Tools for a CAP Air Ops / Logistics guys

Started by KyCAP, July 04, 2008, 06:08:37 AM

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

RiverAux

If an airport doesn't have electrical power, I can't see CAP setting up much of an operation there. 

I'm also not sure I'd want to be the CAP guy taking responsibility for runway lighting at an airport either.  Normally, I'm not one of those folks who gets too worked up about liability, but this would seem to be opening yourself up for a lot of grief should something go wrong, especially with a non-CAP aircraft trying to land using my light system. 

SJFedor

Yeah, plus if we were doing flights in and out of disaster areas, I would see that being mostly daytime operations.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Trung Si Ma

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

CadetProgramGuy

Lets talk abotu emergent basis though.

I would use this product as needed for emergencies.  You can't always plan on landing in the daylight only.

N Harmon

Might not be bad for setting up a helicopter LZ in a remote area.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

KyCAP

I guess in theory you could plan to land in daylight 6 months per year in Alaska?
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

IceNine

Quote from: SJFedor on July 05, 2008, 12:43:02 AM
Yeah, plus if we were doing flights in and out of disaster areas, I would see that being mostly daytime operations.

What if its just a shuttle trip dropping folks and running back for another load?  I could see the possibility of nighttime landings be used and necessary specifically after tornado/hurricane type disasters. 

And this may be a great tool to have available maybe 1 per region unless there is higher usage or probability of usage in other areas
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

smj58501

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on July 06, 2008, 12:42:41 PM
Quote from: KyCAP on July 06, 2008, 02:43:50 AM
You need lights to land?

JK.

Only if you open your eyes  ;D

Just click your mike 3, 5, or 7 times depending on your preference for brightness  :P
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: N Harmon on July 07, 2008, 10:03:37 PM
Might not be bad for setting up a helicopter LZ in a remote area.

isn't that why we use vehicles to light Helicopter LZ's?

60 x 60 with 2 vehicles lighting up the LZ if I remember correctly....

Tubacap

^At the threat of a thread drift, lighting LZ's for helicopters is extremely dependant on the particular helicopter you are working with.  One crew in our area does not want any sort of vehicular light on the LZ at all, just cones and light sticks to mark the borders.  They come down with a light that is on the helicopter.

This would definitely be an interesting idea for that application though.  I don't imagine that we could get ahold of enough of these to make them a valuable asset.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

IceNine

The concept of using them for Helo's is awesome, but I agree that the probability of getting them to the LZ in time for them to be set up and and useful is slim.  They would probably be better for more permanent situations like torn up airports with good landing strips.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4