Updated ABU Wear Instructions

Started by Eclipse, July 13, 2016, 04:18:12 AM

Damron

Quote from: Fubar on July 28, 2016, 04:25:10 AM
Got it. When representing the Civil Air Patrol, one does not have to wear a Civil Air Patrol uniform.

Sorry, I get confused easily. But at least now I know it's OK blend in as needed (not that our official polo is that attention getting, but sometimes my grey pants aren't clean).

If you are confused, ask your unit commander.  If you are the national commander, use your own judgement. 

Oshkosh in July can be brutal and captains of industry often wear t-shirts and shorts.  Our national commander was dressed appropriately, didn't violate any CAP regulations, and didn't upstage his peers. 

Chappie

And for inquiring minds....the cadet (Jodie Gawthrop)  in the picture with Harrison Ford was wearing the polo that belongs to the National Commander's wife.  She won this flight with the Experimental Aircraft Association's Young Eagle program.  This tid-bit was shared during the National Conference.  Share this for two reasons:

1) the polo is not available to members through Vanguard.  It is a NHQ staff shirt;

2) CAP does take seriously the idea of branding.  Great photo op -- needed to get something CAP in the frame :)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Eclipse

Quote from: Chappie on September 14, 2016, 03:20:40 PM
2) CAP does take seriously the idea of branding. 

As someone involved in "branding" professionally.  I would have to disagree.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Quote from: Chappie on September 14, 2016, 03:20:40 PM
1) the polo is not available to members through Vanguard.  It is a NHQ staff shirt;

Musta missed that chapter in M39-1 that prescribes the NHQ uniform.

2) CAP does take seriously the idea of branding.  Great photo op -- needed to get something CAP in the frame :)

I look forward to our uniform being changed to this new polo that has CAP on it, since our other uniforms apparently don't contribute to the brand and CAP takes branding very seriously.

Fubar

Quote from: Damron on September 14, 2016, 01:37:31 PM
If you are confused, ask your unit commander.  If you are the national commander, use your own judgement.

I'm pretty sure the CAP/CC outranks my unit commander. If it's good enough for the national commander, it's good enough for me. I have EOC duty coming up for a statewide exercise where a number of captains of industry, so to speak, will be located. I can easily follow the example being set by our leader.

Ned

Quote from: Fubar on September 14, 2016, 05:46:14 PM

Why would you think the 39-1 should address the clothing for non-member corporate employees?

Chappie

I often travel in or attend community functions/various events wearing a CAP polo that I have received at National Staff College, a Chaplain Corps Region Staff College, or some other CAP event/activity that is not the uniform blue polo.   It is something that identifies me with CAP ... maybe I used the wrong term "branding"....but the polo worn both Gen Vazquez and the young cadet while at the Oshkosh EAA fly-in certainly displayed the distinctive CAP affiliation/identification.

Damron

When and if it becomes a uniform it will find a home in 39-1.

DakRadz

Quote from: Ned on September 14, 2016, 06:02:51 PM

Why would you think the 39-1 should address the clothing for non-member corporate employees?
Just to repeat what Ned said. Nat CC is not just a member. He's also corporate.

1st Lt Raduenz

Luis R. Ramos

Maybe because he thought, like I did, that Corporate Employees are to behave as members?

Ned, maybe it is clear to all those that have had NHQ, Region, and Wing responsibilities, but maybe the majority of us never heard that CE were NOT members!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 14, 2016, 09:05:19 PM
Maybe because he thought, like I did, that Corporate Employees are to behave as members?

Ned, maybe it is clear to all those that have had NHQ, Region, and Wing responsibilities, but maybe the majority of us never heard that CE were NOT members!

Why would you assume that someone referred to as Ms. Susie Parker, or any other staffer who goes by Mr/Ms/Mrs/Dr, and NEVER by grade, are members?

Ned

Some corporate employees are members, most are not.  They do not wear CAP uniforms while performing their work.  They wear appropriate corporate attire.  For things like conferences, they have some nifty shirts and jackets to help us identify them.  Like the polo illustrated earlier in this thread.

And yes, the National Commander / CEO is a member.

Normally there is not a great deal of confusion about who is a member and who is a corporate employee.

Luis R. Ramos

See Ned's reply. Some of them... ARE members! This is where the confusion starts...
Squadron Safety Officer

Chappie

Bottom line: there is a philosophy in play - "One CAP - One Team".  Either you are on NHQ staff (corporate employee or volunteer) or you're not.  No confusion there ....if you are a member of CAP and as a volunteer serve on the NHQ staff, just check your duty assignment and unit number in eServices.  It should read NHQ 001. 

Fubar

I didn't consider the national commander a non-member corporate employee. Was I wrong?

FW

Quote from: Fubar on September 15, 2016, 06:00:52 AM

I didn't consider the national commander a non-member corporate employee. Was I wrong?

The (current) National Commander is most certainly a member, and serves as the Chief Executive Officer of CAP.  He is a corporate officer, and NOT an employee.  He is the sole arbitrator of his wardrobe, and by virtue of his position, decides what is appropriate attire for CAP business.   It shouldn't be a heavy lift to figure this out....

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer

N6RVT

Quote from: FW on September 15, 2016, 12:50:46 PM
Quote from: Fubar on September 15, 2016, 06:00:52 AM

The (current) National Commander is most certainly a member, and serves as the Chief Executive Officer of CAP.  He is a corporate officer, and NOT an employee.  He is the sole arbitrator of his wardrobe, and by virtue of his position, decides what is appropriate attire for CAP business.   It shouldn't be a heavy lift to figure this out....

The NHQ "Uniform" is in fact actually "Organizational Clothing" which exists in CAP in vast quantities.  Virtually every level of command and every major school issues or sells them.  They are not uniforms, but are frequently worn to a wide variety of activities as uniforms are only required under the following conditions:

1.2.4.2. Members are normally required to wear a CAP uniform (either USAF- or Corporate-style) when working with cadets, when flying in a CAP aircraft (Corporate or member owned aircraft used in a CAP flight activity), or when conducting business under a CAP mission number (A, B,or C).

Outside of the above, you can wear your  region staff college polo, your NESA T Shirt, or anything else you may have to anything you want.

USACAP

General officers are also allowed to bend uniform rules and prescribe uniform mods within reasonable limits (no spiked helmets).
Why should GOs in the USAF's auxiliary be any different?

Quote from: FW on September 15, 2016, 12:50:46 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: USACAP on September 19, 2016, 03:20:36 AM
General officers are also allowed to bend uniform rules and prescribe uniform mods within reasonable limits (no spiked helmets).
Why should GOs in the USAF's auxiliary be any different?

CAP officers don't hold a commission, therefore they have no implied or extra-regulatory authority.

The entirety of a CAP member's authority come directly from the Constitution and By-Laws, if it's not in there, they
can't do it, any more then POTUS can just make things up on a whim.

There is also no legitimate reason to allow for whim-based action in a CAP context.

"That Others May Zoom"