That emergency services patch

Started by culpeper, August 21, 2018, 11:49:40 AM

culpeper

What is the deal with the two different patches.  I completed GES, IS-100, and CAP driver's license.  Is that enough or should I do something else.  Anyway,  who came up with the one with the plane as well as the one with the dog?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

culpeper

Like a technician qualification? 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

culpeper

Thanks.  I've also found a list of the qualifications needed under CAPR 60-3 paragraph  2-3(f).

The one with Pluto looks like  USAF FAC patch out of the Vietnam era. 

PHall

Quote from: culpeper on August 21, 2018, 12:38:07 PM
Thanks.  I've also found a list of the qualifications needed under CAPR 60-3 paragraph  2-3(f).

It dates from the 50's.

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2018, 12:29:29 PM
MSA,UDF, GTM, MS, MO, etc.

How did you become a flight release officer without being an MO or pilot?

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 21, 2018, 06:04:52 PM

He's a Mission Scanner.

You need to be a pilot or air crew (CAPR 70-1, 4.5.1.1.)

Eclipse

Thank you, my original appointment was under the previous version of 60-1
which called out Unit CCs with flight activity in their squadron as eligible to
be FROs, was Wing DOS for 2.5 years, and a PSC (though I'm not current with that).

70-1:
"4.5.1.1. FROs must have flying experience either as a pilot or as an aircrew member. Pilot or
aircrew experience should preferably be within CAP, but external experience is acceptable. FROs do not
have to be current to fly within CAP. Additional IC guidance can be found in paragraph 9.10.2.5. In order
to be an FRO, personnel must also:"

60-1:
"4-5. Flight Release Officer Qualifications. Individuals designated as a FRO must meet the following minimum requirements:
a. Possess a sound knowledge of the CAP flight management program and flight release procedures.
b. Complete the National CAP FRO training program.
c. Satisfy one of the following criteria:
(1) Qualified incident commander, or
(2) Unit commander of a unit with CAP flight activity, or
(3) An experienced CAP pilot with a private or higher pilot certificate (need not be current)."

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 21, 2018, 06:12:58 PM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 21, 2018, 06:04:52 PM

He's a Mission Scanner.

You need to be a pilot or air crew (CAPR 70-1, 4.5.1.1.)

Actually I just looked at the regulation, and it doesn't even require aircrew.  You can become an FRO without ever having touched an aircraft, ever.

I keep running in to people who think being an MO with 60+ hours and a student pilot just shy of Solo isn't enough.

Eclipse

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 22, 2018, 04:38:32 PM
Actually I just looked at the regulation, and it doesn't even require aircrew.  You can become an FRO without ever having touched an aircraft, ever.

The current requirements are quoted above and require the member to have been a Pilot or Aircrew,
it doesn't have to be as a member or in a CAP plane, but you do need a/c experience.

I know some wings artificially limit the number of FROs for "reasons", but an MO certainly meets at least the minimums.

"That Others May Zoom"

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2018, 05:11:22 PM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 22, 2018, 04:38:32 PM

The current requirements are quoted above and require the member to have been a Pilot or Aircrew,
it doesn't have to be as a member or in a CAP plane, but you do need a/c experience.

I know some wings artificially limit the number of FROs for "reasons", but an MO certainly meets at least the minimums.

In Florida Wing we have to limit the number of FRO's due to the limitations of how many FRO's can be assigned to missions in WIMRS. For wing missions in large wings, you can end up hitting that limit (I believe it's 50) very quickly.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Eclipse

Quote from: DocJekyll on August 22, 2018, 05:41:58 PM
In Florida Wing we have to limit the number of FRO's due to the limitations of how many FRO's can be assigned to missions in WIMRS.

Assigned where?  In the sorties themselves?

"That Others May Zoom"

culpeper

I'm currently starting the Administration specialty track.  I've added Mission Staff Assistant to that.  The latter with GES will allow to request the patch in eServices.  In fact, I've been so busy getting the initial self-study stuff done and getting familiar with personnel that I haven't even obtained any sort of uniform yet.  So yes, you can earn the patch without ever climbing into a Cessna.  You can also take the CERT course if it is offered in your area. 

LSThiker

Quote from: PHall on August 21, 2018, 04:35:26 PM

It dates from the 50's.

According to Civil Air Patrol Uniforms Since 1941, 7th Edition, it dates back to 1961.  The T-6 patch dates to 1966.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: LSThiker on August 23, 2018, 02:28:48 PM

It dates from the 50's.

According to Civil Air Patrol Uniforms Since 1941, 7th Edition, it dates back to 1961.  The T-6 patch dates to 1966.

*T-34.

Spam

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 23, 2018, 03:39:06 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on August 23, 2018, 02:28:48 PM

It dates from the 50's.

*T-34.

Concur. T-34A, to be even more pedantic. B and C model (Turbo Mentors) were USN.

LSThiker

Spam

I can't blame you, LST! 

The original T-6/SNJ trained thousands in service of the defense of freedom, and the current T-6 Texan II is, in the words of one of the original test team pilots I worked with, "a modern day P-51 with an ejection seat".  And don't forget the great movies ion which the original T-6 stood in for a range of Japanese combat aircraft!

Cheers
Spam
(former JPATS/T-6 cockpit engineer/test team member)

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2018, 07:40:02 PM
Quote from: DocJekyll on August 22, 2018, 05:41:58 PM
In Florida Wing we have to limit the number of FRO's due to the limitations of how many FRO's can be assigned to missions in WIMRS.

Assigned where?  In the sorties themselves?

I'd still like to know where these FROs are "assigned".

FROs are "appointed" in eservices, and then they are FROs wherever they go
without Wing boundaries, just like every other ES qual.

Where does this limitation in WMIRS pop up?

"That Others May Zoom"