flight suit - olive drab vs sage green?

Started by spree610, July 01, 2016, 01:46:44 PM

spree610

Hey folks,

New guy here. I've been researching flight suits since I moving into Air Crew. Has there been any discussion about the olive drab (OD) AF style flight suit vs the modern sage green version color-wise? Seems most vendors only carry sage green these days (even Propper) and I'm only finding the OD color on old surplus sites or eBay and M39-1 specifically says Olive Drab.

So what are the current thoughts? Is there really a color difference? Is Sage green acceptable?

Thanks.

Abby.L

Honestly, I don't think most people(Myself included) have even realized that there were two different colors. My mild-mannered AD Air Force alter ego wears the(What I'm guessing to be) sage green one, though I've thought about commandeering one to outfit it for CAP use.

To be honest, the flight suit looks fairly "OD Green" to me.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

Standing next to a modern one you can see the difference.  The older ones also tend to have thicker material and an occasional
unusual pocket or epaulets.

Since you don't actually need a flight suit anyway, your best bet if you're going to get one is look like everyone else.

That or get a blue one.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

I just realized that the new 39-1 specifies O.D. green; I honestly don't remember if the old 39-1 specified OD as well. Regardless, it's wrong.

The CWU-27/P comes in several colors, but none of them are O.D. green. The standard is sage green and that's what you should get. You can find them on eBay for very little ($20-30). You can also find new CWU-27/P Style flightsuits for $50.00, note that these are not Nomex.

As an interesting note, while the Propper flight suit doesn't come in OD green, they do have an option for Freedom Green.

ETA: The MILSPEC for flight suits from 1979 does specify that the CWU-27/P will be sage green, USAF color shade No. 1565.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Eclipse on July 01, 2016, 02:23:10 PM
Standing next to a modern one you can see the difference.  The older ones also tend to have thicker material and an occasional
unusual pocket or epaulets.

Since you don't actually need a flight suit anyway, your best bet if you're going to get one is look like everyone else.

That or get a blue one.

The green bag with the perma-creases, 'happy pockets' and epaulets is the short-lived McPeak zoom bag aberration and is no longer used. The current bag is the CWU-27/P. It originally came in OD green, later changed to sage green and the newest issue is the Freedom Green which matches better the color on the Nomex jacket (CWU-45/P and CWU-36/P).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Flying Pig

Put the two together and there is a difference.  We use the sage green at work.  The old, OD Green just looks dirty and it fades to yellowish tint after a while if you are in a place with a lot of sun.

Okayish Aviator

I'm wondering if they will also start allowing the desert tan shirts with the flight suits... I know they sure are cooler than black, especially in the Florida sun. I'll take anything I can get to stay cool. 8)
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Eclipse

Olive Drab                                                                 Freedom green, which to my eyes actually has some gray in it.

"That Others May Zoom"

spree610

Yeah that's quite a color difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying Pig

Quote from: Eclipse on July 02, 2016, 01:38:56 AM

Olive Drab                                                                 Freedom green, which to my eyes actually has some gray in it.

The bottom one is accurate, but the top one the pot smoking stoner is wearing isn't sage green.  That's not even an American flight suit.

GaryVC

The olive drab flight suites were made of cotton and were lighter in color than the current ones. They were replaced sometime in the 1960s.

Hawk200

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 04, 2016, 01:09:48 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 02, 2016, 01:38:56 AM

The bottom one is accurate, but the top one the pot smoking stoner is wearing isn't sage green.  That's not even an American flight suit.
At first look, it seemed more like a tanker suit that someone sewed a piece of Velcro. Second look, I don't know what it is.

AirAux

The one without the guy in it looks like the sage green I wore in the Army in the late 60's...

Al Sayre

The one on the left looks like a Chinese knock-off and it's pretty shiny for nomex or aramid fiber.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

NIN

One of the guys in my unit has the suit on the left.

Its... weird.

its almost like someone made a knock-off of the regular USAF flight suit by listening to someone describe the original flight suit to him over the phone.

The cut of the suit is weird.
The chest pockets are weird.
The color is "off"
the velcro is "off"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

grunt82abn

Quote from: NIN on July 26, 2016, 06:48:51 PM

Its... weird.

its almost like someone made a knock-off of the regular USAF flight suit by listening to someone describe the original flight suit to him over the phone.

The color is "off"
the velcro is "off"

It looks more like a Combat Vehicle Crew Suit that I used to wear when I was on a M109A6 Paladin.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

PHall

Quote from: grunt82abn on July 27, 2016, 02:46:11 AM

Its... weird.

The color is "off"
the velcro is "off"

It looks more like a Combat Vehicle Crew Suit that I used to wear when I was on a M109A6 Paladin.

Don't those have the "handles" so you can be pulled out of your burning vehicle?
Because I don't see them on this one.

grunt82abn

Quote from: PHall on July 27, 2016, 02:57:58 AM

Its... weird.

The color is "off"
the velcro is "off"

Don't those have the "handles" so you can be pulled out of your burning vehicle?
Because I don't see them on this one.
The newer ones have handles, I believe that started 2009.
Sean Riley, TSGT

NIN

Its... weird.

The color is "off"
the velcro is "off"

Definitely not a CVCU

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

grunt82abn

Quote from: NIN on July 27, 2016, 05:41:18 AM

Its... weird.

The color is "off"
the velcro is "off"

Definitely not a CVCU
Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean Riley, TSGT