BDU with New Tapes

Started by Damron, June 17, 2016, 06:39:22 PM

stillamarine

Quote from: Damron on June 25, 2016, 10:17:18 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on June 22, 2016, 04:21:32 PM
Quote from: Damron on June 22, 2016, 04:36:49 AM
Quote from: raivo on June 21, 2016, 10:05:15 PM
Quote from: winterg on June 21, 2016, 07:04:06 PMI had a member last year take his uniform to the alterations shop at Macdil AFB. He got it back and the squadron patch wasn't even close to being centered!

The alterations shop at FE Warren thought I was a time traveler for bringing in BDUs.

Unlikely they would see too many Navy or Marine folks.   :)

Uhh....The Navy and Marines don't wear BDUs either. Since before the Army and AF.

A couple of Navy and Marine units are wearing BDU's, including BUDS school and deployed SEALs when desired.

While yes NSW and MARSOC wear M81 patterened cammies they aren't the same BDUs we are talking about. They are wearing stuff madeby Crye and other high end manufacturers. The point is it's not something you see on a regular basis and dang near never seen in garrison.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

grunt82abn

Quote from: stillamarine on June 26, 2016, 03:05:00 PM
Quote from: Damron on June 25, 2016, 10:17:18 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on June 22, 2016, 04:21:32 PM
Quote from: Damron on June 22, 2016, 04:36:49 AM
Quote from: raivo on June 21, 2016, 10:05:15 PM
Quote from: winterg on June 21, 2016, 07:04:06 PMI had a member last year take his uniform to the alterations shop at Macdil AFB. He got it back and the squadron patch wasn't even close to being centered!

The alterations shop at FE Warren thought I was a time traveler for bringing in BDUs.

Unlikely they would see too many Navy or Marine folks.   :)

Uhh....The Navy and Marines don't wear BDUs either. Since before the Army and AF.

A couple of Navy and Marine units are wearing BDU's, including BUDS school and deployed SEALs when desired.

While yes NSW and MARSOC wear M81 patterened cammies they aren't the same BDUs we are talking about. They are wearing stuff madeby Crye and other high end manufacturers. The point is it's not something you see on a regular basis and dang near never seen in garrison.

The Pre-BUDS just wear plain old BDU's. I see them on a daily basis on NavSta Great Lakes, and I can attest that they are not the high end M81's.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

stillamarine

But again. That's a very very very small number. So saying that Navy and Marines wear BDUs is inaccurate. Even AFSOC wears M81 at times so let's just say the AF wears BDUs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

grunt82abn

Granted, very small number, but just wanted to put it out there that I still see them in use by a regular Navy unit, even though they are all trainees.
Sean Riley, TSGT

Damron

Quote from: stillamarine on June 26, 2016, 11:32:05 PM
So saying that Navy and Marines wear BDUs is inaccurate.

The classic woodland BDU is currently worn in BUD/S training and by deployed SEAL's.  So, it's accurate to say that the Navy is still wearing BDU's. 

As far as the Marines (MARSOC), some are wearing an M-81 patterned uniform made by Crye Precision, others aren't happy with the durability of the Crye version and have returned to the classic BDU.    Both are called BDU's by Marines and the Crye would certainly be acceptable for CAP use.  So, the Marines are wearing BDU's, classic and slight variation.

And, while I'm editing, BDU's are worn at the JOTC school, so the Army is still wearing BDU's.

Are you willing to split the same hairs in CAP?  For all the CAP members that aren't wearing mil-spec BDU's, are you ready to claim that they aren't BDU's?  After all, we allow a wide range of fabrics and small variations in cut seen from different manufacturers.  Be consistent. 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Isn't this about enough of the urinating competition? Is it serving any useful purpose at all? No one is  apparently going to change their minds over this, so let's just move on.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ProdigalJim

The intensity of an argument is often inversely proportional to the stakes.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

stillamarine

Quote from: Damron on June 27, 2016, 04:04:09 AM

The classic woodland BDU is currently worn in BUD/S training and by deployed SEAL's.  So, it's accurate to say that the Navy is still wearing BDU's. 

As far as the Marines (MARSOC), some are wearing an M-81 patterned uniform made by Crye Precision, others aren't happy with the durability of the Crye version and have returned to the classic BDU.    Both are called BDU's by Marines and the Crye would certainly be acceptable for CAP use.  So, the Marines are wearing BDU's, classic and slight variation.

And, while I'm editing, BDU's are worn at the JOTC school, so the Army is still wearing BDU's.

Are you willing to split the same hairs in CAP?  For all the CAP members that aren't wearing mil-spec BDU's, are you ready to claim that they aren't BDU's?  After all, we allow a wide range of fabrics and small variations in cut seen from different manufacturers.  Be consistent.

The point was that it is a small number. Not enough to say the particular service is wearing them. It is a small percentage. If we want to split hairs then the correct phraseology would be that ALL the services are still wearing BDUs (Which no Marine calls them BDUs anyways).

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Damron

Quote from: stillamarine on June 27, 2016, 02:16:59 PM

The point was that it is a small number. Not enough to say the particular service is wearing them. It is a small percentage. If we want to split hairs then the correct phraseology would be that ALL the services are still wearing BDUs (Which no Marine calls them BDUs anyways).

Given the variety of "utilities" that Marines are wearing, guess what Marines are calling their woodland camo utilities to differentiate them from other utilities? 

stillamarine

Quote from: Damron on June 27, 2016, 03:37:40 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on June 27, 2016, 02:16:59 PM

Given the variety of "utilities" that Marines are wearing, guess what Marines are calling their woodland camo utilities to differentiate them from other utilities?

According to two old shipmates (One CWO4 and one GySgt) that are still serving I just text and asked? Old Cammies. Literally lol. Actually one's words were "Who the hell calls anything BDU anymore? We've never done it."

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Luis R. Ramos

The word "anymore" usually is used to mean "while we may have called that stuff XYZ, we do not do it now."

So IF you were told "Who the hell calls them anymore XYZ?" it means usually they were calling it/them XYZ. Otherwise he/she would have said "Who the hell calls them XYZ?"
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

stillamarine

He was referring to doggies and flyboys. We jarheads don't call them BDUs, and while utilities is said often the term mainly utilized by said jarheads is cammies. Don't matter what kind it is. If it's camouflaged we call them cammies.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Damron

Quote from: stillamarine on June 27, 2016, 05:31:28 PM
He was referring to doggies and flyboys. We jarheads don't call them BDUs, and while utilities is said often the term mainly utilized by said jarheads is cammies. Don't matter what kind it is. If it's camouflaged we call them cammies.

Yeah, sounds about right.  On a related note, all it takes is one person to impact the vocabulary of a platoon. 

LATORRECA

I'm a AD Marine, however knowing this audience, I will call the tricolors cammies and refer to them as BDUs because that's how most of the people on this blog knows them as. Come on Guns you know better.

MSgt L.

grunt82abn

I haven't heard the Army called doggies in a very long time!!! Kinda missed being called that
Sean Riley, TSGT

Ozzy

Quote from: supertigerCH on June 20, 2016, 11:18:15 PM

yes, there does appear to be a slight difference in the shade of the dark blue (it being darker on the stripes)...

however, in terms of all the colors that we could be wearing, this is an amazingly good choice.  I don't know about anyone else for sure... but I reckon most everyone will agree.

if all we have to worry about is a very sight shade of difference in the dark blue (that most people wont even notice except when in bright sunlight)...  then I am more than okay with it.

So I received my Vanguard order. The tapes are lighter then the stripes, but again, not noticeable unless they right next to each other. The light silver is darker then expected. The name tags are slightly different, CAP tapes seem to be normal font while the name tapes seem to be bold. Finally, the color Vanguard calls these are...

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

DakRadz

At least the names are not the super tall, skinny, whole-tape encompassing size of the past. Been worried about that.

As a cadet, the sole reason I ordered from the Hock Shop, actually.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

LTC Don

I received a large part of my order yesterday, and had previously received this email from Vanguard, even though I specified that the whole order be shipped when complete:

QuoteDear customer,
Thank you for your online order.  The item listed below is currently on backorder.

ITEM: CAP6010 CAP SENIOR LT COLONEL EMB ON AF BLUE
ITEM: CAP6305 CAP GORTEX JACKET TAB OFFICER LTCOL EMB ON AF BLUE
We are expecting them to arrive mid July. 
We will keep this item on order for you, but please let us know if you would prefer to cancel.
Thank you for your purchase and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

VANGUARD INDUSTRIES
Internet Department
WWW.VANGUARDMIL.COM

Like Ozzy, I'm wondering about the 'AF BLUE' statement.  I wonder if this navy/midnight/dark/whatever blue color they are using is AF Shade 1620.

Also, the embroidered command insignia, like the ones in ultramarine, are absolute crap whereas the embroidered Master Ground Team insignia look great.   ::)
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Toad1168

I think they look good.  Obviously not folded.

Toad