Main Menu

Base Access

Started by Brad, March 04, 2015, 05:59:39 AM

MSG Mac

Every AFB is supposed to have an AF Officer designated to liaison with CAP. He or She should be contacted regarding these issues. Your Wing HQ should know how to contact him.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

abdsp51

Which may or may not be the case.  Sometimes you have to do the leg work to get things done.

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 07, 2015, 10:23:09 PM
Every AFB is supposed to have an AF Officer designated to liaison with CAP. He or She should be contacted regarding these issues. Your Wing HQ should know how to contact him.

Reg cite please?

TheTravelingAirman

So, to ask a question that's probably been answered, but where does it say you have access to the base with a DL and a CAP ID?

"Looking at CAPR 147-1 we see this:

-1. Privileges. The following privileges are accorded under the conditions specified and upon the presentation of the credentials stated:
--a. Civil Air Patrol cadets and senior members are authorized to purchase at any time articles of uniform which are authorized for wear by Civil Air Patrol directives. When --purchasing articles of uniform, members will be identified by the official Civil Air Patrol membership card which must be current."

This says you can purchase uniforms from AAFES. Not access a base. Furthermore, it is a CAPR, not an AFI/AFR/AFMAN/AFwhatever. No sway over USAF operations whatsoever.

"He showed the guards the regs that allow us on base with our CAP ID and a driver's license."

What are the regs? And as stated earlier, if the Installation Commander does not say you may enter, no amount of arguing will get you on.

Well, it may. In handcuffs, if you're really persistent.

"Every AFB is supposed to have an AF Officer designated to liaison with CAP. He or She should be contacted regarding these issues. Your Wing HQ should know how to contact him."

MSG Mac, AFI 10-2701, Para 3.2.3. "Installation commanders will appoint a field grade officer to assist the CAP USAF Liaison Region personnel and to act as a liaison with CAP units conducting activities on the installation. (T-3).  Installation commanders will provide the designee's name, rank, office symbol and telephone number to CAP-USAF Liaison Region Commander and will update this information annually or when installation liaison turnover occurs. (T-3).  When providing short-term support to CAP units, installation commanders may also designate a project officer to work with the CAP unit. Installation commanders will contact CAP-USAF liaison personnel directly to coordinate matters relating to CAP (T-3).

However, good luck getting it to happen. Our Wg Command Chief came out to see the squadron, was unimpressed, and asked us to make an effort to recruit before he tasked people and resources to aid a 'squadron' of
8. With our high ops tempo, I kinda agree. Didn't even make it to the Wg commander.

abdsp51

There are ways to get access to installation,  the biggest thing I have seen is the whining about being denied or turned away because they were ill prepared or didn't talk to the right people.  At DM I knew who to talk to about it and it made things smoother for us in the long run.  To expect base access because of being CAP isn't going to fly with most people on the yard and I can guarantee you will be laughed at by the defender working the gate with you try to tout something that they have not heard of or doesn't apply to entry. 

Every base has an installation access plan that says who may come and go on the yard and that is the bible for the folks guarding the gates,  your not in there you find a sponsor.  If your questionable you find a sponsor.  There will be hardly any if',s ands or buts about it if you don't meet the criteria.

Tim Medeiros

One of the first things I did when I took command was find out who the installation liaison was for DM.  Found out one wasn't appointed, and brought AFI 10-2701 para 3.2.3 up through MY chain of command to our region ADO, not very long later I was introduced to the base liaison and quickly invited him to 1) a meeting and 2) a Mitchell presentation.  I've just done the same with the new liaison that was just assigned (hopefully the Mitchell presentation will be soon, we've got 2 C/CMSgts within spitting distance).
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Mela_007

Sorry I did not specify the "reg" that I mentioned yesterday (it was buried in an email).  It's not a CAP reg, but a specific base rule/reg (IAW Keesler AFB SOI 31-10).  The CAP member who works on base as active USAF in security forces, made copies of this directive showing it to all gate guards and leaving a copy at each gate.  That doesn't mean that we don't still have some guards who haven't heard, but it's better than it was. 

Understandably, it is each base's rules we have to follow...this is just what is helping us.
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

abdsp51

I'm throwing the bs flag on that.  That reg is required equipment and reading.

J2H

The SF member who is leaving a copy on base is overstepping his bounds... if the base still says you need a DBIDS card, you need a DBIDS card
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

raivo

Quote from: J2H on April 19, 2015, 01:00:12 AM
The SF member who is leaving a copy on base is overstepping his bounds... if the base still says you need a DBIDS card, you need a DBIDS card

True, but the SFG commander isn't going to sign off on an OI that contradicts the base commander's rule.

... well, ideally, that is.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

abdsp51

Outside of one agency there is no such thing as an SFG in the AF.  Plus those base plans are signed by the Wg/CC  not the Sq/CC. 

raivo

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 19, 2015, 01:59:11 AM
Outside of one agency there is no such thing as an SFG in the AF.  Plus those base plans are signed by the Wg/CC  not the Sq/CC.

Whoops. I forgot SFG's are specific to missile bases.

Change SFG to SFS, my point remains.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."