Antenna for EF-Johnson 5317

Started by BigMojo, February 22, 2008, 03:09:33 PM

BigMojo

Looks like I'm getting issued a mobile to mount in my truck, EFJ 5317...one issue, no antenna, supposedly there's an old magnet mount around, but think I may as well just get something. Any recommendations as to what to get? (Through glass would be nice, I'm not a big fan of magnets, and really don't want to drill my truck.

Thanks in advance....
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

KC0IEA

Do not get a glass mount!!
I appreciate that you do not want to drill a hole, but that is the best route.
The closer to the center of the ground plane (conductive roof) the better.
Mounting in order of preference and in general order of effectiveness.
1) Drill hole in the center of the roof.
2) Mag Mount in center of Roof.
3) Pickup stake bed mount. Trunk Lip for car.
4) Gutter Mount.

There are many other options and if you ask 3 hams you will get at least 6 opinions all different.

BigMojo

Thanks...Drilling the roof is out. This truck has about 2 years before it gets traded in, and trying to trade-in with a hole in the roof isn't cost-effective! My truck bed is covered by a hard folding cover, so that's probably out too. Guess a magnet mount on the roof...any idea how tall they are? I do have to get in and out of a parking structure every day.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

brasda91

You're going have several opinions.  I've used a glass-mount antenna on a vehicle when I had my mobile installed for the fire dept.  It worked great.  But that was my situation.  The other question is, is this radio being issued to you or the squadron?  Our Wing has installed our radios themselves, in our corporate van.  Just make sure the radio is for your use in your POV and is not to be installed in your corporate van.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

BigMojo

Nope. It's being assigned to me for my POV. Our van already has one in it. I'm our "first responder" for UDF missions, so Group thought I should have a radio in my truck.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

Major Lord

Actually, you have lots of options, besides the best option cutting a 3/4 hole in your roof top for an NMO mount. There are numerous stsyles of disguised antenna, including the film antennas that go on the inside of car windows, AM/FM look alike VHF antennae, and duplexers that allow you to use your car radios AM/FM whip antenna with your VHF or UHF radio. Check out: http://www.licenseplateantenna.com/ They have a cool undercover license plate antenna, STI makes a good disguise antenna for cars, or just go to E-Bay and type "disguise antenna" to find a whole wide world of suspicious asian antenna products!

I kind of like the Radio Shack product that has a flange that goes over your operating windows, and has a BNC connector outside your car for a whip. You just hang it out there when you need it. Its really made for hand-helds, but with the right whip, should handle 25 Watts okay.

You will find it strangely liberating the first time you cut a hole in the family car with a hole saw....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

BigMojo

Quote from: Major Lord on February 22, 2008, 05:48:09 PM

You will find it strangely liberating the first time you cut a hole in the family car with a hole saw....

Major Lord

Thanks for the insight...I already have one "through glass" scanner antenna, that works GREAT when attached to my Mk4 Sniffer for pulling in EPIRB/ELT signals. So I was hoping I could just get something similar for the opposite side of my back glass. Not a big fan of looking like a porcupine driving down the road...but, we'll see.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

SarDragon

The antenna will add about 2' to the height of your vehicle. My suggestion for dealing with the parking structure hassle is to get a mag mount with an NMO mount on it. Leave the mount on the roof all the time, with antenna off until you need it, then screw it on and do whatcha gotta do. There are caps available to keep the connector from corroding.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

tribalelder

Truck got gutters ? Get a gutter clamp w/NMO mount. A 1/4 wave whip is about 19 inches and is less likely to have height problem in parking structure; a gain antenna is about 40 inches and is your choice for 'the road'. One mount, 2 antennas is one choice.

A disguise antenna doesn't advertise you have a radio aboard, but its performance, whether it's 'patch on the glass' or 'looks like regular antenna on vehicle cowl' has highly compromised performance.  I can't speak for the mystery license plate, but it's mounted lower that the 'patch on glass' or 'looks like regular antenna on vehicle cowl'.  If you use a disguise antenna 'in town', get a mag mount gain antenna for road.

Gain and tallness are your best friends on VHF.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

BigMojo

Because of the folding hard top over the bed, my only options are on top of the cab roof, or the rear glass....I guess I'll go with the mag mount with the removable antenna.

Thanks for the insights guys...I appreciate it.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

JTodd

Quote from: BigMojo on February 23, 2008, 01:28:36 PM
Because of the folding hard top over the bed, my only options are on top of the cab roof, or the rear glass....I guess I'll go with the mag mount with the removable antenna.

Thanks for the insights guys...I appreciate it.

My first antenna was mounted by an "L" bracket under the hood on the front fender.  It worked as well as any others that I've had. My current antennas are mounted on the corners of my headache rack. Works great there also.

Maj  John Todd
Cloud Peak Composite
Sheridan, WY

JoeTomasone

I am currently using a Diamond low-profile mag-mount (http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k702m.html) along with a Comet SBB-1 dual-band antenna for both CAP and ham use.   The reason is similar - I wanted an antenna that required no drilling and would clear parking garages on top of my tall (8') vehicle.

Works pretty darned well, considering.