Air Force Academy Interview - Uniform, or No Uniform?

Started by TheSkyHornet, September 28, 2018, 08:23:08 PM

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on October 06, 2018, 03:29:02 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 06, 2018, 02:56:26 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2018, 11:14:24 PM
Ask the person you will be meeting with what the appropriate dress is.

What? Ask somebody outside CAP to decide what a CAP cadet should wear?

No.

Ask someone inside the Air Force Academy what an applicant to the Air Force Academy should wear.

But their recommendation to wear somebody else's uniform would be gauche.

As I said before - in my opinion, the best solution would be for CAP NHQ. to issue guidelines as to the appropriateness of when and where to be garbed in a CAP uniform. USAFA doesn't get a vote on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Spam

OP, here's my suggestions*:

1/ Wear a conservative dark suit. Wear it in such a manner, with such erect bearing and behavior and with such military grooming and presence, that it becomes painfully obvious that you are an outstanding candidate for military service. 

2/ Couple that with a well put together resume of your CAP service, carefully noting all activities and honors. If you must, consider enclosing a sharp color head and shoulders pic of you with ribbons/decorations as evidence (grin).

3/ Present yourself for the interview as if you were going before a board of review. Customs and courtesies: knock at the door frame/pause, stand until invited to be seated, meet their eyes, address the center chairman, etc. You should know the drill already. The uniform of the CAP is not the uniform you want to be wearing.

Good luck - let us know how it turns out, ok?

V/r
Spam

* My suggestions are based on working with over two dozen successful USMA/USNA/USAFA/USCGA applicants, plus my own experience years ago in wearing a suit for a Navy commissioning interview, where  was the only one in the hall of applicants (all in suits, btw, including prior service enlisted) who called them to order and to make a hole for the reviewing officers trying to pass (the officers paused and noted that, and mentioned it later and I ended up being asked out to lunch by them afterwards... lol).

Eclipse

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 07, 2018, 05:10:57 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 06, 2018, 03:29:02 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 06, 2018, 02:56:26 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2018, 11:14:24 PM
Ask the person you will be meeting with what the appropriate dress is.

What? Ask somebody outside CAP to decide what a CAP cadet should wear?

No.

Ask someone inside the Air Force Academy what an applicant to the Air Force Academy should wear.

But their recommendation to wear somebody else's uniform would be gauche.

As I said before - in my opinion, the best solution would be for CAP NHQ. to issue guidelines as to the appropriateness of when and where to be garbed in a CAP uniform. USAFA doesn't get a vote on that.

Of course they do, both practically and philosophically, at least in regards to the negative.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Spam on October 07, 2018, 08:14:59 AM
* My suggestions are based on working with over two dozen successful USMA/USNA/USAFA/USCGA applicants, plus my own experience years ago in wearing a suit for a Navy commissioning interview, where  was the only one in the hall of applicants (all in suits, btw, including prior service enlisted) who called them to order and to make a hole for the reviewing officers trying to pass (the officers paused and noted that, and mentioned it later and I ended up being asked out to lunch by them afterwards... lol).

Doesn't work that way anymore. Officer candidate interviews are done in the office like any other recruit. It really wasn't even an interview so much as answering the questionnaire. They were wearing civilian athletic clothing when I first went in, and their khakis or NWUs the other days (I think three sessions). Very informal. I asked what to wear ahead of time, to which I was told, "Whatever's comfortable; this isn't a review board." In fact, I never saw the review board. I shook the CDR's hand after swearing in, and that was about it.

But I get the point.