Blue Utility Jumpsuit for GSAR

Started by Spaceman3750, January 13, 2011, 01:42:22 PM

Spaceman3750

So I've been thinking increasingly about the blue utility jumpsuit and whether or not one could find a home in my ground team go-box that's supposed to be sitting in the trunk of my car. What are your guys' thoughts on the jumpsuit in terms of comfort, range of movement, and general usability for ground team work? It would definitely be simpler than BDUs, but does the quality match up with ripstop BDUs or if I get into a thorny area am I going to have a jumpsuit being ripped to shreds?

Also, during training, what are your thoughts on the uniform of the day issues caused by the jumpsuit (other than, you know, asking the project officer, which is what I would do anyways)? Obviously nobody's designating it as the UOD because very few people use one.

Thom

I wouldn't go traipsing around the woods in one myself. The Rothco brand that Vanguard sells is pretty thin fabric, and doesn't seem terribly tough. It is nowhere near the durability and toughness of typical BDUs, more like some old, thin ripstop fabric, minus the actual ripstopping grid. It can be comfortable, but not significantly better or worse than BDUs, and the range of movement is only limited if you buy it too small.

They do work well for aircrew duty and they can be pretty handy for a mission base outfit. No need to drag around a pair of slacks and a polo or aviator shirt, just carry the jumpsuit and maybe a t-shirt to match and you are good to go.

Thom

Angus

I used to have one for Squadron Meetings and ES Activities where I would be at Mission Base or in the Air.  Definitely way too thin for Ground Work.  However for a quick and easy uniform to get into for meetings (if you have to contend with work) it's a great idea.  I need to try and get my hands on a new one, my last one was too small.  Plus I"ve been promoted since so I figure it's easier to just get a new one and move the badges.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

EMT-83

I have a jumpsuit that I use for rappelling that works very well. I got the idea from some friends who wear them spelunking. As pointed out, range of motion shouldn't be a problem if properly sized.

They have an advantage that loose clothing isn't an issue, and there's no worry about your shirt coming untucked while hanging on a rope. Mine is a mechanics jumpsuit, so the material is pretty tough. I've never ripped it hiking through the woods.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 13, 2011, 02:25:26 PM
I have a jumpsuit that I use for rappelling that works very well. I got the idea from some friends who wear them spelunking. As pointed out, range of motion shouldn't be a problem if properly sized.

They have an advantage that loose clothing isn't an issue, and there's no worry about your shirt coming untucked while hanging on a rope. Mine is a mechanics jumpsuit, so the material is pretty tough. I've never ripped it hiking through the woods.

Out of curiosity, can the one you have be had in the CAP distinctive color? If so, where can it be found?

EMT-83

I dunno. If I remember correctly, I ordered mine from Wearguard.

Eclipse

As I commented in a previous thread, the utility jumpsuit is much better suited to CAP Ground Ops than anything else.

Inexpensive, easy to configure / change / care for, and not a rainbow of color.  It is distinctive, yet professional, and doesn't get hung up
on stuff like your vest, car doors, etc.

On a CAP GT, you are much more likely to be doing a lot of in/out of a vehicle than being inserted to an aggressive area and camping for several days.  There is a reason tankers, pilots, aircrews, and similar wear an outfit like this in most services.

The Rothco version is not very hearty, and won't stand up to bramble, thorns, or tree-climbing, but should be fine for most people based on a few missions a year and some training.  It is also cheap enough to have several and easy to have stored in your car.  It can be worn with civilian shoes and requires no hat.

In comparison, BDU's are a PITA all the way around.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on January 13, 2011, 03:45:27 PM
As I commented in a previous thread, the utility jumpsuit is much better suited to CAP Ground Ops than anything else.

Inexpensive, easy to configure / change / care for, and not a rainbow of color.  It is distinctive, yet professional, and doesn't get hung up
on stuff like your vest, car doors, etc.

On a CAP GT, you are much more likely to be doing a lot of in/out of a vehicle than being inserted to an aggressive area and camping for several days.  There is a reason tankers, pilots, aircrews, and similar wear an outfit like this in most services.

The Rothco version is not very hearty, and won't stand up to bramble, thorns, or tree-climbing, but should be fine for most people based on a few missions a year and some training.  It is also cheap enough to have several and easy to have stored in your car.  It can be worn with civilian shoes and requires no hat.

In comparison, BDU's are a PITA all the way around.
I find that there is not much in the world that is more comfortable than BDUs, except for ACUs, but that is because of better material and a better shape on the body. I don't get hung up on anything, if you have a pair of BDUs that are the right size for your body, you won't have the issues.

RiverAux

Outside of a few special situations where a "clean" outfit that has few things to get snagged on stuff (such as caving or rapelling, snow suits in winter months), I cannot think of a single profession (including the military) or recreational activity that uses jumpsuits in the outdoors.  That says it all to me -- if they were practical, they would be commonly used.  Instead, the trouser, shirt/jacket combo rules. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 14, 2011, 12:45:09 AM
Outside of a few special situations where a "clean" outfit that has few things to get snagged on stuff (such as caving or rapelling, snow suits in winter months), I cannot think of a single profession (including the military) or recreational activity that uses jumpsuits in the outdoors.  That says it all to me -- if they were practical, they would be commonly used.  Instead, the trouser, shirt/jacket combo rules.

Skydivers.

Lifeflight and other helo aircrews.

Race car drivers.

Motorcycle racers and recreational riders.

Astronauts.

Elvis impersonators.

Skiers.

Speed Skaters.

Mechanics.

Plumbers.

Delivery drivers.

Custodial Workers.

Clean Room Technicians.

The X-Men.

Firemen.

Construction workers.

Ghostbusters.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

X-Men and Ghostbusters!   :clap:  I'm in!
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

RVT

Quote from: wuzafuzz on January 14, 2011, 02:16:51 AM
X-Men and Ghostbusters!   :clap:  I'm in!

He had me at "Ghostbusters"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on January 14, 2011, 02:10:48 AM
Skydivers.
Race car drivers.
Astronauts.
Elvis impersonators.
Skiers.
Speed Skaters.
Mechanics.
Plumbers.
Delivery drivers.
Custodial Workers.
Clean Room Technicians.
The X-Men.
Firemen.
Construction workers.
Ghostbusters.
Nice examples except for the fact that not one of them is hiking around through the brush and brambles while they do those jobs. 

Or perhaps you were suggesting those as potential CAP missions so that the utility suit would finally make sense as a CAP uniform.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 14, 2011, 03:08:39 AM
Nice examples except for the fact that not one of them is hiking around through the brush and brambles while they do those jobs. 

Or perhaps you were suggesting those as potential CAP missions so that the utility suit would finally make sense as a CAP uniform.

Outside of a few special situations where a "clean" outfit that has few things to get snagged on stuff (such as caving or rapelling, snow suits in winter months), I cannot think of a single profession (including the military) or recreational activity that uses jumpsuits in the outdoors. That says it all to me -- if they were practical, they would be commonly used.  Instead, the trouser, shirt/jacket combo rules.
I came up with 14 without even trying.

As to the brambles >I'm< the one who made the comment that the Rothco one probably won't hold up, but there are other versions just as robust as any BDU material, and in the CAP universe, there's a whole lot of ground ops that never see anything much in the woods.
Katrina and Kentucky, for starters, were perfect environments for the utilities.  Everything was on-road, trashed urban, getting in and out of vehicles all day.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on January 14, 2011, 02:10:48 AM

Skydivers.

Race car drivers.

Astronauts.

Elvis impersonators.

Skiers.

Speed Skaters.

Mechanics.

Plumbers.

Delivery drivers.

Custodial Workers.

Clean Room Technicians.

The X-Men.

Firemen.

Construction workers.

Ghostbusters.
All of which run the risk of being set ablaze... yes I said all. I even mean the Elvis impersonators, especially the Elvis impersonators. >:D

How big of a risk do you think you run of being set ablaze in the field?

EDIT: If you say you have a big risk of being set ablaze in the field, then you are doing something very very very wrong.

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 14, 2011, 03:49:08 AM
How big of a risk do you think you run of being set ablaze in the field?

EDIT: If you say you have a big risk of being set ablaze in the field, then you are doing something very very very wrong.

Zero, we are not discussing Nomex or flightsuits.

We are discussing the blue utility suit.  I'll line out the ones potentially in fire retardant gear.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

You didn't need to remove the motorcycle folks. They rarely have to worry about fires.  Besides, leather really sux for fire protection.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

I will say that I have spent plenty of time in the sand box and in the mountains wearing both DCU (cut exactly the same as BDU) and ACU (better cut). I have to say that I have never had an issue getting caught on anything, even getting in and out of a HWMMV. I have scaled walls, rappelled out of helicopters, gotten into literal life and death situations and haven't had any issues with them. The only issue I have had was the crotch ripping out of a few pairs of pants. If they work for us when we are in the sand box or in the mountains, they will do great for CAP in any environment we get into

Spaceman3750

As a reminder, we are talking about the CAP utility jumpsuit, not a flightsuit

Although, when I looked on Propper's site yesterday, their flightsuit looks almost identical to the Rothco jumpsuit.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 14, 2011, 01:29:26 PM
As a reminder, we are talking about the CAP utility jumpsuit, not a flightsuit

Although, when I looked on Propper's site yesterday, their flight suit looks almost identical to the Rothco jumpsuit.
That is just the thing. CAP only uses the flight suit type utility anymore. If you look at VG's website, the blue utility jump suit is the flight suit, just not made with Nomex. There is also no reason to change to that uniform for field work. As I have said, and some others, if the BDU is still a good uniform for a combat deployment then it is perfect for what we need. If the "jumpsuit" were good for field work, then the entire military would be wearing it, yet no one is. Why is that?