boots on sarex or live mission

Started by shoresfinest, January 16, 2012, 06:48:25 AM

shoresfinest

do i have to wear my black reg boots if my sage gren altama's are much more comfortable and suited for the task?

Sapper168

Quote from: shoresfinest on January 16, 2012, 06:48:25 AM
do i have to wear my black reg boots if my sage gren altama's are much more comfortable and suited for the task?

Right.........
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

shoresfinest

so am i allowed to go with the more convenient option?

abdsp51

shoresfinest

yes really cuz i have conflicting arguements coming from 2 sr members in my squadron

abdsp51

Check with your CC not seeing anything anywhere about sage boots even being authorized.  Someone else here may have an idea.

shoresfinest

its not a matter of authorization.....im talkin about when ur out in the field like i was on standby ready to go when irene hit and i live on the shore
does it matter if its live

abdsp51

Sorry but without anything in writing I wouldn't consider it field or not.  And having worn both materials in the field depending on the location suede is not the best for field work. 

Extremepredjudice

Suede boots aren't authorized.

Just save up and buy better black boots.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

niferous

No you can't. There is the simple answer.
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Eclipse

Quote from: shoresfinest on January 16, 2012, 08:28:17 AM
its not a matter of authorization.....

Yes, it is.  Our uniform doesn't change with the mission. 

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Pineys are a bit stubborn.  ;)   {Former member of 29096.}
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cpyahoo

Can't really speak for your situation.  On my ground team, I let my cadets wear practical footwear such as hiking boots on missions and during training.  It helps avoid messing up their good combat boots that they wear for regualr meetings and inspections.  I don't get too wrapped up in regulations when we're out in the woods getting crapped up in the mud and weather.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: cpyahoo on January 19, 2012, 01:52:26 AM
Can't really speak for your situation.  On my ground team, I let my cadets wear practical footwear such as hiking boots on missions and during training.  It helps avoid messing up their good combat boots that they wear for regualr meetings and inspections.  I don't get too wrapped up in regulations when we're out in the woods getting crapped up in the mud and weather.

Who says they can't have two pairs of boots?

Full disclosure: I'm a little more lenient on this topic in the winter (a couple of my GTMs have Thinsulate hunting boots). I'll take my 10 lashings with cpyahoo now.

JK657

Of course you can wear them.... with your ABUs............... >:D

SSGT FAY

Sorry but black boot only no Sage boots  wear with Abu uniform only on active duty guard or reserve status not at cap unless acting in official USAF duty as per USAF afi and cap regs which if ur not a liaison of USAF to cap then forget it

Point blank and period end of discussion

Shawn c "leprechaun" Fay
Ssgt, USAF-ANG 123mxs/mxmp
2a651-aerospace propulsion mechanic

shoresfinest

Quote from: JK657 on January 20, 2012, 09:08:36 AM

why thanks you i'll wear them in JROTC hahaha see we already got them

SSGT FAY

Quote from: shoresfinest on January 20, 2012, 08:52:17 PM
Quote from: JK657 on January 20, 2012, 09:08:36 AM

why thanks you i'll wear them in JROTC hahaha see we already got them

If I remember correctly afjrotc don't wear Abu yet but then again I haven't been in afjrotc since 2003 but if your af jrotc det cc has infact been given perrmission to wear ABUs then by all means wear your sage boots with ABUs but black boots aren't authorized to be worn with ABUs and sage not authorized for BDUs
Shawn c "leprechaun" Fay

lordmonar

You know....I don't think the USAF even really cares too much about what AFROTC and AFJROTC are doing.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SSGT FAY

Shawn c "leprechaun" Fay

shoresfinest

just had a sarex about a month ago....gtl approved due to the nature of the mission

Eclipse

Approved what?  GTL's don't have special powers to change uniform regs "due to the nature of the mission".

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: shoresfinest on February 19, 2012, 06:13:19 PM
just had a sarex about a month ago....gtl approved due to the nature of the mission

I can't think of a single reason to not wear regulation boots. What was so special that your GTL and you violated 39-1?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

Nature of the mission. LOL. Some of the things that come through keyboards these days..

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on February 19, 2012, 08:19:00 PM
Nature of the mission. LOL. Some of the things that come through keyboards these days..

If he says weather, I'll come unglued. It get's far, far colder here then it ever could get in NJ. It usually snows more here too.

Lot's of walking? BS. I've spent many a day on flightline in regulation boots. If your feet hurt get insoles or better yet, proper boots.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spaceman3750

Quote from: davidsinn on February 19, 2012, 08:30:21 PM
Quote from: a2capt on February 19, 2012, 08:19:00 PM

If he says weather, I'll come unglued. It get's far, far colder here then it ever could get in NJ. It usually snows more here too.

Truer Words...

I can't figure out how to embed it like others have... Apparently it does it automatically... Cool!

Turbine 33

This questions seems to be simple to me. Sounds like you want to wear your sage boots to "show off" you know what's up with the AF and that you're in afjrotc. a classic case of "I want people to know I know about the real AF."

A Airman would adhere to regulations regardless of disagreement.
1st Lieutenant
Group 1 ES Ofifcer
Communications Officer
Jefferson 55

Jefferson 133

manfredvonrichthofen

The simplest answer I can think of is this:

CAPM39-1 states that black boots must be worn the the BDU uniform. So, get a second pair of boots for field work. They aren't that expensive, mine cost me about $30 at Walmart. Yes even Walmart carries good field boots, so good in fact I have two pair of the same boots. They are Bhrama and they look nice and are very comfortable, not to mention they shine really easily.

Besides, I have worn plenty of suede boots, and I went through more of them wearing the ACU than I want through wearing BDUs and black boots, and I wore BDUs a lot longer than ACUs. The black boots are very water resistant almost proof if you use kiwi the right way. Where as suede allows so much water and filth in them that if you let them soak up really nasty water, they will literally grow mushrooms.

bflynn

The official, regulation bound answer is that black boots are the only authorized footwear.

If you wear green boots, does it help you accomplish the mission better?

If so, then your leadership is making a decision between getting the mission done better and following the rules.  Which one they pick says a lot about them...

Personally, I don't care, but you don't work for me.

Quote from: Turbine 33 on March 13, 2012, 01:24:49 PMSounds like you want to wear your sage boots to "show off"

The assumption that people are showing off is a dangerous one.  It causes resentment and impacts unit cohesiveness.  It is unfortunate that so many people jump to conclusions like this.

From my experience, there is far less of a problem with people "showing off" than there is caused by accusations of showing off.

davidsinn

Quote from: bflynn on March 13, 2012, 04:06:00 PM
The official, regulation bound answer is that black boots are the only authorized footwear.

If you wear green boots, does it help you accomplish the mission better?

If so, then your leadership is making a decision between getting the mission done better and following the rules.  Which one they pick says a lot about them...

Personally, I don't care, but you don't work for me.

Quote from: Turbine 33 on March 13, 2012, 01:24:49 PMSounds like you want to wear your sage boots to "show off"

The assumption that people are showing off is a dangerous one.  It causes resentment and impacts unit cohesiveness.  It is unfortunate that so many people jump to conclusions like this.

From my experience, there is far less of a problem with people "showing off" than there is caused by accusations of showing off.

There is not a single way a green boot could accomplish the mission better than a black boot. Not one. As a matter of fact it has already been pointed out that black boots are better in some ways.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

bflynn

I'd disagree that there's never a situation.  This comes from my actual experience in the distant past when I was in ROTC many years ago.

My black boots were shined, high glossed and looked sharp.  I worked hard on them and they looked good, almost better than my dress shoes.  The command highly desired that we have highly shined boots at all times.

I also had a green pair of "jump boots" that I wore personally when I went hiking or just generally working outside.  I liked them because they were lighter than the black official army boot and they worked for me.

When we went to the field, I was told to wear the green boots for field exercises because if I wore my black ones, I'd be too careful with them.  I'd avoid doing what had to be done out of caring for my boots.  This was in spite fo the fact that the only boot authorized for the uniform was the black boot.

Could I get another pair of black ones?  Sure, today I could without thinking about it.  But then, as a starving college student, $40 was a whole lot of money and I didn't have it.

So in that situation - which was better, the green field boots I had, my dress boots or not going?

Sometimes you just have to accept people as they are, as long as they get the job done for you.

EMT-83

Quote from: bflynn on March 13, 2012, 07:45:28 PMSo in that situation - which was better, the green field boots I had, my dress boots or not going?

Let's see, you refused to wear the proper uniform because you didn't want to get your boots dirty.

I would go with option number three.

Eclipse

Quote from: bflynn on March 13, 2012, 07:45:28 PMSo in that situation - which was better, the green field boots I had, my dress boots or not going?

Either wear the correct boots, or don't go.

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 13, 2012, 07:54:23 PM

Let's see, you refused to wear the proper uniform because you didn't want to get your boots dirty.

I would go with option number three.

No.  I was ordered to wear my jump boots.  Gasp! you say?  I had great leaders who cared about me, who cared about the mission and not the minutia of the rules.  In the end, the mission was more important than an arbitrary rule.

BTW, you did catch this was Army ROTC and not CAP cadets, right?

So you'd leave someone behind who didn't have the right boots on.  How would you feel if your mission failed because you needed one more person to reach that injured pilot? 

Handle it a better way.

Eclipse

Why not just wear tennis shoes, or galoshes, then?

The reg about which boots to wear is "arbitrary", but your deciding to not obey regulations, because of personal convenience, isn't?

"Field expedience" does not include decisions made at 0900 because you can't be bothered to clean your boots at the end of the day.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: bflynn on March 13, 2012, 07:45:28 PM
I'd disagree that there's never a situation.  This comes from my actual experience in the distant past when I was in ROTC many years ago.

My black boots were shined, high glossed and looked sharp.  I worked hard on them and they looked good, almost better than my dress shoes.  The command highly desired that we have highly shined boots at all times.

I also had a green pair of "jump boots" that I wore personally when I went hiking or just generally working outside.  I liked them because they were lighter than the black official army boot and they worked for me.

When we went to the field, I was told to wear the green boots for field exercises because if I wore my black ones, I'd be too careful with them.  I'd avoid doing what had to be done out of caring for my boots.  This was in spite fo the fact that the only boot authorized for the uniform was the black boot.

Could I get another pair of black ones?  Sure, today I could without thinking about it.  But then, as a starving college student, $40 was a whole lot of money and I didn't have it.

So in that situation - which was better, the green field boots I had, my dress boots or not going?

Sometimes you just have to accept people as they are, as long as they get the job done for you.

This isn't ROTC. CAP is a different arena, with different rules. Follow the rules, or go home.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bflynn

Quote from: SarDragon on March 13, 2012, 09:43:14 PM
This isn't ROTC. CAP is a different arena, with different rules. Follow the rules, or go home.

Yes, of course it is.  But that isn't what the story was about, someone made an assertion that green boots could never be better than black boots.  I gave a story that explained why it could be.

It's important to value rules over people.

Eclipse

Quote from: bflynn on March 13, 2012, 10:20:58 PM
It's important to value rules over people.

Not what this is about, not what your example is about, and not a good analogy.  I guess all the other guys who had to clean their boots,
or just wore their field boots were "misguided" because they followed the regs.

Not everything on this board is about "the bigger picture", where a lone voice in the darkness cries up like Spartacus to get us to all see the light.
Most of it is just about people knowing and following the rules.  People want to be part of a paramilitary organization, then they want to just do their own thing and are surprised when there are consequences.

"That Others May Zoom"

ThatOneGuy

As several people on here have already stated, if it is not in CAPM 39-1, then you cannot wear it. Even if it is related to a mission. As much as a boonie hat would protect you more from the sun than a PC, I wear the PC. Why? Because that it is what is authorized, simple as that. It's called a UNIFORM for a reason you know...
Just my opinion of course.

bflynn

Quote from: Eclipse on March 13, 2012, 10:30:07 PMNot what this is about, not what your example is about, and not a good analogy. 

I'm sorry if you disagree with me, but that's what it was about to me.  You don't get to define my thoughts.

SarDragon

Here's the original post. By its nature, I'm guessing that it applies to the CAP arena.

Your example, as stated and acknowledged, was in the ROTC arena, and a total red wheel, non sequitur.

Regardless of anything else that's been said, green suede boots are not authorized in CAP. Trying to stray from that fact just confuses the issue. The pig is not going to sing, no matter how good a teacher you are.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bflynn

You guys are a trip.  Scary, but a trip.

Just curious, what do you guys do at work?  I mean, when someone doesn't wipe up the microwave, do you tell them to go home and come back when they follow the rules?

manfredvonrichthofen

You know what I do for a living? I go to school, not by choice, by necessity. I have to go to school so that I can get a job in the civilian world because I didn't follow one little rule in the Army and I am now disabled because of it. I didn't wear eye protection for about five minutes while on a mission and got busted in the eye, and now that I am disabled from it I can't do what I really love, and I have to live in this world because I am blind in one eye.

Long story short... I didn't follow a rule for five minutes and it changed my world forver. Totally different you say? Yes but no, it was a different world different rule, but it was still a rule that I didn't follow and it had consequences just as wearing a different pair of boots does.

bflynn

abdsp51

The OP asked if it was allowed and was told no he/she could not wear said boots.  Honestly suede does not hold up well in the field for continued use and I can't think of any region that it would be more mission effective outside of the desert.  Green jungle boots and green suede are two separate things.  Is suede more comfy and less mx sure with the right companies but the current manual does not allow for suede to be worn in any circumstance. 

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: superLt1995 on March 13, 2012, 10:34:29 PM
As several people on here have already stated, if it is not in CAPM 39-1, then you cannot wear it. Even if it is related to a mission. As much as a boonie hat would protect you more from the sun than a PC, I wear the PC. Why? Because that it is what is authorized, simple as that. It's called a UNIFORM for a reason you know...
Thread derail:
Just wondering, how would you tell your squadron commander they aren't authorized and he shouldn't tell cadets to bring them to our upcoming bivouac.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

davidsinn

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 14, 2012, 12:45:50 AM
Quote from: superLt1995 on March 13, 2012, 10:34:29 PM
Thread derail:
Just wondering, how would you tell your squadron commander they aren't authorized and he shouldn't tell cadets to bring them to our upcoming bivouac.

Politely and privately. Print out a page from 39-1 and keep it in your pocket to cite if need be.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ol'fido

I'm gonna come down somewhere in the middle on this one. Down in my part of the world you can wear black field boots most of the time. However, given the nature of the terrain in a great part of the area with low lying areas and flood plains, I would advocate having a pair of knee high muck boots in your GT vehicle and change into them before leaving the vehicle if the terrain conditions call for it. I consider these SAFETY equipment however. A couple of you have been down my way and know how much standing water is around in  the low lying areas this time of year. Good goose and duck hunting!
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

manfredvonrichthofen

Yes, and I do agree with that, but that is considered safety gear, and I don't think there are many that would have a problem with wearing those kind of boots especially only where they are needed and knowing that they won't be worn full time, only where it is very flooded. Totally safety oriented. Not something that you want to wear for the entire duration of the mission.

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 14, 2012, 12:45:50 AM

Nearly every major activity announcement in my wing, ES, CP, whatever, includes something like this:

"Reminder:
Uniforms must be 100% correct, including grooming and weight standards where applicable.  Members who report with uniform issues that cannot be corrected on the spot will not be allowed to participate."

As to the waders, etc., as mentioned, that's equipment necessary for the mission - no issue there.  But if a member suggested they could wear them
into the ICP as an MSA, or out on a dusty ramp because they didn't want to ruin they "good" boots.  No.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: bflynn on March 13, 2012, 11:28:37 PM
You guys are a trip.  Scary, but a trip.

Just curious, what do you guys do at work?  I mean, when someone doesn't wipe up the microwave, do you tell them to go home and come back when they follow the rules?

No, but I'll restrict their use of the oven until they do decide to clean up after themselves. The last place I worked at had a sign, "Your mother doesn't work here. Clean up your own mess."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bflynn

Yeah?  Is it your microwave?

I've got two last points to reiterate -

1) Rules are guidelines that should be normally followed.  Exceptions are not the norm.  The OP should buy some regulation black boots if he can.

2) Exceptional circumstances dictate exceptions to rules.  In every military organization in the world, that is the understood to be within the authority of the on scene commander.

I wonder at how many members strict adherence to the rules has cost CAP.

abdsp51

Quote from: bflynn on March 14, 2012, 12:35:12 PM
Yeah?  Is it your microwave?

I've got two last points to reiterate -

1) Rules are guidelines that should be normally followed.  Exceptions are not the norm.  The OP should buy some regulation black boots if he can.

2) Exceptional circumstances dictate exceptions to rules.  In every military organization in the world, that is the understood to be within the authority of the on scene commander.

Maybe in the Army but in the AF our rules general have "Compliance with this publication is mandatory#.  Laws are also rules and those are by far from guidelines.

jeders

Yes, absolutely, however, "because I don't want to get my boots dirty," is not an exceptional circumstance.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: jeders on March 14, 2012, 01:59:23 PM

Yes, absolutely, however, "because I don't want to get my boots dirty," is not an exceptional circumstance.
No, but wearing a pair of wading boots should be when you are in high water. If nothing else, just get yourself a pair of black overboots. Almost any surplus store has them, and they would be a great way to keep your legs dry and have better traction when tredging through the nastiness.

Let's stop beating a dead horse, I don't think anyone has advocated wearing tan boots is okay for a while now.

Wear some hefty boots for flooded areas, otherwise keep your regulation boots on and leave everything else at home.

bflynn

I think you missed the point of my story.

My ROTC CO made a decision based on his command authority to deviate from rules.  He knew that I would be ineffective in the field because he was giving conflicting priorities to me - to maintain clean boots for every day wear and to wear black boots in the field.

But that story was told because of the statement "there is never a time when green boots are better than black boots".  So, I shared a time in my past when it was.  It wasn't a story about not following rules just because you don't want to.

From what I hear here, people claim CAP field commanders do not have command authority to deviate from the rules ever.  I reject that as false because certainly there are times when it becomes necessary to deviate.  I'll give avoidance of further injuries as a reason why this might be necessary.

I'm sure there are still people who will say that field commanders may NOT deviate from the rules under any circumstances and they will continue to not convince me.

But it isn't really that important because rules are being followed as they should be

Eclipse

The cost in members is by a long shot less than the cost in reputation, spirit, and professionalism a few people who "know better" cost CAP every day.

Organizational rules and guidelines are designed to provide a baseline for performance to relieve people from having to make those trivial decisions over and over. "Someone" is the organization is charged with the authority to "write it down", and then no one as to think about that again.

Quote from: bflynn on March 14, 2012, 02:13:49 PM
My ROTC CO made a decision based on his command authority to deviate from rules.  He knew that I would be ineffective in the field because he was giving conflicting priorities to me - to maintain clean boots for every day wear and to wear black boots in the field.

Did you consider at all how disrespectful it is to a commander's real responsibilities that he was forced to deal with your personal drama regarding boots?  The fact that he allowed you to participate is irrelevant and doesn't justify your position.  Multiply that times 100 other people under his command who also have some "critical issue" that distracts him from his real duties, and perhaps you will see the problem.

You were also not given "conflicting priorities" - millions of people worldwide have to wear the same boots every day, and are expected to show up for their shift with clean boots.  The range is soldier to waste hauler.  Soldiers have been trucking through swamps for centuries and
still shining their boots at first opportunity.

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

Quote from: Eclipse on March 14, 2012, 02:14:38 PMThe cost in members is by a Did you consider at all how disrespectful it is to a commander's real responsibilities that he was forced to deal with your personal drama regarding boots? 

As a leader every day in life, I don't consider it disrespectful at all for one of my direct reports to have a personal issue.  It's called life and we deal with it every day.

If I only accepted those who perfectly fit my preconceptions of what they should be, I'd be alone on my team.

Personally, I find it disrespectful that you'd classify my problem as "personal drama".  You really don't know enough about it.  It was a five sentence conversation, it was hardly drama.

abdsp51

You're story says green jungle boots, the op asked about suede sage boots two different types.  Ones authorized the other isn't.

jeders

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 14, 2012, 02:39:29 PM
You're story says green jungle boots, the op asked about suede sage boots two different types.  Ones authorized the other isn't.

Yes, this. I think where we're getting ourselves wrapped around the axle is that bflynn took green boots to mean standard boots that have a green non leather panel on the sides. The part about green boots not being better than black boots is talking about sage green suede boots which do not typically have the same resiliency as black smooth leather boots.

bflynn, when did you go through ROTC? My guess is that it was before the AF started using the green suede boots.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

bflynn

I was in ROTC long, long ago ;)  And it was Army ROTC, so ranger tabs and jump wings were the bigger thing.

Yes, it was before Seude combat boots were invented.  I'd put then in the same class as green nylon sided jungle boots.  Depending on your climate, they may be more appropriate for field work than black leather.  Certainly if I'm walking through a swamp, I don't want to be wearing leather anything because it will be ruined.

But uniform standards aren't judged on appropriate, they're judged on the rules written before the fact.

CivilAirPatrol123

Quote from: lordmonar on January 20, 2012, 11:08:49 PM
You know....I don't think the USAF even really cares too much about what AFROTC and AFJROTC are doing.

^ Agreed

FlyTiger77

In the Army I have lived in for the last 28 years, the regulations are not considered suggestions or good ideas or guidelines to be followed when convenient. They are the standard and the expectation is that they will be followed.

The fact that on occasion a leader plays "bet your bars" and authorizes a deviation not supported by the regulation does not negate the fact that the rules are still meant to be followed. You bet your bars at your peril and the leader who loses doesn't get to complain when (s)he gets hammered by a more senior leader.

To the OP, the USAF seude boots are not authorized for wear in CAP. There are no exceptions supported by regulation.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

bflynn

The takeaway I get from all this is that people need to relax.  And maybe that CAP uniform standards are a little tight in this area.  That doesn't excuse anyone from following them.

FWIW, current army Regulation 670-1 permit the wear of green jungle boots, but not in formation.  Standard issue black boots are still a required item.

Also, army commanding officers may authorize other boots for wear where appropriate.  So nobody has to bet their bars on it...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: bflynn on March 14, 2012, 06:49:24 PM
FWIW, current army Regulation 670-1 permit the wear of green jungle boots, but not in formation.  Standard issue black boots are still a required item.

Green jungle boots are still authorized for CAP.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 14, 2012, 06:50:55 PM

Green jungle boots are still NOT authorized for CAP.
FTFY

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Green jungle boots are still authorized.

See pages 62, table 2-3:
(Hot-weather Tropical) Green or black cloth, or canvas and black leather with plain toe with zipper or elastic inserts.
5 Socks Plain black or white sock

(also "still not" would mean they never were, "not still" would mean they were but no longer are...)

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyTiger77

The takeaway I get from all this is that people need to relax.  And maybe that CAP uniform standards are a little tight in this area.  That doesn't excuse anyone from following them.

Also, army commanding officers may authorize other boots for wear where appropriate.  So nobody has to bet their bars on it...

1. This thread began with, and I responded to, a question about the green suede USAF boots that are part of the ABU and not about the green Viet Nam-era jungle boots. As Spaceman3750 (and Eclipse) stated, jungle boots are authorized by CAP regulation and are therefore not at issue here.

2. I haven't looked at 670-1 in a few months (and it is in need of updating even more than CAPM 39-1), but I believe that jungle boots are only authorized for wear with BDUs and the wear-out date for BDUs is nearly 5 years in the distant past. Therefore, de facto jungle boots can not now be worn in the Army regardless of your formation status.

2(A). Obviously, Army regulations are irrelevant to the OP. I merely commented on my take on the authority behind them based on previous comments above.

3. Having served from the central mountainous region of Korea to the desert wasteland that is Iraq, I have never had an occasion to deviate from footwear that meets the appropriate regulation. I would have to re-read 670-1 to find the section that allows officers to disregard the regulation to which you allude.

4. Somewhere in the application process, we all agreed voluntarily to follow the regulations of the Civil Air Patrol as part of the price of admission to the organization. That someone then holds us to the standards of those regulation should not be a surprise and should not be viewed as a leadership failure on that person's part. I would submit that a more accurate perception would be that that person is doing his/her job and taking it seriously. If we have issues with the uniform standards (or any other regulation or regulations) then perhaps the time to consider that was when we join or renewed.

If someone insists on wearing shorts and flip flops to work, then perhaps a lifeguard organization would be a better fit. If jeans are something (s)he wants to wear in uniform, then perhaps the Boy/Girl Scouts would work better.

On a baseball diamond, I would much rather have 11 players on defense, but, alas, the regulations limit me to nine (perhaps to keep baseball from being football). I can't rightfully fault the umpire for sending my extra two players back to the dugout or the league for fining me.

Call me simpleminded if you will, but that is the way I see it.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

I have to find a new place to host my kool grafix. My ISP no longer hosts sites. (Cox)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: SarDragon on March 15, 2012, 06:05:27 AM
I have to find a new place to host my kool grafix. My ISP no longer hosts sites. (Cox)
Imageshack, imgur, puush.

Webhosting I'd look at Ipage (look for when they are running a deal.). Or fatcow, but I think they are the same company.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor