it
in the van, which is now at the bottom of a ravine.

GTM's are not supposed to leave the base without the full 24-hour kit, inspected by their GTL and cross-checked by the a/GBDs.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on October 16, 2012, 08:40:24 PM
The intention with a GT is that all members are self-sustaining and not a mission burden in the field for at least 24 hours. Perhaps the term "24-hour gear" rings a bell?  This is for both mission effectiveness (i.e send them out in the AM and work until sunset), and safety (i.e. you're lost in the woods or DR and need to put up for the night.

I agree that a lot of our members, especially cadets, are a investing far too much in molle vests, etc., you have to put the stuff somewhere, and
the fact that you don't think you'll need it, doesn't relieve the requirement to carry it.  Being a hour's drive from civilization at sunset and
watching as your vehicle slides backwards over a hill, is not the time to realize you should have been carrying your stuff, instead of leaving it
in the van, which is now at the bottom of a ravine.

GTM's are not supposed to leave the base without the full 24-hour kit, inspected by their GTL and cross-checked by the a/GBDs.
Understood about the theory.  In today's world and in practical application, when was the last time you were ever on a mission that was anywhere close to that was truly required?  Unless things have changed in the past several years (and they may've) I'm not aware of any hard list or "required" 24-hour pack items; there is a guide for items that could/should be included in a pack but it may vary by Wing, etc. 

I didn't intend to get too off-topic with this discussion.  I'm certainly no expert on ground team requirements and I understand some of you eat and dream this stuff.   But I've spent a week in the woods and probably carried less than some of our members are carrying ina 24-hour pack.  It's just my observation that these extra large ammo vests and such just strike me as very odd for what I've seen as our actual mission needs; I can't understand why they'd be needed. 

isuhawkeye

Even if you discount the equipment outlined in the SQTR I would not travel in the outdoors much without the ten essentials.  To me these items are the base line for even a simple day hike.

http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/Assets/ClientPages/zz_TenEssentials.aspx

YMMV

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Equinox on August 25, 2012, 02:09:16 AM
Now if only I could find these in Multicam...   :o
Unless you're double slotting your equipment with the Army side, it's really not necessary. I've obtained gear pretty inexpensively by going for less popular colors, many of which would clash with the local environment. If you want something military looking, the brown colors (some call it "coyote," others "dark earth," others call it something else) would be just fine.

When it comes to gear, I stencil anything large enough to carry my name. Most of the time, it keeps it yours.

Walkman

Quote from: A.Member on October 16, 2012, 10:10:57 PM
I'm not aware of any hard list or "required" 24-hour pack items; there is a guide for items that could/should be included in a pack but it may vary by Wing, etc. 

...I'm certainly no expert on ground team requirements and I understand some of you eat and dream this stuff.

From the Ground & UDF Team Rask Guide:
Quote2. The gear list below is the minimum required equipment. Items required of trainees are marked with a "T. You may carry additional equipment subject to team leader approval and your ability to secure and carry it -- remember, you may have to walk a long way carrying it all.

The 24 hour gear list the minimm required. Yes, it's can be a bit much for a 4 hour sortie, but it is required. A GTL is required to do a bag drag before the team deploys.

bflynn

Quote from: Walkman on October 17, 2012, 08:35:09 PM
A GTL is required to do a bag drag before the team deploys.

Really?  I just read through the GTL handbook and there was no mention that they must have everyone lay out their gear for an inspection prior to departure on a mission.

Wouldn't that take...hours to complete?

RogueLeader

Quote from: bflynn on October 17, 2012, 09:40:13 PM
Quote from: Walkman on October 17, 2012, 08:35:09 PM
A GTL is required to do a bag drag before the team deploys.

Really?  I just read through the GTL handbook and there was no mention that they must have everyone lay out their gear for an inspection prior to departure on a mission.

Wouldn't that take...hours to complete?

Nope. about 20-30 min if everybody has all of their stuff straight.  if that.  If you have people unprepared, unfamiliar with their own gear that they packed, yes it can take a very long time.

Task O-0005: Inspect Team Members.
That is the second active task under Advanced Training.  (I'm not counting the ICS Classes for this discussion.)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Equinox

So I'm expecting this in tomorrow's mail.

bflynn

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 17, 2012, 09:49:27 PM

That is the second active task under Advanced Training.  (I'm not counting the ICS Classes for this discussion.)

Ok, that explains it - you're talking about a SQTR task.  I was reading the handbook about what to do when you perform.

That you're required to do an inspection for the training does not imply you must do it before you leave on a mission.  When it's time to work,  you don't waste time doing inspections.  If you want to inspect, then do an inspection when it isn't go time.

68w20

Quote from: bflynn on October 20, 2012, 02:49:26 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on October 17, 2012, 09:49:27 PM

Ok, that explains it - you're talking about a SQTR task.  I was reading the handbook about what to do when you perform.

That you're required to do an inspection for the training does not imply you must do it before you leave on a mission.  When it's time to work,  you don't waste time doing inspections.  If you want to inspect, then do an inspection when it isn't go time.

By that logic we're not required to do line searches, actions on a find, or field sanitation "by the book."  It's all just training after all.

The gear inspection is a critical part of mission prep.  It doesn't have to be an all-out, lay out every item in your gear, hour-long ordeal.  It can be as simple as having members check their own gear as they arrive at the staging point, then be cross-checked by GTL.  What matters is that you're taking the time to verify that all essential equipment is on-site and that all GTMs are prepared.  I'd rather spend 15-20 minutes engaging and checking the gear of my GTMs and know for a fact that they have all necessary gear before driving off to begin a search.

manfredvonrichthofen

The Infantry having been brought up, allow me to make a clarification, even the Infantry does an inspection with every mission, EVERY mission, because it's easy to forget the little things like batteries, or spare chemlights, or spare batteries. It even happens that something that worked 30 minutes ago doesn't work now. Stuff happens, and it needs to be checked out every time you move out. If you aren't performing inspections before every mission, and I'm not talking a full layout every mission, just the stuff that gets used alot, and the stuff that is pertinent to the current mission. Does everyone have enough batteries, does every one have a working flashlight, do you have the elper,  does it work, do you have a litter, if you have a large medkit, does someone have it? These are the items that need to be checked. If you don't check, and it's not there and working, or fully stocked, then it is your fault as the team leader and it is your fault that your team is ineffective. And if you expect to stay around the van at all times, then you are training wrong, and you are already mission ineffective, and you are ahhindrance to the mission.

Garibaldi

Me: "OK. Everyone, put your gear on. Get with your battle buddy and check to make sure you both have water and food."

Team member: "What if we don't have food?"

Me: "There's a box of MREs upstairs in the ES office. Grab one."

Another team member: "Grab one for me too!"

Me: "Water? Faucet in the kitchen. Go."

Yet another team member: "My batteries in my flashlight are dead."

Battle buddy: "You can have mine. I have more."

Me: "Check for your battle buddy's CAPID, 101, and CAPF 60"

Third team member: "Where can I get a CAPF 60?"

Me: "Admin office, top drawer. Grab a couple. If there's not enough, make copies."

First team member: "Radios?"

Me: "Electronics closet. Grab two bricks and six ISRs. Take your battle buddy and get the Lper as well. Don't forget to sign out for this stuff!"

Second team member: "I got orange vests!"

Me: "OK, we all set? Let's get in the van! Put your gear on the floor under your seat and make sure all the ISRs and Lper are working."

Ten minutes later, we're rolling.

tsrup

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 21, 2012, 05:30:39 AM
Me: "OK. Everyone, put your gear on. Get with your battle buddy and check to make sure you both have water and food."

Team member: "What if we don't have food?"

Me: "There's a box of MREs upstairs in the ES office. Grab one."

Another team member: "Grab one for me too!"

Me: "Water? Faucet in the kitchen. Go."

Yet another team member: "My batteries in my flashlight are dead."

Battle buddy: "You can have mine. I have more."

Me: "Check for your battle buddy's CAPID, 101, and CAPF 60"

Third team member: "Where can I get a CAPF 60?"

Me: "Admin office, top drawer. Grab a couple. If there's not enough, make copies."

First team member: "Radios?"

Me: "Electronics closet. Grab two bricks and six ISRs. Take your battle buddy and get the Lper as well. Don't forget to sign out for this stuff!"

Second team member: "I got orange vests!"

Me: "OK, we all set? Let's get in the van! Put your gear on the floor under your seat and make sure all the ISRs and Lper are working."

Ten minutes later, we're rolling.

20 minutes later:
"Um, I don't have my ID"..
Paramedic
hang-around.

manfredvonrichthofen

That right there tsrup is Why as the team leader I check it. Get into formation, I announce three items at a time and they get itout and I check it as I walk through ghetto formation hands on.

Garibaldi

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 21, 2012, 04:43:30 PM
That right there tsrup is Why as the team leader I check it. Get into formation, I announce three items at a time and they get itout and I check it as I walk through ghetto formation hands on.

Yeah...it was late when I wrote that. I usually make them take it out and hold it up for me to see, usually when the parents arrive to drop them off so they can run home and get it if needed.

cap235629

Battle Buddy???

Seriously?????

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: cap235629 on October 21, 2012, 07:29:48 PM

Battle Buddy???

Seriously?????
battle buddy, wingman, whatever you use. To each his own, stop arguing over the small trash.

cap235629

it is inappropriate.  We are not going in to battle.  Wingman would be better.

This "trash" is a symptom of a bigger problem.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

68w20

Quote from: cap235629 on October 21, 2012, 07:54:33 PM

Which problem is that?

cap235629

We are a non combatant force, we are not in the Army, we do not train for battle, our field operations are humanitarian in nature, cadets think they are "Rangers", more time is spent trying to look and act "tactikewl" than actually becoming proficient in tasks and maintaining that proficiency, the list goes on.....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

68w20

Quote from: cap235629 on October 21, 2012, 11:28:44 PM
We are a non combatant force, we are not in the Army, we do not train for battle, our field operations are humanitarian in nature, cadets think they are "Rangers", more time is spent trying to look and act "tactikewl" than actually becoming proficient in tasks and maintaining that proficiency, the list goes on.....

I agree that this is a common problem, but let's not generalize.  I've seen plenty of Senior Members trying to act the part of special operations forces in an ES setting.  We even had issues with one gentleman who wanted to deploy to Haiti and Japan to help with natural disasters there. 

cap235629

Quote from: 68w10 on October 21, 2012, 11:45:02 PM

I agree that this is a common problem, but let's not generalize.  I've seen plenty of Senior Members trying to act the part of special operations forces in an ES setting.  We even had issues with one gentleman who wanted to deploy to Haiti and Japan to help with natural disasters there.

You just made my point.......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

68w20

Quote from: cap235629 on October 22, 2012, 01:31:06 AM
Quote from: 68w10 on October 21, 2012, 11:45:02 PM

You just made my point.......

Right, because I agree with you.  What I take issue with is you generalizing that only Cadets have this issue.

manfredvonrichthofen

What I take issue with is making a statement to start an argument, when nothing needs to be argued about. It is just a term. Are we fighter pilots? No, so the term wingman doesn't fit either... Maybe the term bestie should be used... Please don't try to the term bestie... It's just wrong... Flat out wrong.

Use a term that is common to your group, if it's battle buddy, fine, if it's wingman, fine, if it's bestie, then there are bigger issues at play.

Train your guys to think big picture, not it's all about looks. And don't use the term elite or ranger, and problem solved. The problem with people thinking in terms of ranger is hrms fault. Its name and tabs need changed.

Garibaldi

This "trash" was a sanctioned term approved by people higher than you and I.

CAP4117

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 22, 2012, 04:03:48 AM
Maybe the term bestie should be used... Please don't try to the term bestie... It's just wrong... Flat out wrong.

"Lieutenant! Where's your BFF?!"  >:D

Equinox

Hey guys, why don't we get back on topic (see title of thread).

cap235629

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 22, 2012, 05:24:27 AM

The Wing Commander has asked that it not be used. You might try to adapt to the way things are done in Arkansas. Incidentally I was speaking of CAP as a whole and did not intend to single you out.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: cap235629 on October 22, 2012, 05:11:14 PM

The Wing Commander has asked that it not be used. You might try to adapt to the way things are done in Arkansas.
The interesting thing about Arkansas wing, is a few of the wing level personnel use the term battle buddy. And I was given no hash when I used it at an Airshow with a lot of wing level persons.

Strick

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 22, 2012, 06:10:00 PM

Who cares if you said battle buddy or Wing Man. If you want to keep saying battle buddy then keep saying it until a regulation or instruction is published saying you cant. Too much nit picking in CAP and not focousing on the real missions. Just dont refer to one as a battle buddy if they are wearing the BBDU >:D.
The Wing Commander has asked that it not be used. You might try to adapt to the way things are done in Arkansas.
The interesting thing about Arkansas wing, is a few of the wing level personnel use the term battle buddy. And I was given no hash when I used it at an Airshow with a lot of wing level persons.
[darn]atio memoriae

bflynn

Quote from: 68w10 on October 20, 2012, 03:01:53 PMThe gear inspection is a critical part of mission prep. 

What you described is not an equipment inspection.  At best is a checklist of the 10 most critical items.

And I think you still missed my emphasis - I've offered no comment about whether or not an equipment inspection is a good idea, but a "bag drag" is not a required task when you're trying to get out the door to do a mission.  You do it monthly or semi-annually and make sure that it's right.  You do it a week after any field exercise so that you can check that expendables get replaced.  You do it when it isn't go time.

If a team member, including myself, isn't responsible enough to keep their gear ready, then are they responsible enough to go on a mission? 

I'm a mission scanner - my MS and AP gear is mostly together and what isn't, I know where it is (my laptop for example).  I keep a checklist so I don't forget.  If I do miss something, I change my checklist so it isn't missed again - that's one of the reasons we train.

BTW - in the interest of the original topic of the thread, my preferred gear is just 20+ year old Alice gear.  It's inexpensive and it's easy to add to the web belt.  Light items can go in pockets, but as someone said higher up, you don't want to be carrying a lot in your pockets.  It's like flying gear, why would you want to spend a lot of money on something when a $5 worth of stuff from office max works just as effectively.

I don't have a picture of it, but it's very similar to one that was posted above.  Currently I have two canteens worn on the back corners with 4 ammo pouches in front of them.  I use a headlamp now that comes with green/red/white LEDs and carry two other white flashlights with me.

Garibaldi

The last thing I'll say about it. Whatever you want to call it, each and every member needs to have a partner to watch their back. That goes for seniors as well. I did not intend to start a (expletive deleted)-storm with my scenario. This just proves that regardless of where we're from, things are so different they're the same, regardless of the name. We all do the same missions, have the same guidelines, and whatever term you use, whether it be wanna-be, tak-ti-kewl, or functionally appropriate for said partners, great, fine, whatever. Our term "battle-buddy" was started at an encampment, and was used freely among cadets and seniors there and it spread to home units. Whether Wing approves or sanctions it, or if they just wink and let it slide, is not my concern. Until we hear otherwise from someone farther up the food chain that they find the term objectionable, in the form of an official memo, we're probably going to keep using it, whatever objections you may have regarding the term.

Back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 22, 2012, 07:46:07 PM

The last thing I'll say about it. Whatever you want to call it, each and every member needs to have a partner to watch their back. That goes for seniors as well. I did not intend to start a (expletive deleted)-storm with my scenario. This just proves that regardless of where we're from, things are so different they're the same, regardless of the name. We all do the same missions, have the same guidelines, and whatever term you use, whether it be wanna-be, tak-ti-kewl, or functionally appropriate for said partners, great, fine, whatever. Our term "battle-buddy" was started at an encampment, and was used freely among cadets and seniors there and it spread to home units. Whether Wing approves or sanctions it, or if they just wink and let it slide, is not my concern. Until we hear otherwise from someone farther up the food chain that they find the term objectionable, in the form of an official memo, we're probably going to keep using it, whatever objections you may have regarding the term.

FYI I have been in ARWG for just over half this century so far and have really no issues with adapting to the way things are done here. Just sayin'. ;D

Back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Stupid buttons that look the same...geez. I need better glasses.

AngelWings

The true problem with CAP is that we argue over the stupidest things ever! Who cares what you call someone who assigned or voluntary with another person? Call them what you will and carry on.

tsrup

Quote from: AngelWings on October 23, 2012, 12:23:09 AM
The true problem with CAP is that we argue over the dumbest things ever! Who cares what you call someone who assigned or voluntary with another person? Call them what you will and carry on.

FTFY
Paramedic
hang-around.

NM SAR

"dream" gear? I demand an antigravity generator for my pack.

Oh, you mean physically possible? well, what I have now, actually. high-end mountaineering pack and a small PALS vest for essentials.

Sergeant Langley

Here is my set up. The tactical vest is pretty good. I took it to a SAREX and it was just fine. If I want a backpack I have ILBE Gear. It works like a charm. For the ILBE gear I have a radio POUCH and some other IFAK medic pouches to hold extra equipment. The tactical vest is mainly for udf but can be used for ground team. I primarily use the ILBE gear as it holds more and is more ideal for the woods.

Austin Langley C/MSGT, CAP

Devil Doc

I just wish I had Set-Up Gear  :(. All I have is an Black Guard Belt with a Med Pack Thigh Rig. A Walmart Camel Back, and an Old Bookbag with a hole on the top sleeve to slide in my camel back :(

If anyone is willing to Donate old gear to this Broke Vet, it would be truley obliged :)
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Sergeant Langley

If you are looking for gear check Ebay. I got a lot of cheap IFAK medical pouches. Go to Amazon and you can get a MOLLE vest for $50. It may sound like a lot but it has internal pockets and a camel back slot. ILBE gear can be purchased through Army surplus stores. If you look around you can find great deals on amazing products. Talk to your squadron if you have logistics and they may have some stuff.
Austin Langley C/MSGT, CAP

Devil Doc

LOL, I am the Supply Guy in my Unit, the gear we have is used for Squadron Only, and we save it for the cadets who cant afford stuff. I check ebay,amazon, and army navy store im broke lol.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

TarRiverRat

I want this.  It has everything you will ever need.  The 1966 Batman Utility Belt.  No shark repellant.  You have to get that from the Batcopter.

Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057