Your mobile Communications set up

Started by cap235629, December 28, 2010, 09:25:53 PM

Spaceman3750

Quote from: IceNine on January 18, 2011, 11:35:31 PM
I finally got

And made the list of everything needed for the jump kit radio Eclipse posted earlier.  This list is specific to the EFJ's but could easily be modified for any radio.  You will simply need to ensure all the power adapters and antenna connectors match your setup.

You need:

- Samlex BBM-1225 Battery Backup Module

- 12 V 7ah
Sealed lead acid battery (gel cell)  - I use this one

- Female to female bulkhead adapter (Type N for EFJ)

- Mobile radio mount specific to your radio.  There are several universal models available as well.  I would also recommend replacing the factory mounting hardware with something much smaller.  The molded thumb screws can take up valuable real estate inside this configuration.

- Power harness specific to your radio.  The side that is not connected to your radio will have the wires cut and connected to an anderson powerpole.  Make sure you have extra's just in case.  I chose to use the delco weather tight connector supplied with the EFJ's

- Several Pigtails. I carry Anderson Powerpole to
   - Anderson Powerpole
   - Molex
   - Spade Connector
   - Delco Weather tight
   - Several with bare ends for custom setup on the fly.

-Powerpole Mounting Clamp Pair for 2 or 4 PP15/30/45 Powerpoles
  -30 Amp Unassembled Red/Black Anderson Powerpole Sets

- (2) 1/4"-20 x 3 1/2" carriage bolts
- (2) 1/4"-20 x 1" carriage bolts
- (4) 1/4"-20 nuts
- (2) 1/4"-20 wing nuts
- (4) 1/4" fender washers
- (8") 1/2 or 3/4 metal flat stock

- Shrink tube large enough to fit around your flat stock

- Small tube of silicone ( to seal around carriage bolts)

Tools:
- Drill
- 1/4" drill bit (for plastic and steel)
- 7/16" wrench

I will post detailed pictures when my "real" camera gets here next week. 

In the mean time I stand-by to answer questions

I don't suppose you had a chance to take those pictures? Thanks :).

arajca

Quote from: arajca on December 31, 2010, 05:37:11 PM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on December 31, 2010, 04:24:26 PM
Quote from: arajca on December 31, 2010, 04:02:53 PM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on December 31, 2010, 03:20:34 PM
Radio bolted to the side of the seat.  Crummy location but a decent operator can change channels without looking. 
http://flic.kr/p/96aodH
Yes, but the passenger/navigator can't. Plus you have to lay across the driver's lap to read the channel.
Accurate points both.  Results of a no-budget "get it done yesterday so we don't fail wing inspection" set of marching orders.  Eventually I'd like to take the time to do better.  Post all those photos of your installs!  ;-)
Once I get the replacement van, I'll do that. The current van has 92K - 14K last year alone. Wing has said they're going to rotate it for one with fewer miles since we didn't get any new ones this year.
Since wing decided not to rotate vans, I made the install in the current van.

At this time, only the upper EFJ is operational. I still have to do the electrical and antenna installs and install the other part of the HF. I am planning to have most of it done by the COWG conf in early April. (no promises, though).

Not quite as pretty as some, but it works and it can be pivoted up (hinged at the rear) for access to the doghouse and for operational use as field communications unit.