Main Menu

CAPF 17 Questions

Started by MIKE, August 07, 2005, 01:09:42 AM

MIKE

I have some questions about filling out the CAPF 17 APPLICATION FOR SENIOR MEMBER ACTIVITIES, as I am making preparations to attend an SLS tentatively scheduled for October.

12. Date and Method of Level I Completion - What if this data is wrong?  Should I include the incorrect course completion date, because that is what  e-services currently shows?  Or can I use my Mitchell award date, which is the actual method of completion?

14. CAP Duty Assignment and Inclusive Dates - Is there a way to get the start date for my duty assignment off of CAPWATCH?  I don't have copies of the CAPF 2As, but it is listed on e-services.

17. Previous Training Activities and Years Attended - I haven't done any of the training listed... Haven't been on a SAREX since my cadet daze... Should I include AEPSM or the Cadet Programs for Senior Members activity I went to back in '03?

18. Professional Development Awards - What do I put here?  Not sure if I am supposed to put things like AESPM.

22. Outline Personal and Professional Goals in CAP - What should I put here?  I want to take the course because I would like to get promoted eventually, and to progress further in the Professional Development program.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Johnston

Major_Chuck

Maybe this will help:

12.  Provide your Wing Professional Development Officer with copies of the correct data and ask them to forward it to National to be corrected.  For the meantime use what is in e-services because that is what they are going to look at for verificatoin purposes.  You might want to even attach a copy of your Mitchell Award with a memo to it.

14.  I don't think the dates actually matter.  Use your rough estimate as to the date that you were assigned to the position.  I am not sure if National actually tracks when the data was entered.  You should however for your personal records have copies of all your duty assignment appointments.

17.  Previous Training.  Include what you've done as a Senior Member. 

18.  Professional Development Awards:  These are the Certificate of Proficiency, Leadership Award, Loening and Garber Awards, etc.

22. Personal and Professional CAP Goals.  Put exactly what you wrote.  You want to advance within the Civil Air Patrol Professional Development Program for Senior Members.  Do you want to command squadrons or work on wing or region staffs?  Do you want to attend National Staff College or become a mentor for rising senior member officers and cadets.  Bottom line, What do you want to do in CAP?

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

MIKE

Thanks for the help major.

I wasn't sure if I should put the Leadership Award down 'cause it already asks for my specialty tracks and level... I kind of figured it was a given.
Mike Johnston

Major_Chuck

Glad I could help.  Depending upon the activity that you are applying for previous courses may have been required.  That would be a good example of 'previous training'.

If you are applying for an instructor position (some course directors have required a CAPF 17 for them as well as the students) listing your previous training, experiences, and awards helps.

-Chuck
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

MIKE

Quote from: Major_Chuck on August 07, 2005, 02:03:51 PM
If you are applying for an instructor position (some course directors have required a CAPF 17 for them as well as the students) listing your previous training, experiences, and awards helps.

I could probably instruct for the Cadet Programs, uniforms and and customs and courtesies portions of the school.  ;D  I'll be attending as a student though.  So far though all the instructors are TBD on the rough schedule I received.
Mike Johnston

Major_Chuck

Quote from: MIKE on August 07, 2005, 02:34:28 PM

I could probably instruct for the Cadet Programs, uniforms and and customs and courtesies portions of the school.  ;D  I'll be attending as a student though.  So far though all the instructors are TBD on the rough schedule I received.

Have you ever noticed that Captain TBD sure does get around.  He's here in Virginia as well! 
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

MIKE

Quote from: Major_Chuck on August 07, 2005, 02:37:32 PM
Quote from: MIKE on August 07, 2005, 02:34:28 PM

Have you ever noticed that Captain TBD sure does get around.  He's here in Virginia as well! 
:D :D :D
Mike Johnston