Previous and Future CAP Uniforms

Started by airtrekker5, December 14, 2010, 05:19:19 PM

HGjunkie

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 16, 2010, 02:55:26 AM

I think I could get behind this....

WHY hasn't anyone mocked something like this up before? Looks great.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

See below for my comment/observation ;D ;D ;D ;)

Quote from: cap235629 on December 16, 2010, 02:56:57 AM

You would have to be behind it for the tapes to be correct  ;D

I love the design, though. That would work, eh?

RiverAux

Actually there are several threads with alternate name tapes that for BDU and ABU that just look fantastic.

BradM

You would have your name and Civil Air Patrol embroidered right on the shirt? no tapes?

The rank and specialty badges would be on a matching green background?
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

DakRadz

Quote from: BradM on December 16, 2010, 03:03:49 AM
You would have your name and Civil Air Patrol embroidered right on the shirt? no tapes?

Actually nowadays with new digi-uniforms they have the tape background match the actual uniform.

See here:

Dunno who Thoele was, but this is a more manageable image. Go JROTC! Heh.

ABUs:

Even the Navy, and you know how slow they are (oh boy, that's gonna cost me ;))

Last but certainly not least, the United States Digital Camouflage pioneers, the Marines!

cap235629

there was a thread kicking around with a mockup using sage green cloth with white thread. It looked great.  Navy blue looked good too and it served a dual purpose as the rank patches already exist for the blue flight suit/field uniform
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JoeTomasone

Quote from: BradM on December 16, 2010, 03:03:49 AM

Well, the "NAME" tape and grade insignia are actually on backgrounds - but ABU pattern.   The "CAP" tape I got lazy on.   And yes, I put 'em on the wrong side.   Sue me.   If it hurts really bad, I'll move 'em around.   :)

Hawk200

Rank insignia would need correcting too.

Hawk200

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 16, 2010, 03:12:57 AM
Well, the "NAME" tape and grade insignia are actually on backgrounds - but ABU pattern.   The "CAP" tape I got lazy on.   And yes, I put 'em on the wrong side.   Sue me.   If it hurts really bad, I'll move 'em around.   :)
Not hurt over it, I just responded to the earlier post before I read this one.

I like the idea of having distinctive tapes, I just don't want anything that looks like the '70's threw up on it.

a2capt

This whole thing with "so someone doesn't launch a missile with direction from a CAP member" is practically lame ..

In the face of J/ROTC and Cadet Alliance, having uniforms that use the same devices and nearly look the same save for the branch name, as their "parent" organizations.

Yeah, the airmen out there must be selectively dumb. ;)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Again, I don't think we need camouflage.

BBDU's for winter and tan BDU's/jumpsuit for summer, with navy-blue insignia.

And...another dreaded replacement for the CSU...I mean well, honest!

It looks a cross between the Tony Nelson and Tony McPeak uniforms and an airline pilot...the AF doesn't wear anything like that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

FARRIER

For the sake of member cost (picking up the surplus through the bases), I hope the ABU's come out sooner than later.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

CAP Producer

Actually Vanguard sold the stock of CSU's to the Chinese.

:D
AL PABON, Major, CAP

flyboy53

Quote from: DBlair on December 14, 2010, 05:35:45 PM
Quote from: airtrekker5 on December 14, 2010, 05:19:19 PM
What did CAP wear before BDUs? Before that?

We used to wear solid olive green fatigues, known as the "pickle suit" to many of us. They were phased out by the early 1990s, but were allowed to be worn for a few more years until around mid-1990s. Ah, the memories.

For a short period of time, the Vietnam "tiger stripe" jungle uniform (with slanted pockets) was also authorized as an additional uniform during the early 1990s.

OD Fatigues (worn tucked in or out):

(Obviously, without the belt, badge, etc.)

A CAP Example:

Just as a comment about the AF Security Police example. That blue pistol belt was never worn with the fatigues...a blue ascot was from time to time. SAC had white ones. The blue belt is a dress uniform item worn, as I remember best, with an updated Ike Jacket that had little metal loops at the bottom of the jacket to reinforce the weight of the belt.

In the uniform pictured, the web gear was green. In training it was worn without suspenders. We would secure a poncho with blousing straps in the back beside the canteen. In the field, mine had "H" suspenders with pouches on the front to accomdate M-16 clips or, in my case, a pouch with straps on each side for clips inside and hand grenads outside, secured by the straps. There was a place for a pouch containing a compass and another containing a field dressing.

I never wore the metal badge with the fatigue uniform. I had two different cloth shields at different times, one black on a white background, the other black on an OD green background...which was always interesting because the standard subdued insignia at the time was dark blue on OD green.

One thing I remember best about the OD greens was that they could be starched like cardboard and would actually stand on their own. The perma press ones that you also show could never be starched successfully and wore out pretty quickly. In those fatigue uniforms, we actually got to wear MA-1 flight jackets with either subued or full color insignia. Some would install a fatigue button and hang their badges from it on a leather strap.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Ned on December 14, 2010, 05:56:44 PM
As it turns out, just last week I was speaking with the CAP-USAF commander on this very issue.  I was reminding him that BDU availability and pricing were becoming significant issues for the CP, and seeking his insight as to when the ABU might be released for CAP.

He told me that the issue is at the Air Staff level; that the USAF is committed to making the ABU available to CAP, and that the sole issue was ensuring that the USAF needs are fully supplied before making the ABU available for CAP use.

He indicated that he would ping it up through the chain to see if there had been any changes.

Ned Lee

ACU= Airman Combat Uniform.   I guess CAP's mission could be changed from "Serving Communities" to "Invading Communities" :angel:

This really is time now to seriously considering all CAP "adult members" into a distinctive CAP utility uniform.  The Blue BDU's and flight coveralls seem to fit the bill for this.  As far as the cadets surely they like to play army that's why they joined CAP, BUT again uniform size wise that may be an issue as far as getting it through DOD channels, since utility uniforms are not issued to CAP cadets anyways.

With the upcoming DOD budget constraints I don't see AF looking at CAP uniforms as a priority item anyways  :clap:.   My vote is to keep those BDU's for at least another 5 years and get the senior members out of anything resembling any military service combat wear, to ensure they are very easily identified as "non combatants" at all time.  That's why we are CIVIL Air Patrol :angel: :angel: :angel:
RM   

DakRadz

ACU= Army Combat Uniform

ABU= Airman Battle Uniform.

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 16, 2010, 01:49:39 PM
ACU= Airman Combat Uniform.
Yeah, no.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 16, 2010, 03:36:27 AM

Rank insignia would need correcting too.

Good Lord, now I know why I have all that stuff sewn on FOR me...   Mea maximua culpa.

Corrected (I hope) version.

MIKE

Quote from: CyBorg on December 16, 2010, 07:22:01 AM

Seasonal utility uniforms?  No thanks.  Pick one.
Mike Johnston

tsrup

Quote from: MIKE on December 16, 2010, 03:49:09 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on December 16, 2010, 07:22:01 AM

Seasonal utility uniforms?  No thanks.  Pick one.

First rule of government spending, why buy one, when you can have two for twice the price.
Paramedic
hang-around.

MIKE

I actually kinda like the tan idea... Could wear the now much more common tan rough-out boots with them instead of black with the blue uniform.  I still say MultiCam is the way to go though.  >:D

My one gripe with the ABU plan is that I don't think CAP needs two different colors of tapes, badges and grade.  Particularly if it must remain distinctive.  I would keep the white on ultramarine blue... Or phase in white on navy as stocks are depleted to appease the blue uniform wearers.
Mike Johnston