Main Menu

CAP Fleet 2018

Started by jfkspotting, October 09, 2018, 03:35:20 AM

jfkspotting

Are we still taking delivery of 172/182/206? When will the maules be gone? Will the 185s be sticking around?

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

We just got a brand new C172 so yes on the C172's.

Live2Learn

Quote from: jfkspotting on October 09, 2018, 03:35:20 AM
Are we still taking delivery of 172/182/206? When will the maules be gone? Will the 185s be sticking around?

What, no drones?  Seems like it's beyond time to leave the 1950's airframes behind.

CAPed Crusader

etodd

Quote from: Live2Learn on October 09, 2018, 08:35:41 PM
Quote from: jfkspotting on October 09, 2018, 03:35:20 AM

What, no drones?  Seems like it's beyond time to leave the 1950's airframes behind.

When you need to search for a plane that left one city and did not land at the destination 400 miles away, a toy drone with 20 minute flights between battery changes, just isn't going to cut it for those missions.  Maybe the AF will buy CAP a Predator.  :)

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Live2Learn

Quote from: Eclipse on October 10, 2018, 01:29:53 AM
Quote from: NIN on October 10, 2018, 01:15:31 AM
Quote from: etodd on October 10, 2018, 12:31:27 AM
Maybe the AF will buy CAP a Predator.  :)

Don't laugh...

Make sure to check the tow bar...

Tain't gonna be even three (3) years till the 100th anniversary of July 1921 sinking of the captured German battleship Ostfriesland by the First Provisional Air Brigade of the U.S. Army Air Service commanded by Brig. General William "Billy" Mitchell.  It was an amazing idea at the time, and he got a lot of push back.  Too bad he was forced to choose between a court martial or resigning his commission.

I wonder if we'll be equally receptive to a new way of doing CAP aviation as we celebrate that anniversary? 

Eclipse

Quote from: Live2Learn on October 10, 2018, 03:17:06 AM
I wonder if we'll be equally receptive to a new way of doing CAP aviation as we celebrate that anniversary?

It's not a matter of accepting the "new way", that's a foregone conclusion.

It's accepting that the "new way" isn't likely to include CAP, certainly not on the scale CAP's aviation program exists today.

But regardless, giving CAP anything on the scale of a Predator would be a bad idea, but as the little fellers in the image say,
That doesn't mean it wold not be fun.

And assuming the unlikely ever happened, it becomes a pet project of a small group like Cell Forensics and Green Flag
- looks good on the annual report, but is irrelevant to the average member.

Set and forget UAVs will be doing SAR, and certainly most of the AP work as soon as the FCC, FAA, and other related
guv'mint agencies can accept the "new way".

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on October 10, 2018, 03:46:36 AM
Quote from: Live2Learn on October 10, 2018, 03:17:06 AM

It's not a matter of accepting the "new way", that's a foregone conclusion.

It's accepting that the "new way" isn't likely to include CAP, certainly not on the scale CAP's aviation program exists today.

But regardless, giving CAP anything on the scale of a Predator would be a bad idea, but as the little fellers in the image say,
That doesn't mean it wold not be fun.

And assuming the unlikely ever happened, it becomes a pet project of a small group like Cell Forensics and Green Flag
- looks good on the annual report, but is irrelevant to the average member.

Set and forget UAVs will be doing SAR, and certainly most of the AP work as soon as the FCC, FAA, and other related
guv'mint agencies can accept the "new way".

Exactly! I believe its an accurate forecast. Its really going to be interesting to see what CAP is doing in 20 years, and what we have in terms of local squadrons
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

sardak

Quote...giving CAP anything on the scale of a Predator would be a bad idea...
There are smaller choices.

Eclipse

Quote from: sardak on October 10, 2018, 05:05:00 AM
Quote...giving CAP anything on the scale of a Predator would be a bad idea...
There are smaller choices.

Exactly.  THANK YOU.  I'm glad to see people starting to understand.

There are at least 9 NINE different drones now on the market.  At least 9!

And some of them don't require specially trained operators and radar trucks to use them.
CAP's vaunted 35 PSI Teams are legendary, but the tech has moved on...

https://www.skydio.com/product/

FWIW, the first mention I can find on this board regarding drones / UAVs was over 11 years ago, making the same points.

The issue isn't the viability of the tech, or its increased use, its CAP's place in an aviation universe that
does not require special operator skills, and where every municipality and sheriffs office has a closet full
of seeker drones they use every day to monitor their AORs.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Live2Learn

Or there's this technology that might create hybid opportunities for ancient airframes and a 'new' concept for "scanners".  Current Mark 1 eyeball relied upon by CAP for 3/4 of a century is, to describe it kindly' way behind the power curve.  Ditto for CAP Aerial Photo tech.

Predator like airframes (and nearly all military hand-me-downs & cast off drones & aircraft) are infeasible for CAP use because of a raft of reasons.  "Ms. FBO A&P, would you annual my Predator & its Hellfire missle for me? Just order necessary parts from Aircraft Spruce and we'll give you a CAP P.O."   :clap:

https://www.aviationtoday.com/2018/10/09/boeing-insitu-integrating-new-camera-payload-remote-id/?marketo_id=30777932&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTlRFelpEWmpaR0U0WldFMCIsInQiOiJVdlRrNEk2aHQwc0NDdEhORFF2T3N2aVdTVHhpdE8rZlRDWGJNTnd4QWZEZlJlbGRNWG90VTBDdGVXVjlKWURtOEVTNmJUemp6Tzc4MWh0a0JwWHpVelNXOXhwSm4yaU16bmhVMFlkWmJcLzdxWUJoVk9nNWx6ekFweEc4WGZ2TjIifQ%3D%3D