Main Menu

multitools

Started by thatonekid, May 14, 2011, 06:29:09 PM

Майор Хаткевич

^^^Same.

Guess it's like the BAR, eh?

Flyinsarge

yeah, get the Victorinox. I got one, it has been a great thing to have around.

abdsp51

I would say either Gerber or Leatherman.  I have and used both for day to day use and deployment use.  The one I was most fond of was the Leatherman Wave for the bits which came in handy for changing the batteries in th radar handle.  Can't go wrong with either company.

JC004

RRLE

I was just wondering if everyone on the ground team needs to be carrying a multi-tool. I know many hands make light work but just how often does a ground team have to take an airplane apart with their multi-tools.

Wouldn't it make more sense for at least one or two members to be carrying a real rescue knife/tool. I'm thinking of something with your basic glass breaker and rescuee safe web belt cutter. If you want your hard kewl there are rescue knives like the Gerber Hinderer

JC004

Who said they were for taking apart airplanes?  There are many things you do with them, mostly an individual's tasks.  It is not easy to rely on two members definitely showing up with your multi-tool.

Dad2-4

I just came across the Victorinox Rescue Tool http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=doityourself&product=53900&
Essential tools in a trusted brand name. You must "watch the rescue Tool clip" and see what the guy does with this tool!
http://www.swissarmy.com/Flash/RescueTool_video/rescuetool_video.aspx

Eclipse

I like the thing in general, and the ability to swap out the window punch and saw belt cutter are nice features, too, though
my guess would be that while he's sawing the window, somebody else would just come by with a BFH and smash out the glass.

It was kind of funny to see how neatly he removed the windshield the first time, and then the two guys just basically wrecked the car.

"That Others May Zoom"

Senior

I picked  up a nearly new Leatherman Skeletool at a pawn shop recently.
It fits well in my large hands.  The carabiner/bottle opener doesn't get in the way like I thought it might.  The interchangeable screwdriver bits are held in the handle well.  You can buy other types of bits from Leatherman.  Basic knife, pliers and screwdriver bits are the tools included on this Leatherman.

DC

Quote from: Senior on July 03, 2011, 12:52:16 AM
I picked  up a nearly new Leatherman Skeletool at a pawn shop recently.
It fits well in my large hands.  The carabiner/bottle opener doesn't get in the way like I thought it might.  The interchangeable screwdriver bits are held in the handle well.  You can buy other types of bits from Leatherman.  Basic knife, pliers and screwdriver bits are the tools included on this Leatherman.
I've been eying those for a little while. How is the weight and size compared to a regular folding pocket knife?

titanII

No longer active on CAP talk

Senior

DC,  It is much lighter than the regular Leathermans I have.  It has a natural
"feel" in your hand.  It is comparable to a two blade small/medium pocket knife.
I think this model also has carbon fiber handles making it even lighter.  I have large hands so the carabiner/bottle opener increases the gripping area when using the pliers.   ;) 

Eclipse

The good people of Amazon dropped one of these off at my house this morning.
Not exactly a multi-tool, but together with my PST it should fill my compliment nicely.

Good balance, well made, and a lifetime warranty.  Not bad for $14.50 and free shipping.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on July 09, 2011, 11:51:32 PM
The good people of Amazon dropped one of these off at my house this morning.
Not exactly a multi-tool, but together with my PST it should fill my compliment nicely.

Good balance, well made, and a lifetime warranty.  Not bad for $14.50 and free shipping.

I used to have 2 of a very similar knife. I found that it was way too big for daily use and that the blade didn't stay sharp for long. Now I keep one in my 24 hour gear and it needs to be sharpened.

JC004

I love Smith & Wesson knives.  I've carried one for years, now on my third.  They're well designed, well made, and the steel quality is very good for the price.

Eclipse

I can't speak to anything "similar", but this one has a lifetime warranty and is sharp as poop right now.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Anybody using this?

http://www.crkt.com/idworksflux

It looks like something that would be good on paper but maybe not so good in use.

Do people really use flash drives that much?  I have a couple I use for occasionally moving files between
platforms, or sneakernet when something better isn't handy, but would never trust gold-copies of my files to a flash.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Sometimes you need to bring files to the boss' mountain retreat where he has a computer- but he makes everyone mountain climb to it. So you need a survival tool that helps you keep your job but also is useful if something goes wrong.

It could happen.

Buzz

The Gerber is superior to the Leatherman in that you can grab it, give a snap of the wrist and you have your pliers and wire cutters ready to go.

billford1

Leatherman is American made.