00013 Course - Aka ECI-13 Sanity Check

Started by SeattleSarge, July 04, 2007, 05:27:58 AM

Lee Davis

Here's a cool "GOTCHA!"

I enrolled in ECI 13...coming down to the expiration, I applied for & received a 4 month extension.  Used to be that you had to request the test before the expiration, and take it as soon as it came.

Oops...they decided you have to complete the test within the 12 months.  Extension?  Sorry, charlie, we changed the rules and your extension doesn't exist.  So you can't take the test.  Just re-enroll in the course when you're eligible again.

Any wonder CAP has a retention problem?

I'm thinking there are other volunteer organizations which don't make it as difficult to volunteer for them...and pay to do so.
1LT Lee Davis
IL 303 PAO

RiverAux

QuoteAs for offering more SLS/CLC courses, current policy is that NHQ will fund one of each, per wing, per year. You need to convince your wing of the benefit of doing the funded one in your geographical area.

It doesn't prohibit a Wing from holding more and frankly, I've never seen very much money spent on an SLS or CLC in my Wing -- maybe fuel for the vans to drive in, but members pay for their own lodging and those using POVs don't get reimbursed for their gas. 

SarDragon

I can't find any info on specifics of funding, but I think it mostly covers reproduction of student materials, and perhaps the cost of meeting facilities. Looking at what I saw for students handouts at the SLS I just participated in, the cost easily came to $10/person right there. My Level I materials used to cost me $8 - 9 when I got the good deal from Office Depot.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

^Not sure if it helps, but they do not include an amount as it varies each year depending on the amount of monies available.

Quote from: CAPR 50-17 Page 12
c. Funding. Each fiscal year, CAP allocates funds for support of SLS. Contact NHQ CAP/ETP for the amount. When
NHQ CAP/ETP receives a CAPF 11, CAP Senior Member Professional Development Program Director's Report
(Attachment 6), from the SLS course director, signed by the wing commander, ETP mails a check to the wing commander.
NOTE: Some wings may hold more than one SLS per year; however, only one SLS is funded.

If the instructor is running the funded one, it is up to them to discuss budget constraints with whomever controls the funds.

The SLS's that I've directed have all been 'non-funded,' and have cost me absolutely nothing to run.  NHQ sent the student workbooks and instructor guides.  The squadron has a projector and laptop.  The PPT slides are provided.  Copies of specific things were 'donated' by work.  The location was free.  The only cost was lodging for the members at the bases rate for their VOQ.

I'm not sure about the new one, but the old one required you to specify the # of students and NHQ provided the student materials through the mail.  The finance report was really easy for those... $0.00
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Capt Rivera

update?: You can STILL enroll in Course 13 and I have still not seen anything official of the requirement being lifted or modified.

Anyone else with updates to this topics? Anyone know how the funding process works for SLS & CLC ? in other words how/when etc of getting funding to put the course on?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Eclipse

Quote from: riveraj on December 23, 2007, 06:36:36 PM
update?: You can STILL enroll in Course 13 and I have still not seen anything official of the requirement being lifted or modified.

Anyone else with updates to this topics? Anyone know how the funding process works for SLS & CLC ? in other words how/when etc of getting funding to put the course on?

This was just a false rumor - no such change was made or is being discussed.

As to "funding an SLS" - I'm not sure what you mean.  The materials are all available for free on NHQ's site.

All you need is some space and participants.

The new curriculum is so discussion-based as to have the printed materials basically being optional.

We will be putting on one in late January, the second time we will be using the new curriculum, as with the last time, we will provide links to all participants to the materials - if you want to print them, great, if not, you don't really need them, anyway.

Last time a number of participants brought the PDF's on their PDA's, cel phones, or notebook computers.

We offer these classes at no cost other than an optional $5 if you want to participate in bagels and coffee each morning. 

(It should be noted that some wings, mine included, specifically prohibit using an SLS/CLC as a fund raiser)

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Eclipse on December 23, 2007, 07:09:51 PM

This was just a false rumor - no such change was made or is being discussed.

As to "funding an SLS" - I'm not sure what you mean.  The materials are all available for free on NHQ's site.

All you need is some space and participants.

The new curriculum is so discussion-based as to have the printed materials basically being optional.

We will be putting on one in late January, the second time we will be using the new curriculum, as with the last time, we will provide links to all participants to the materials - if you want to print them, great, if not, you don't really need them, anyway.

Last time a number of participants brought the PDF's on their PDA's, cel phones, or notebook computers.

We offer these classes at no cost other than an optional $5 if you want to participate in bagels and coffee each morning. 

(It should be noted that some wings, mine included, specifically prohibit using an SLS/CLC as a fund raiser)

I'm mostly looking for funding that can be applied to transportation... does NHQ not support this?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

Eclipse

Quote from: riveraj on December 23, 2007, 08:16:04 PM
I'm mostly looking for funding that can be applied to transportation... does NHQ not support this?

To my knowledge NHQ only provides actual costs such as printing, etc.  No transport reimbursements.

How far would you have to go?  My wing did four last year, set in different parts of the state.

Why not just host one locally?

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Eclipse on December 23, 2007, 08:35:52 PM
Quote from: riveraj on December 23, 2007, 08:16:04 PM

To my knowledge NHQ only provides actual costs such as printing, etc.  No transport reimbursements.

How far would you have to go?  My wing did four last year, set in different parts of the state.

Why not just host one locally?

Considering hosting one locally actually... but I am asking because my wing... ND WING is very spaced out and it is not usually affordable or practical to drive 5 hours to get to one. Still can't easily do anything about the time, but funding squadron vans to get to the location would be helpful to squadrons & wings with limited funding.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

JCJ

NHQ Prof. Development is working on a CAP specific, modular, distance learning (internet) based course that will replace AFIADL 13.  It is not complete yet, but the work to date was presented to the NEC at the Nov meeting and was excellent.  I don't know when the roll-out will be but they have made very good progress so far.  When it is done, the course will be done online through a CAP server, and not through AFIADL.