Uniform Briefing Feedback

Started by Hyperion, October 13, 2015, 05:43:22 AM

Hyperion

Good evening all,

I am a new SM (4 months in) and I am trying to hit the ground running. I will be assisting in the creation of a new flight and would like to create some briefings a few months out before we charter. This is the first time I have created a CAP briefing and I'd like for anyone to give me some feedback on it so I can make it perfect. (E.g. not too long, covers enough basic details, etc.) Thank you for your assistance.

Attached: Blue Service Uniform Guidelines PDF
To serve in silence.

Fubar

Very well done. I like the example photos of what is a no-no. Only quibble is I'd slightly change a line on slide 3: This uniform is the current service uniform that the Air Force wears should be This uniform is similar to the current service uniform that the Air Force wears as our uniform is obviously different.

Nice work!

Hyperion

Excellent catch! I had completely forgotten about that wordage needing to be different. My mind just defaulted since I still feel like I'm back in my JROTC / ROTC days. It's going to be a long journey understanding the differences in CAP but I look forward to it. I appreciate it, Fubar.
To serve in silence.

NIN

This is a great presentation

Couple minor suggestions:

Slide 5: It might be helpful to have an image showing the correct config (slide 6 shows the opposite side of the flight cap... totally unhelpful!)

Slide 7: The 39-1 says that the flight cap is word "approximately one inch from the eyebrows"   This accounts for people with different size/shape brain housing units and tends to preclude enterprising cadets from whipping out a stitch gauge on this particular item during inspection (which they will if you provide an absolute measurement)

Slide 9: Nowhere in the 39-1 does it suggest "grounding" the shoulder marks on the epaulet.   That is *certainly* a best practice, but you won't find it in the manual.  I'm not saying remove it from your presentation, but be aware that some barracks lawyer will say "The manual doesn't say that, sir!" You should say things like "pull the shoulder marks all the way down to the end of the epaulet for best appearance"  or something similar when presenting.

Slide 12: " Officers typically do not wear their ribbons on this uniform."   Not spelled out in 39-1, but this is the customary wear method for USAF officers.  It is difficult to get people to follow the manual, right? So it can be even more difficult to get them to do something that is considered "customary." (you will get those people who have it in their head that you cannot do anything BUT wear ribbons with that uniform. Be prepared)

Slide 20: please put "Do not wear white socks" in bold flashing text. :)  (seriously, I have several cadets, NCOs, even, who seem to think that white socks are A-OK.. Even after multiple corrections. <facepalm>)

And I learned from this that my grey USAF wool scarf is no longer authorized. Whoops.  time for a new black one.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Capt Thompson

Great guide! Couple things:

Members 18 and over must meet weight standards to wear the USAF style uniform. Cadets under 18 do not have to meet weight. All members must meet grooming.

Cadet NCO's may wear the service cap if used for Honor Guard.

Other than that everything looks accurate and well presented.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

winterg

Looks great. The little changes I noticed have already been suggested.

I have a rough draft of a similar presentation just for senior members that highlight the proper way to wear the class B and aviator combo as these are the only required uniform a member must own. Somehow too many members get the Polo combo first and think that is the only uniform they ever need. 

Hyperion

These are some great observations on the presentation that hadn't even crossed my mind. Thank you all for taking a look, it'll help me avoid potential cadet lawyers in the future during briefings. Does anyone know if NHQ has any up-to-date slides on the uniforms like this? I couldn't find any when I searched so I decided to make my own, but it'd save a lot of time in the future if there was. (Especially for Corporate attire.)

Also don't feel bad NIN; when I first put on the BDU I asked both my parents (they both wore the BDU's for the AF back in the day) about what belt is needed and they simply said the same blue belt that you wear on the Service Dress. Unfortunately, they didn't clarify that the belt was the same but the tip / buckle were not! So for a few months I was wearing a nice shiny chrome belt that no one ever saw. Oops. (The one time I didn't read 39-1.)
To serve in silence.