ABU: Squadron patches and rocketry patch.

Started by Damron, July 24, 2016, 09:13:46 PM

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2016, 01:16:08 AM
I know about IRR, but what's "retired reserve"?

Members of the National Guard and Reserves are assigned to one of three reserve component categories:

Selected Reserve (AGR, IMA, and TPUs)
Ready Reserve (inactive but not retired)
Retired Reserve (retired)

grunt82abn

Retired Reserve is the IRR for retirees. You still get some benefits which makes a reserve retirement better. I was one of the many that put in for a normal retirement, and was put into the IRR based on critical skill MOS's back when OIF and OEF were still going heavy. So I got that going for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

grunt82abn

Quote from: LSThiker on August 14, 2016, 01:22:43 AM

Members of the National Guard and Reserves are assigned to one of three reserve component categories:

Much better explanation than I gave. My brain is fried from a very long 72 hour shift!!!

Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

skymaster

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on August 13, 2016, 02:23:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 13, 2016, 02:43:44 AM
Quote from: Jester on August 13, 2016, 02:42:48 AM

Quote from: Eclipse on August 13, 2016, 01:42:03 AM
Where does it go on the field uniform if the wing requires the wing patch?

My assumption is that the tab would be a half-inch below the shoulder seam with the wing patch grounded and centered below the tab.

Cite please.  There is no allowance for either the tab by itself or to have two patches in that place.

Actually as far as placement goes AFI 36-2903 says to refer to the sister services wear policy which in this case would be the AR 670-1.

Here is an AF news story with the Ranger tab being worn on ABUs in accordance with AF Regs.  http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/473252/airman-ranger-completes-grueling-army-training-school.aspx  I would agree that the wing patch should be shifted down an appropriate amount. Back in the day, I actually saw a Wing patch shifted down in that manner, as instructed at that time by NHQ for a few members of my Wing who had earned Airborne, Ranger, and Special Forces tabs. (My squadron was located in a military town which was the location of one of the schools for those specialties, so we had quite a few retired operators in our squadron who had earned such distinctions in Army service).

Eclipse

Quote from: skymaster on August 14, 2016, 04:46:28 AM
Here is an AF news story with the Ranger tab being worn on ABUs in accordance with AF Regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Meridius

Airborne "tab" only goes on (any) uniform if you are assigned to that unit.  101st "Airborne" Division is now the 101st "Air Assault" Division and wears (or will be wearing) "air assault."  When you leave an airborne unit, you put on the gaining unit's organizational patch and remove the airborne tab.  Ranger, Special Forces and Sapper (probably a couple of others) remain on the field duty uniforms and are metal tabs on the Class A uniform (Army).  Air Force does not keep the attached unit's patches and several badges are removed from the uniform when reassigned (I will the my Air Force Brethren discuss that if they choose).

Y'all were busy last night!

Oath of Enlistment:

I, (your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (10 U.S.C. 502.  Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

Oath of Office (Office of Personnel Management)

I, (your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.  (5 U.S.C. ยง3331).

They were initially created in 1789, by the 1st United States Congress the constitutional requirement of military and civilian billets and has been slightly modified since.  There was no standing army at the time and were made up of state levies of citizen soldiers (hence the 2nd Amendment) contracted for service.  There is no oath of delistment or leaving office.  Only adjudication through due process, as well as your freedom, or death will relieve anyone of their burdens of the oath.  The framers of the Constitution were statesmen and visionaries, not the ridiculous, self-serving politicians of today.  Many served in the Revolution or materially supported it. 

We really moved far on this thread from the initial subject.

Nick

Quote from: Damron on August 14, 2016, 12:29:16 AM
That's interesting, I wasn't aware that it was extended beyond retired commissioned (unrestricted)  line officers.

Here's another way to look at it. As long as Uncle Sugar sends you a check, you owe him something. In this case, it's keeping your name below the standby reserve list.

Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

LSThiker

Quote from: Meridius on August 14, 2016, 12:22:31 PM
Airborne "tab" only goes on (any) uniform if you are assigned to that unit.  101st "Airborne" Division is now the 101st "Air Assault" Division and wears (or will be wearing) "air assault." 

Airborne tab is part of the SSI and does not refer to being assigned to that unit.  That is, as a SSI-FWTS a person still continues wearing the tab even though no longer assigned to that unit. 

Also, the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) will remain as such.  There are no plans to change the SSI and not one recommendation has been sent to the TIOH for a change that I am aware of.  The Division wants to keep its current SSI as a manner of tradition and the Army has no plans to force them.  Back in May 2016, there was a hoax going around that the Army Times reported a change to the SSI.  This was a spoof from ThemGrunts.com with extremely good Photoshop skills to make the tab look real. 

There was a period of time in the Army that any unit that was on "jump status" would start wearing the Airborne Tab (e.g. 44th Med).  This was wrong as the DoA never approved an Airborne Tab as part of the SSI.  In 2011, ALARACT 435/2011 came out that put an end to this overuse of Airborne Tabs:

Quote1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO CLARIFY THE POLICY FOR WEAR OF
THE AIRBORNE TAB.

2. THE SAPPER, RANGER, SPECIAL FORCES AND PRESIDENT'S HUNDRED TABS
ARE THE ONLY SPECIAL SKILL OR MARKSMANSHIP TABS AUTHORIZED FOR
PERMANENT WEAR. THE AIRBORNE TAB IS CONSIDERED AN INTEGRAL PART OF
THE SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA (SSI). AIRBORNE TABS ARE ONLY AUTHORIZED
TO BE WORN ABOVE THE SSI IF ASSIGNED TO ONE OF THE UNITS BELOW:

18TH AVIATION BRIGADE
82D AIRBORNE DIVISION
95TH CIVIL AFFAIRS BRIGADE
101ST AIRBORNE DIVISION
173D AIRBORNE BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM
360TH CIVIL AFFAIRS BRIGADE
528TH SUSTAINMENT BRIGADE
JOINT READINESS TRAINING CENTER OPERATIONS GROUP & HEADQUARTERS
SPECIAL FORCES GROUPS (AIRBORNE)
US ARMY CIVIL AFFAIRS & PSYCHOLOGICAL COMMAND
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND AFRICA
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND CENTRAL
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND EUROPE
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND KOREA
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND PACIFIC
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND SOUTH
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND, JOINT FORCES COMMAND
US ARMY ELEMENT, US SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
US ARMY JOHN F. KENNEDY SPECIAL WARFARE CENTER
US ARMY PARACHUTE TEAM
US ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
XVIII AIRBORNE CORPS

3. WEAR OF THE AIRBORNE TAB WITH ANY OTHER SSI IS NOT AUTHORIZED.
REQUEST COMMANDERS ENSURE THAT POLICY FOR WEAR IS ADHERED TO, AND
ANY UNIT OR SOLDIER NOT AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THE AIRBORNE TAB
REMOVES IT.

Shuman 14

Quote from: LSThiker on August 14, 2016, 01:22:43 AM

This should explain it:

http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/About/FactSheets/Display/tabid/310/Article/580958/retired-reserve.aspx
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present