The Best of Squadron Patches

Started by Pylon, January 09, 2006, 08:41:09 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: dogden on August 31, 2010, 04:54:54 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying, I had log-in issues....

I did not realize our squadron patch and emblem are slightly different, the font is changed and the Latin scroll is moved. It is a big patch 4in round, it takes up most of the pocket on the BDU's and looks HUGE on the flightsuit. I think it is the best looking patch I have had in any of my squadrons.

The unit number is different as well.

One could make hay that these are not the same insignia and therefore one or the other isn't actually approved for wear.  I was originally going to note that you'd never be able to get the script on a patch that small and have it be legible.

They also spelled "squadron" wrong on the patch.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

<_< I knew better, and I STILL fell for it!

dogden

Quote from: MIKE on August 31, 2010, 06:57:09 PM
Why would you be wearing it on the flight suit anyway?[/Loaded Question]  >:D

Because I am a rebel! Usually I'm wearing my ARM patch but it's not like my pen pocket patches are legal either.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

A.Member

Quote from: dogden on August 31, 2010, 04:54:54 PM
...It is a big patch 4in round...
Big?!  At 4" round, that's well beyond big!   You should just sew them on the back of your jackets like a motorcycle gang...

:)

Edit:  Removed question....it's probably worthy of a new thread.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RiverAux

I think its an outstanding looking piece of electronic art but it is WAY too busy for a patch even one as big as it is. 

biomed441

Quote from: Eclipse on August 31, 2010, 07:21:55 PM

Some Wings have supplements which allow unit insignia to be worn as one of the optional patches.

Minor Derail - You wouldn't happen to know which wings would you?

Chief2009

Only one I know off the top of my head is IL

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

tsrup

Quote from: Chief2009 on September 10, 2010, 12:43:52 PM

DN

You can add South Dakota Wing to that list.
Paramedic
hang-around.

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on August 24, 2010, 08:26:28 PM
As you may (or may not) have noticed in prior discussions, I am a BIG fan of unit names. Here in CAWG, the predominance is for unit numbers, and is distresses me to no end. Podunk Cadet Squadron is much more friendly than Squadron 26, and gives a local reference.

When someone says Big Bear, or Huntington Beach, or Fresno, or most any other location in California, it's easy to figure out where they are located. The squadrons with people's names are a bit harder, but are still better, IMHO, that a string of numbers.

Getting back to the patch, using OKLA CITY COMP SQ conveys more about the unit than SWR-OK-113, which sounds like it could be a part number for an aircraft part just as well as it could be a unit identifier.

YMMV.

I'm a fan of the numbers....but I understand what you are getting at.  If we are going to go with names....I would mandate it to geographical names.

Nellis Composite Squadron or South Bend Upper two thirds of the Eastern side of the Colorado River Composite Squadron is a lot better then the Hommer J. Simpson, MMMMM Doughnuts, Memorial Senior Squadron!

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Dragon 3-2

Quote from: tsrup on September 10, 2010, 03:05:06 PM
Quote from: Chief2009 on September 10, 2010, 12:43:52 PM

DN

You can add South Dakota Wing to that list.

I didnt think it was against any regs to wear a squadron patch on the flight suit, but nobody yells at me for doing so in NJ soooo.......

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

SoCalMarine

Well, I can show you one of the worst ones. This is my old squadron when I first rejoined CAP. They actually had a nice one that a few people at NESA asked if they could get one for their collection. Anyway, this is their new design. I should put design in quotes for obvious reasons.

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: SoCalMarine on June 19, 2011, 08:24:44 AM
Well, I can show you one of the worst ones. This is my old squadron when I first rejoined CAP. They actually had a nice one that a few people at NESA asked if they could get one for their collection. Anyway, this is their new design. I should put design in quotes for obvious reasons.

Hmm, I dont think the Foothills Cadet Squadron is using this patch right now. I think they have a shield. I saw a few of their cadets recently and their patch was more black if I recall correctly. oh... your banned, darn, guess i wont get a respnse... sad day  :'(
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: Mustang on June 22, 2010, 04:27:20 AM
Quote from: A.Member on June 16, 2010, 05:59:09 AM
Our newly approved squadron patch (as of 6.15.10)...with heraldry:

Love it!  Great design!

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 17, 2010, 01:15:20 AM
I hate the new FLWG patch:

I personally like the old-skool patch, the one I wear:

There's nothing "old-skool" about that patch, my friend.

Mustang is right... This ugly design was supposed to go nationwide. Another one of X-General Peneda's great ideas  ::) But when he was forced to resign, and dissapeared, this universal wing patch idea went with him.

Skydude61

this be ours... think what you will.
BTW, if all you see is a hyperlink, but still wish to view it, C&P it into the little bar that takes web addresses.

Eclipse

Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 06:58:32 PMMustang is right... This ugly design was supposed to go nationwide. Another one of X-General Peneda's great ideas  ::) But when he was forced to resign, and dissapeared, this universal wing patch idea went with him.

Cite please.

There was no movement or action to make a universal wing patch during the former Commander's tenure.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2011, 07:54:56 PM
Cite please.

There was no movement or action to make a universal wing patch during the former Commander's tenure.

Yeah, this. I had heard of the patch design being pushed to be nationwide, and was killed when he got booted. Never saw a document related to it though, so it was either a rumor or something else non-official.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 05, 2011, 07:56:59 PM
Cite please.

Yeah, this. I had heard of the patch design being pushed to be nationwide, and was killed when he got booted. Never saw a document related to it though, so it was either a rumor or something else non-official.

It was one of Penada... Penyada, however you spell it's ideas, and he tried it out on Florida, dunno why, Just happened. An Ex-Florida Wing Director of Cadet Programs told me about this happening during his term. But now he's better off in Colorado so it doesnt matter anymore!  ;D       I know you well enough now Mr. EClispse that an Ex Director of Cadet Programs isnt going to be a hard enough cite for you, and you want to see some documentation, but I'm sorry, thats the best I can do for you... Hope you like? ???

Eclipse

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 06, 2011, 08:20:03 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on July 05, 2011, 07:56:59 PM
Cite please.

It was one of Penada... Penyada, however you spell it's ideas, and he tried it out on Florida, dunno why, Just happened. An Ex-Florida Wing Director of Cadet Programs told me about this happening during his term. But now he's better off in Colorado so it doesnt matter anymore!         I know you well enough now Mr. EClispse that an Ex Director of Cadet Programs isnt going to be a hard enough cite for you, and you want to see some documentation, but I'm sorry, thats the best I can do for you... Hope you like?

You are correct, some off-handed comment by a former random wing-staffer has no weight in something you are purporting to have been a national initiative.  It isn't even a staffer who would be involved in that wing's insignia, let alone one for the whole organization.

What you are forgetting, or perhaps didn't know, is that it was during HWSRN's tenure that wing patches were removed / made optional from dress and field uniforms.  Not exactly the kind of action that would indicate he was intending to redesign every patch in the country.

"That Others May Zoom"

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: Eclipse on July 06, 2011, 05:20:27 PM
What you are forgetting, or perhaps didn't know, is that it was during HWSRN's tenure that wing patches were removed / made optional from dress and field uniforms.  Not exactly the kind of action that would indicate he was intending to redesign every patch in the country.

When I joined CAP in 2005, Penyada was still the Commander, and at the time, Wing Patches were still required. It wasn't until a couple years later that wing patches were deemed "optional."

BTW, I'm just curious, this forum wasn't about who had what plan for what wing patches and who's right about what. Someone had posted florida's patch, and I figured that a Wing Director of Cadet Programs who was serving in that position at the time of their wings patch change, would know a thing or two about why they changed it, so i commented on the photo. It made since to me. And I'm not the only one who has heard that either. But my bigest question of all (because I've seen your posts in every other forum)... Do you go around asking people to cite them selfs on everything? Is that your purpose in life? You have to understand here sir, that not EVERYTHING is written down on public documents for everyone to see. Especially if its just an 'idea.' Going "by the book" is good, and that is how it should be, but what happens when you run into contradictions or blanks, or loop holes? Then what? Sure most things are and should be in writing on record, but the reality is, not everything is, and it is then, and only then, can a good leader be measured for their inturpritation skills.

I'll be 100% honest here, If I had a leader telling me to cite every little thing I did, I wouldnt be in CAP anymore because it would loose its fun, and excitment. Some things just are what they are, and one day I hope you can come to realize this. You seem to be a big hot shot or something on this forum, with your fancy little stars and your title as "too much free time" but personally, I wonder to myself, 'is this guy a good leader in his unit? Or is he frowned upon because he's way to strict and never gets anything done because his nose is barried so deep in the books that the binding is starting to frey from his intent breathing?'  ???

I'm sorry to be rude, but I call it as I see it.

:clap: I applaud you for your dedication to knowledge and being aware of regulations history and manuals etc, I wish everyone were like that, Its a hard skill to develope, and your knowledge is impressive.  But when it comes down to it, sometimes you just gotta let things go.  :(