Main Menu

New Member Checklists

Started by JC004, September 29, 2015, 02:45:30 AM

JC004

Does anyone have any locally-produced new member checklists (or guides) that gives a quick explanation of what people need to know, to get started?

Ex: signing up for eServices, ordering uniforms, getting started with ES, etc.

We require some simple overviews for parents, cadets, and SMs.

kwe1009

Here is what my Squadron uses.  These were modified from something that was found on another CAP Squadron's website.  Feel free to use as you see fit.

JC004

Those look good.  They are similar to, but better than a couple other examples I had. 

Some time ago, I re-wrote the old national Senior Member Fast Start handbook and we used that, but that's out of date now too. 

I'm thinking explanatory material and an easy checklist - parents, cadets, SMs.   Probably a print copy to hand them when they start, and an electronic one they can always access. 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kwe1009 on September 29, 2015, 02:53:11 AM
Here is what my Squadron uses.  These were modified from something that was found on another CAP Squadron's website.  Feel free to use as you see fit.

I really like those.

I'm working on a new packet for incoming cadets. It's going to take me some time to get them squared away, but I'll share when I get that all done (and approved by CC).

kwe1009

Quote from: JC004 on September 29, 2015, 08:00:41 PM
Those look good.  They are similar to, but better than a couple other examples I had. 

Some time ago, I re-wrote the old national Senior Member Fast Start handbook and we used that, but that's out of date now too. 

I'm thinking explanatory material and an easy checklist - parents, cadets, SMs.   Probably a print copy to hand them when they start, and an electronic one they can always access.

I have been wanting to put together a checklist but just haven't had the time.  That is something that we all could really use.

JC004

What I truly want is an interactive (online), individualized one that members can use to track their progress and their mentor, as well as CP or PD staff, could monitor.

But my computer is fried, so custom programming is out of the question for a while.  That said, needing to consolidate/move my files has benefits - I'm sorting CAP computer files that I can update, make use of, and share...

kwe1009

Quote from: JC004 on September 30, 2015, 02:08:46 AM
What I truly want is an interactive (online), individualized one that members can use to track their progress and their mentor, as well as CP or PD staff, could monitor.

But my computer is fried, so custom programming is out of the question for a while.  That said, needing to consolidate/move my files has benefits - I'm sorting CAP computer files that I can update, make use of, and share...

This might be something that could be done in Google Docs.  I definitely like the online checklist idea much better.  Save the trees!

BFreemanMA

This is outdated, but it could serve as a good template. My squadron uses this for our new SMs.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Capt Thompson

I'll 2nd Google Docs or Google Sheets. Upload the form into docs for each new member, and share it with them so they have access. Both the mentor and cadet/parent can access and update as needed.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: BFreemanMA on September 30, 2015, 03:54:58 PM
This is outdated, but it could serve as a good template. My squadron uses this for our new SMs.

I really like this.

I'm looking at making a welcome packet for new cadets on top of everything else. I may create one based off of this and include the checklist with it once that's finalized.

Walker

It would be nice for every Squadron to have one of these, or even for NHQ to publish an official form. I'm coming up against this problem right now. My paperwork just got processed, and i'm unclear on what I can do (such as whether or not I can take the CPPT right off the bat) or how long I have to get a uniform together.
SM Nate Walker

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Walker on October 12, 2015, 06:09:29 PM
It would be nice for every Squadron to have one of these, or even for NHQ to publish an official form. I'm coming up against this problem right now. My paperwork just got processed, and i'm unclear on what I can do (such as whether or not I can take the CPPT right off the bat) or how long I have to get a uniform together.

I think there may be an issue with this being a national mandate or national standard. So many squadrons are operated differently than others, and while the overall application process is pretty much the same, each squadron may have their own SOPs when it comes to taking on new members.

Walker

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 12, 2015, 06:38:02 PM

I think there may be an issue with this being a national mandate or national standard. So many squadrons are operated differently than others, and while the overall application process is pretty much the same, each squadron may have their own SOPs when it comes to taking on new members.

That makes sense. Regardless, I may bring up the making a welcome packet for my squadron with a CO.

in the meantime, how should I approach getting this information? I'm having a hard time getting in touch with the Deputy Commander of Seniors (who has helped me through the beginning stages of this).
SM Nate Walker

RogueLeader

Even if you're application hasn't been processed yet, you can find the CAP Publication 50-4, which is the foundations course and start learning the material.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Walker on October 12, 2015, 07:09:54 PM

That makes sense. Regardless, I may bring up the making a welcome packet for my squadron with a CO.

in the meantime, how should I approach getting this information? I'm having a hard time getting in touch with the Deputy Commander of Seniors (who has helped me through the beginning stages of this).

You'll find that you're going to have a hard time getting in touch with a lot of people throughout your CAP career, including those that you would think are easy to contact.

I can't speak for a senior member welcome packet, but I'm in the works on getting a cadet welcome packet written up. It will include all of the basic "How To" material (website, email, contacting cadets in the chain of command, equipment items), plus a training guide that will correlate with our training program.

Checklists are good references for the squadron staff to track progress, but they're pretty empty purposed for new members who don't know what a lot of the stuff on the checklist means, where to find it, or how to achieve it.

Walker

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 12, 2015, 07:42:39 PM

You'll find that you're going to have a hard time getting in touch with a lot of people throughout your CAP career, including those that you would think are easy to contact.

I can't speak for a senior member welcome packet, but I'm in the works on getting a cadet welcome packet written up. It will include all of the basic "How To" material (website, email, contacting cadets in the chain of command, equipment items), plus a training guide that will correlate with our training program.

Checklists are good references for the squadron staff to track progress, but they're pretty empty purposed for new members who don't know what a lot of the stuff on the checklist means, where to find it, or how to achieve it.

Lovely. I believe there's a Cadet meeting tonight, so I'll have to stop in and ask there.

Good luck with the cadet checklist!

A checklist may be the wrong term for what i've been referencing in my posts, i suppose it'd be more of an expanded "getting started" packet.
SM Nate Walker

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Walker on October 12, 2015, 09:36:30 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 12, 2015, 07:42:39 PM

Lovely. I believe there's a Cadet meeting tonight, so I'll have to stop in and ask there.

Good luck with the cadet checklist!

A checklist may be the wrong term for what i've been referencing in my posts, i suppose it'd be more of an expanded "getting started" packet.

I agree with that one there.

These packets seem to have fairly positive results. You see a difference in squadrons where these packets are administered to new members, seniors and cadets, versus expecting new members to get up to speed with a lot of verbal instruction that means nothing to someone who doesn't understand it.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard a parent ask about the training and promotion process for cadets, to receive an answer about obtaining Curry and attending encampment and accomplishing milestones. Parents and new cadets have no clue what any of that means.