Updated ABU Wear Instructions

Started by Eclipse, July 13, 2016, 04:18:12 AM

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on July 24, 2016, 08:49:32 PM
Saw a cadet wearing the SARDOG just now in a video piece, same feature had another with the !@#$ luggage tape
as the branch tape.

Not going to narc them out here, but look around at your people and SAY SOMETHING.

:o

Looks like units are going to have to start policing themselves. My unit has about 0 interest, maybe 2 cadets out of 38, who want them right now. The others are either ageing out or have just purchased new BDUs, so they're not real interested in change. But I've made it clear on what to wear and what not to wear, so there should be no issues on our end. If there are, we'll deal with it. Our unit already has a moratorium on the SARDOG patch.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Okayish Aviator

I was at a SAREX this last weekend where another senior member who was at the group level stated that the wear updates for both ABU's and anything else preclude using the new tapes on the BDU's and Blue utilities. This came from the wording seemingly having not being updated with any of the other uniforms.

My impression is that CAP is moving completely away from UM Blue tapes and specialty/aviation badges and that it's been ok to switch over. Obviously I think we've all seen the new tapes on BDU's and Blue Utilities, and I'm sure the intention is to move away completely from the UM blue, but can anyone chime in on specifics regarding wear of new tapes on the Blue Utility Uniform or BDU's? Not trying to rock the boat but I'd love some specifics if possible that we can use regarding all uniforms until the new 39-1 is finalized.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

DakRadz

This is from the original change announcement. The later updates are ABU specific.

3. The phase in period for wear of the ABU will begin on 15 June 2016. Members will wear
the ABU with the dark blue tapes and insignia as outlined in the attached wear instructions.
Vanguard will begin accepting orders for the new devices on 15 June 2016. The Battle Dress
Uniform (BDU) may continue to be worn until the mandatory phase out date of 15 June 2021.
CAP will also begin to transition to dark blue tapes on the Corporate field uniform and BDUs
with a mandatory wear date of 15 June 2021. Members are not required to change the tapes
on existing uniforms until the mandatory wear date; however, all devices on the uniform must
match. The attached wear instructions will constitute regulatory guidance on the wear of the
ABU until a revision to CAP Manual 39-1 is released.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 24, 2016, 09:21:35 PM

:o

Looks like units are going to have to start policing themselves. My unit has about 0 interest, maybe 2 cadets out of 38, who want them right now. The others are either ageing out or have just purchased new BDUs, so they're not real interested in change. But I've made it clear on what to wear and what not to wear, so there should be no issues on our end. If there are, we'll deal with it. Our unit already has a moratorium on the SARDOG patch.

+1.  Zero immediate interest, for Senior Members and cadets alike.  I don't understand the reluctance to self-police.  It's quite easy and there's no need to be offensive, merely firm.

LTC Don

Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

winterg

Quote from: LTC Don on July 25, 2016, 01:46:38 PM
What was the deal about the ES patch?

http://www.newspressnow.com/news/local_news/article_a412d7f6-d4cf-5725-a40c-952cd7343c67.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

And, that is a CAP c/Capt to the left, yes?
ES patch is not authorized on ABU per current guidance. 

Not trying to shame any cadets pictured. But for photos like this to make it into the public, the member has to set up their uniform after (ideally) consulting policy. Every member SHOULD have a supervisor or mentor that SHOULD be responsible for their members.  Especially when rolling out a new uniform.  That member wears the uniform at a CAP event around other members that would presumably have one member that was familiar with said policy not being followed. And photographs being taken at CAP events not being vetted by anyone before being put into public domain.  It is business as usual. But if you bring up these issues, then you are just focusing too much on uniforms and not the mission.

Edited because I accidentally hit send before I was finished. 

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

foo

Quote from: winterg on July 25, 2016, 01:48:36 PM

http://www.newspressnow.com/news/local_news/article_a412d7f6-d4cf-5725-a40c-952cd7343c67.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

Not trying to shame any cadets pictured. But for photos like this to make it into the public, the member has to set up their uniform after (ideally) consulting policy. Every member SHOULD have a supervisor or mentor that SHOULD be responsible for their members.  Especially when rolling out a new uniform.  That member wears the uniform at a CAP event around other members that would presumably have one member that was familiar with said policy not being followed. And photographs being taken at CAP events not being vetted by anyone before being put into public domain.  It is business as usual. But if you bring up these issues, then you are just focusing too much on uniforms and not the mission.

Concur 100% that it's BAU in many squadrons on up.

Quote from: CAPR 20-1
Squadron commanders... shall:

Ensure proper wear of the uniform and that violations are promptly corrected.

stillamarine

Quote from: winterg on July 25, 2016, 01:48:36 PM

The PAO also should not have allowed a picture with personnel wearing the uniform incorrectly.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

arajca

The cadet was likely told to set up the ABU same as the BDU. I will pick on the C/Capt for wearing his grade insignia incorrectly.

grunt82abn

How do you police individuals who believe this organization is nothing more than a voluntary chaperone gig? I was told that the CAPR 39-1 is more of a guideline and suggestion, than it is a regulation.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

stillamarine

Quote from: grunt82abn on July 25, 2016, 03:07:49 PM
How do you police individuals who believe this organization is nothing more than a voluntary chaperone gig? I was told that the CAPR 39-1 is more of a guideline and suggestion, than it is a regulation.

Even volunteer organizations have rules.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

foo

The "R" in CAPR 39-1 stands for Regulation. Commanders need to do their jobs -- educate and enforce.

Senior members who join just to be a chaperone (and we do need them) should be in the Cadet Sponsor membership category, where the only uniform they need be concerned with is the polo shirt.

Eclipse

1 - You set the tone and the expectation in your own wear and behavior.

2 - You don't avoid the uncomfortable conversations no matter who it is or what their grade.

3 - You direct corrections privately and discreetly, or in general all-hands type messages (after the visible issues are corrected).

"Cadet, I understand the confusion, but that insignia isn't authorized.  Luckily it'll be a quick fix to remove it, but it needs to
be done before you can participate today.  Next time ask before you sew things on which are optional."

"Colonel, I noticed you're still wearing a wing patch on your blues, those were removed over 10 years ago.  We all need to set the
example, and I promise you if I noticed, others already have as well..."

In the case noted, it could be corrected in the van on the way to the flight line.

Also, for the record, I specifically didn't link to the photo because it was a cadet, and we're not supposed to do that here anymore,
but I guess discretion was too much to ask in what only needed to be a general conversation?

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: neummy on July 25, 2016, 03:20:36 PM

The "R" in CAPR 39-1 stands for Regulation. Commanders need to do their jobs -- educate and enforce.

Senior members who join just to be a chaperone (and we do need them) should be in the Cadet Sponsor membership category, where the only uniform they need be concerned with is the polo shirt.

Well, to be fair, 39-1 is not regulation.  It is a manual, thus CAPM 39-1.  That being said, right at the beginning, it says Compliance with this publication is mandatory.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

foo

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 25, 2016, 03:22:43 PM

Well, to be fair, 39-1 is not regulation.  It is a manual, thus CAPM 39-1.  That being said, right at the beginning, it says Compliance with this publication is mandatory.

Oops. Good catch, and thanks for the correction.

grunt82abn

Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2016, 03:21:35 PM

1 - You set the tone and the expectation in your own wear and behavior.

2 - You don't avoid the uncomfortable conversations no matter who it is or what their grade.

3 - You direct corrections privately and discreetly, or in general all-hands type messages (after the visible issues are corrected).

"Cadet, I understand the confusion, but that insignia isn't authorized.  Luckily it'll be a quick fix to remove it, but it needs to
be done before you can participate today.  Next time ask before you sew things on which are optional."

"Colonel, I noticed you're still wearing a wing patch on your blues, those were removed over 10 years ago.  We all need to set the
example, and I promise you if I noticed, others already have as well..."

In the case noted, it could be corrected in the van on the way to the flight line.

Also, for the record, I specifically didn't link to the photo because it was a cadet, and we're not supposed to do that here anymore,
but I guess discretion was too much to ask in what only needed to be a general conversation?

The issue is not/are not in my squadron, didn't deal with cadets, and both times I was in public, and I was on duty at my job. The points you made were all valid and spot on! I do lead by example when in uniform, and keep a very high standard of appearance, something I have carried over after 21 years in the military. I also know how to make an on the spot correction discreetly. I did try very discreetly on two separate occasions to make an on the spot correction. The first time I was informed by one of these individuals that " We are more relaxed in this squadron versus other squadrons." To which I left it at that, and went about my business. The other instance, the SM was in board shorts, a "Sex Wax" tank, and crocks. When I asked if he was one of the parent chaperones, he said," I'm what you would call a Senior Member" and continued like everything was cool. I couldn't say anything because it was during a tour at my job, and the last thing I needed was drama caused by making an on the spot correction. At least his cadets looked decent, and were in the proper uniform. 

No matter how hard the majority of squared away CAP members try and enforce the rules and regulations, some are just not going to follow. In my short tenure in CAP, I have seen some squadrons that are aces, and some that are total duds. Some people have no self pride, or discipline to wear a military uniform, but are allowed to continue as SM in CAP. At the end of the day, as a senior member, I really have no authority to do anything to SM in my unit or outside my unit. I can't demand to see an ID, I can't put people at parade rest, can't write counseling statements, and I can't force them to talk to me " Off to the side". The only thing I might be able to do, is discreetly get a name and run it up the my chain, and even then I would be surprised if any corrective action would be done.   
Sean Riley, TSGT

GaryVC

Quote from: Wanda on July 14, 2016, 05:44:06 PM
I can say the same for down.  You didn't answer the question.

That's what I see at Nellis AFB. I have never seen anyone wearing ABUs with the sleeves rolled up. It is darned hot here this time of year as well.

NIN

Oh, here we go again.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

grunt82abn

Quote from: NIN on July 25, 2016, 04:28:24 PM

Oh, here we go again.

No worries, at least I got the 39-1 part correct, and knew it dealt with wear and appearance of the CAP uniform
Sean Riley, TSGT

RogueLeader

Quote from: neummy on July 25, 2016, 03:26:52 PM

Oops. Good catch, and thanks for the correction.

It happens.  I hope that others would correct me when I'm wrong to.

Quote from: grunt82abn on July 25, 2016, 04:30:37 PM
Quote from: NIN on July 25, 2016, 04:28:24 PM

Oh, here we go again.

No worries, at least I got the 39-1 part correct, and knew it dealt with wear and appearance of the CAP uniform

???
WYWG DP

GRW 3340