ABU: Squadron patches and rocketry patch.

Started by Damron, July 24, 2016, 09:13:46 PM

Damron

While at NESA, I received a reply from National about the latest update.  They confirmed prohibition of ES patches and Ranger tabs on the ABU.  Errors and omissions accidentally excluded squadron patches and the rocketry patch, both are authorized.   They didn't specify the placement of the squadron patch.  Awaiting response on that item.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Damron on July 24, 2016, 09:13:46 PM
While at NESA, I received a reply from National about the latest update.  They confirmed prohibition of ES patches and Rangers tabs on the ABU.  Errors and omissions accidentally excluded squadron patches and the rocketry patch, both are authorized.   They didn't specify the placement of the squadron patch.  Awaiting response on that item.

As far as I can determine from the new change letter, which allows 1 full color patch on either the left or right breast pocket, you can wear the MRB on the left pocket, and your unit patch on the right. Both are centered on the pocket below the flap.

It's not rocket science. The language stipulates 1 patch, full color, on each pocket. People have fretted and worried that unit patches are going away. I don't think so. Could be wrong, but if the NUC de-authorizes unit patches, all hell will break loose IMO. They're trying to reduce the number of patches so we don't look like...well, like a bunch of wannabes with color. I'm only going to put on my name, CAP tape, rank insignia, and unit patch. I'm not even going to put on my S/GTL or observer wings.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Damron

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 24, 2016, 09:19:00 PM
It's not rocket science. The language stipulates 1 patch, full color, on each pocket. People have fretted and worried that unit patches are going away. I don't think so. Could be wrong, but if the NUC de-authorizes unit patches, all hell will break loose IMO. They're trying to reduce the number of patches so we don't look like...well, like a bunch of wannabes with color. I'm only going to put on my name, CAP tape, rank insignia, and unit patch. I'm not even going to put on my S/GTL or observer wings.

It's not rocket science, yet the July update was full of holes. 

It didn't mention squadron patches at all and they went out of their way to specify patches in 8-1 to 8-3 which don't include squadron patches (or the rocketry patch).

As I mentioned, National has responded that squadron patches were excluded by mistake. 

PHall

Quote from: Damron on July 24, 2016, 09:41:05 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on July 24, 2016, 09:19:00 PM

It's not rocket science, yet the July update was full of holes. 

It didn't mention squadron patches at all and they went out of their way to specify patches in 8-1 to 8-3 which don't include squadron patches (or the rocketry patch).

As I mentioned, National has responded that squadron patches were excluded by mistake.

Well, until that is published, it still means nothing. The Attachment to CAPM 39-1 that authorizes unit patches to be worn on BDU's, Attachment 4, is not even mentioned in either of the ABU Wear Instructions. And until it is, unit patches are not authorized on the ABU.

Chappie

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

DakRadz

Quote from: Chappie on July 24, 2016, 11:00:50 PM
I like the clean, sanitized look :)
It's become quite popular in CAPSOC, combined with velcro name/branch tape.

You know, for downed aircraft in the dangerous US-Canadia borderlands.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Brad

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 24, 2016, 09:19:00 PMI'm not even going to put on my S/GTL or observer wings.

Observer wings are required on ABUs same as on everything else.

QuoteAviation and Occupational Badges. Two Aviation or Occupational badges embroidered in silver on dark blue may be worn sewn to the shirt ½ inch above the "Civil Air Patrol tape over the left breast pocket. The second badge will be centered ½ inch above the first badge. Chaplain and CAP aviation badges are mandatory and will always be worn in the highest position. Not more than a combined total of two of these badges will be worn on the wearer's left. When more than one CAP aviation badge is authorized, only one will be worn. If a military aviation badge (aeronautical, space or cyberspace) is worn, it will be worn in the second position. If chaplain badge is worn, it is worn in the higher position. Parachutist wings are optional; however, when worn will be placed above an occupational badge or below a chaplain, aeronautical, space or cyberspace badge. Occupational badges (excluding chaplain) are optional. All light silver on dark blue insignia will have 1/8 inch of blue showing at the widest and tallest point of the insignia.

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

PHall

Quote from: Chappie on July 24, 2016, 11:00:50 PM
I like the clean, sanitized look :)

The only "required" insignia on the ABU are name tape, CAP tape, grade insignia and CAP Chaplain/Aviation badges.
Everything else is optional....  And I'm choosing the "not going to wear it" option!

Garibaldi

I could see that if you are a current MO/MP. Mine were earned nearly 20 years ago, and I am nowhere near current. I used to wear them all the time until that one SAREX where they were short an MO and I got the stink eye when I told them I was not current. Now they stay off, except on the aviator shirt.

Jester

The AF intentionally got rid of unit and majcom patches when it went to ABUs. Certain people groused and stomped their feet, "all hell breaking loose" was predicted, and after a year everyone was over it.

PHall

Quote from: Jester on July 25, 2016, 03:02:45 AM
The AF intentionally got rid of unit and majcom patches when it went to ABUs. Certain people groused and stomped their feet, "all hell breaking loose" was predicted, and after a year everyone was over it.

All hell was supposed to break loose when DADT was repealed. Didn't happen then either.

Luis R. Ramos

But... but... but we are CAP, not the Air Force!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 25, 2016, 02:43:40 AM
I could see that if you are a current MO/MP. Mine were earned nearly 20 years ago, and I am nowhere near current. I used to wear them all the time until that one SAREX where they were short an MO and I got the stink eye when I told them I was not current. Now they stay off, except on the aviator shirt.
Tell the nay-sayers to stuff it. Aeronautical badges, once awarded, are permanent, unless specifically revoked. Currency doesn't matter.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Sketch

Why would you not want to wear a rating you've earned?

Sketch

duplicate, delete

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Sketch on July 25, 2016, 06:28:31 AM
Why would you not want to wear a rating you've earned?

Refer back to the "simple, clean look" comments.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 25, 2016, 03:50:08 AM
Tell the nay-sayers to stuff it. Aeronautical badges, once awarded, are permanent, unless specifically revoked. Currency doesn't matter.

+1 Not to mention you don't fill crew assignments by wandering around looking at uniforms and insignia.
Who is current in what qual is supposed to be a key document in Admin or Planning.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Jester on July 25, 2016, 03:02:45 AM

And now they have "morale" t-shirts of various colors to promote unit pride and morale once a week.  A bright pink or neon green t-shirt with ABUs does not look better than the subdued patches we wore on BDUs.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2016, 03:15:42 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 25, 2016, 03:50:08 AM

+1 Not to mention you don't fill crew assignments by wandering around looking at uniforms and insignia.
Who is current in what qual is supposed to be a key document in Admin or Planning.

This was well before WMIRS was even a thought. I'm a ground pounder, so I wear the GT badge. I am no longer AC qualified and probably never will be again.

Shuman 14

QuoteThey confirmed prohibition of ES patches and Ranger tabs on the ABU.

Is that the Hawk Mountain Ranger or the Military Ranger tab that is prohibited or both?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present