Russian Bomber Overflies US Naval Base

Started by Tubacap, August 09, 2007, 08:08:51 PM

jimmydeanno

Anyone notice this...?

QuoteA Russian bomber flew over a U.S. military base on the Pacific island of Guam

QuoteU.S. officials told CNN, however, that the two bombers came no closer than 100 miles to any U.S. aircraft and no closer than 300 miles to the Navy ships, and that there was no visual contact.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 17, 2007, 05:34:42 PM
Anyone notice this...?

QuoteA Russian bomber flew over a U.S. military base on the Pacific island of Guam

QuoteU.S. officials told CNN, however, that the two bombers came no closer than 100 miles to any U.S. aircraft and no closer than 300 miles to the Navy ships, and that there was no visual contact.

ummm what the crap

RogueLeader

Anyone notice this...?

Yup, sure did.  Saw them with my own two eyes. . . I've been told that I have GREAT distance vision ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

A.Member

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 09, 2007, 09:42:51 PM
Putin is a Communist.  Remember the saying "Once a Commie, always a Commie". 
It's funny, on that same topic I was privileged enough to sit in on a meeting recently in which Colin Powell spoke.  One of the stories he told was in reference to Mr. Putin.  He says (paraphrasing):  "President Bush called me into his office after a meeting with Mr. Putin.  The President said, "Colin, I've looked into his eyes and I see his soul."  to which Gen. Powell responded, "Mr. President, I too have looked into his eyes...and see KGB".  ;D

Good stuff right there.  That's why I love the General. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

dougsnow

It turns out that these are not exercises, after all - Russia apparently decided to return to the practice of regular patrols by its strategic bombers. Speaking at the end of the "Peace Mission-2007" military maneuvers conducted by the countries of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, President Putin announced that "Russia's strategic aviation will resume patrols on a permanent basis":

At midnight, today, August 17, 14 strategic missile-carriers, support and refuelling aircraft took off from seven air force bases in different parts of the Russian Federation and began a patrol involving a total of 20 aircraft. As from today, such patrols will be carried out on a regular basis. These patrols are strategic in nature.

Source: http://russianforces.org/blog/2007/08/this_is_not_a_test_russia_resu.shtml

I give this source extremely high marks.

RogueLeader

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 10, 2007, 04:23:51 AM
So, should we reactivate SAC and Operation Chrome Dome?
Bump.

I concur. . . opps. . . .my post, oh well, I still concur.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

shorning

Quote from: JC004 on August 17, 2007, 05:42:10 PM
Anyone notice this...?

ummm what the crap

Um..."visual" isn't the only way we track aircraft folks...

Duke Dillio

All of your bases are belonging to us!!!

BTW, anyone take a shot at the bomber or were they just gonna wait until it crashed on its' own?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: shorning on August 20, 2007, 06:14:28 AM
Quote from: JC004 on August 17, 2007, 05:42:10 PM
Anyone notice this...?

ummm what the crap

Um..."visual" isn't the only way we track aircraft folks...

My point is that the Russians said they flew "OVER" the base and the Americans said they came no closer than 100 miles to any US aircraft or 300 miles from any US ship.  Unless the base is empty, someone is lying...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Duke Dillio

Maybe the Russians need to upgrade their optical equipment.  Perhaps the "base" they flew over was something else?