Updated ABU Wear Instructions

Started by Eclipse, July 13, 2016, 04:18:12 AM

DakRadz

If everyone else is going to be in a non uniform polo, shouldn't we not attempt to draw divisions with others?

I don't see the issue in the given context.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

dwb

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2016, 06:11:54 PM
Quote from: Fubar on July 27, 2016, 05:57:47 PM
In case you don't know, that's our national commander in the middle. As the guy in charge, he sets the tone and expectations. Even if you don't like his tone or expectations.

I honestly don't know what point you are trying to make here.

He's pointing out that CAP/CC isn't in uniform. Not even official CAP polo.

Which, you know, he's not really at a CAP activity there.

Luis R. Ramos

Hope you are not referring to the other two guys in the picture.

I expect them to be the directors of AOPA and EAA, and not CAP members. Without words, we cannot be sure, but if I understand this photo, must have been taken during or at the end of Blue Beret...

Please identify the guys in the picture and when / where was it taken...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Pictured are EAA CEO & Chairman Jack J. Pelton (right) and AOPA President Mark Baker (left) who were presented
a CGM by Maj Gen Vasquez at the opening of Air Venture in recognition of both organization's support of CAP.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=6c07aa65-fd8a-4e43-83f2-512e75759e0b

I have no idea how this is related to the comment about a commander setting the tone for his people, considering this
was not a CAP activity, nor did it involve members, per se.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2016, 06:40:22 PM
Pictured are EAA CEO & Chairman Jack J. Pelton (right) and AOPA President Mark Baker (left) who were presented
a CGM by Maj Gen Vasquez at the opening of Air Venture in recognition of both organization's support of CAP.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=6c07aa65-fd8a-4e43-83f2-512e75759e0b

I have no idea how this is related to the comment about a commander setting the tone for his people, considering this
+1, quite honestly.

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2016, 06:40:22 PM

If he is at the event as a representative of CAP (which seems to be the case), then he should be in a CAP uniform. 

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on July 27, 2016, 09:51:03 PM
If he is at the event as a representative of CAP (which seems to be the case), then he should be in a CAP uniform.

It's a valid argument, but as is pointed out regularly here, uniforms are actually only required within a fairly
narrow lane of activities, and as this is not a CAP activity, there's nothing really wrong with logowear that matches the
dress of the others in attendance.

He seems to be representing CAP positively, and would be setting an appropriate tone for other members in attendance (if there were any).

For those signed into Blue Beret, the precautionary SAR, or working recruiting, then certainly an actual uniform would be appropriate and required,
but in this case, I don't see the issue, nor how this fits the conversation regarding the tone set by commanders.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Since he was presenting an award to members of another organization, wearing a uniform, even the CAP polo would have been more appropriate.  He is representing CAP but is not wearing an approved CAP uniform so what kind of message does that send to the other members?  He is actually adding to the uniform problem.

A good test that I use of if a uniform is appropriate for an activity is this: Am I doing anything on behalf of CAP?  Yes (wear a uniform) / No (don't wear a uniform).  For me it is just that simple.  If I went to the event in that picture as a spectator I would either just wear regular clothing or something to identify that I am part of CAP (like a t-shirt or non-uniform polo).

Luis R. Ramos

How do YOU know the two other gentlemen are wearing a uniform, and not just informal clothing? It may be possible that Gen Vazquez knows they wear informal clothing and is following their tone...

???
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

To me this is no different then a member wearing a tuxedo to a CAP banquet, etc., where others
are in mess dress.

Uniform not required, proper tone set, and doing so in a way that doesn't violate the regs or core values.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

Just an observation....the polo that Gen Vazquez is wearing happens to be the type of polo that you will find employees/members of NHQ staff wearing (you will see them worn at the upcoming conference).  That particular polo is not leisure wear easily obtained from Vanguard.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Eclipse

^ And as CEO in addition to National Commander, you could argue that is an appropriate uniform.

Though the counter would be that the CGM was awarded for war-time service, so a more martial appearance would be appropriate.

This is so exciting!

"That Others May Zoom"

ProdigalJim

There's also something known as "blending in." I've had conversations with the FAA Administrator or NTSB Chair in past years at Oshkosh while they were  wearing khakis or even shorts. Oshkosh is an extremely laid-back event. Showing up in Full Martial would have been unusual...
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Fubar

Got it. When representing the Civil Air Patrol, one does not have to wear a Civil Air Patrol uniform.

Sorry, I get confused easily. But at least now I know it's OK blend in as needed (not that our official polo is that attention getting, but sometimes my grey pants aren't clean).

Eclipse

si fueris Romae, Romano vivito more; si fueris alibi, vivito sicut ibi

"That Others May Zoom"

ColonelJack

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2016, 04:44:03 AM

That's easy for you to say, Bob.   :)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: ColonelJack on July 28, 2016, 10:54:04 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2016, 04:44:03 AM

That's easy for you to say, Bob.   :)

Jack

I don't think that's easy for ANYONE to say Jack. ;)

There was probably a conversation had about appropriate attire for the event. In the past, I've seen national commanders or other visitors show up to NBB/Oshkosh in dress blues, or BDU's to meet with FAA, EAA guys, (not to mention driving around in rented yellow mustang GT's with CAP funds). Holy crap did that feel and look awkward amidst the cargo shorts and sweaty T-shirts or polos. I believe the Maj. Gen. did a very classy and respectable job choosing his attire, and people should probably lay off. lol

Those of you who were around during the dark ages know what and who I'm talking about. 8)

Aj
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

GaryVC

Quote from: DakRadz on July 25, 2016, 03:26:39 AM
This is from the original change announcement. The later updates are ABU specific.

3. The phase in period for wear of the ABU will begin on 15 June 2016. Members will wear
the ABU with the dark blue tapes and insignia as outlined in the attached wear instructions.
Vanguard will begin accepting orders for the new devices on 15 June 2016. The Battle Dress
Uniform (BDU) may continue to be worn until the mandatory phase out date of 15 June 2021.
CAP will also begin to transition to dark blue tapes on the Corporate field uniform and BDUs
with a mandatory wear date of 15 June 2021. Members are not required to change the tapes
on existing uniforms until the mandatory wear date; however, all devices on the uniform must
match. The attached wear instructions will constitute regulatory guidance on the wear of the
ABU until a revision to CAP Manual 39-1 is released.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

What is this from?

Eclipse

^ The original ABU announcement memo & ICL from NHQ in May 2016.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20996.0

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

If "blending" was a concern, how hard would it have been to wear the official CAP uniform polo?